• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

madrone burl

1. Intoxicated

Intoxicated

While thinking about a name for this piece I googled Urban Dictionary and discovered the slang for fluted is drunk or intoxicated. I thought how fitting for this piece as the bowl being oval must be intoxicated! Arbutus Burl twice turned 11.5" X 7" X 3" finished with 2 coats of tung oil and buffed.
  2. Fluted Arbutus Burl Bowl

Fluted Arbutus Burl Bowl

This piece of burl has some interesting voids so rather than trying to fill the voids I wanted to enhance the piece and leave its natural beauty. The fluting was done on the lathe using a laminate trimmer and a new jig setup I put together recently. The jig doubles as my setup table for branding...
  3. Oval Arbutus Burl Bowl

Oval Arbutus Burl Bowl

It's difficult to take a side photograph an oval bowl without it looking round. Arbutus Burl Oval Bowl measures 13.25 X 9 X 3.25 finished with about 7 coats of tung oil. This piece was rough turned and boiled in Oct of 2022 and re turned over the holidays. All of the turning is done on the oval...
  4. Arbutus Menzies Burl 3 Footed Bowl Morphed

Arbutus Menzies Burl 3 Footed Bowl Morphed

This storm damaged tree was harvested on a mountain side and a ZIP line set up several times was used to move the wood.. This large bowl has a battle scar likely from being bounced off a rock face, you can see a crack near the rim on the far side. The piece was once turned, wet sanded to 320...
  5. Arbutus Burl Bowl Morphed #2

Arbutus Burl Bowl Morphed #2

This is the second piece of burl that was turned green and left for nature to finish its final shape. This one has a flat foot and it stayed near perfect so sits quite stable. The bowl was 16" x 9" and has taken on a interesting form. The cores from both of these morphed pieces will be twice...
  6. Madrone Burl Capsule Box

Madrone Burl Capsule Box

This little capsule box is made from the chunk of Madrone burl I had left from the burl bowl I posted earlier. The photo has a little light square where I can't seem to figure out how to make the gloss not reflect the light so dramatically. Anyway, the size is 2.25 inches tall and 2 inches in...
  7. Madrone Burl Rolled Rim Bowl

Madrone Burl Rolled Rim Bowl

I had a large chunk of Madrone Burl, all dried and ready to turn so I cut most of it into box blanks but saved a piece to make a bowl. Here is the result. Sanded to 600 grit and finished with wax. Size is approx. 7 inches in diameter and 2.25 inches tall. Figure is really nice on this one! I...
  8. Mindless Madrone

Mindless Madrone

Standing 8 inches tall and 4 inches at the widest turned from wet Madrone and drying done in microwave. Coloring is Madrone Juice.
  9. Nested Arbutus Family

Nested Arbutus Family

3 pieces of wet Arbutus turned and dried in the micro wave. Approximately 3 x 4 inches and 3/32 thick. Turned in the dark using a light
  10. Urn

Urn

This urn will go to France as soon as travels are authorized and the conditions are better. Madrone burl, 7 1/2 " diameter, 4 1/2" high, 8" overall.
  11. Urn

Urn

My wife's urn, madrone burl, 8 1/2 " diameter, 7" high, 10" overall. She passed away June 2nd.
  12. Jewelry Trays

Jewelry Trays

Natural edge Jewelry trays in madrone burl, 6"x2", 5"x1 1/2" and 3 1/2"x1".
  13. Madrone Burl Bowl

Madrone Burl Bowl

Madrone burl bowl, 13 1/2"D X 4"H finished with walnut oil.
  14. Madrone Burl Finial Box

Madrone Burl Finial Box

I decided to finish it with a Delt Clear Wood Finish Semi-Glossy
  15. Finial Box

Finial Box

My first attempt on a Finial Box …
  16. Finial Box

Finial Box

My first attempt on a finial box … The box and lid are from a madrone burl and the foot, inlay ring and finial are from dyed hard maple. 5" diameter and 8 1/2" tall
Back