• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hollow forms

1. Hollow-graph

Hollow-graph

Hollow-graph is the latest turned and carved creation to close this year 2023. This walnut piece made in the mass, only the sapwood is carved D 200 x H 130 mm. This piece is no longer available.
  2. Spruce Seed Pot

Spruce Seed Pot

Seed Pot made from a gall that has been dried for around 30 years. I believe the wood to be white spruce. The finish is a mixture of tung oil and candelilla wax buffed to a hard shell. Diameter is 8" and height is 7".
  3. Effect of global warming

Effect of global warming

Turned then carved , skin related aspect, imitating an arid and cracked earth. Selective tint with walnut stain. Colorless wax and Judea bitumen. Maple wood. Approx 7¨¨
  4. Sweet gum spalted I

Sweet gum spalted I

Endgrain hollowed sweet gum 5 wide x 6 high. Finish Watco natural danish oil.
  5. Cherry Crotch with some burl top view

Cherry Crotch with some burl top view

hollow form made from Cherry. Rough parts include cherry amber left in the piece and polished.
  6. Cherry Crotch with some burl

Cherry Crotch with some burl

hollow form made from Cherry. Rough parts include cherry amber left in the piece and polished.
  7. Ginkgo Gold

Ginkgo Gold

Turned from Big Leaf Maple the ginger jar form is 6 1/2 “ X 4 1/4. The surface design is one of my favorite subjects. Ginkgo leaves after they have turned bright yellow in the fall. The background is stippled with a small ball tip pyrography pen. The color is TransTint dye applied with an air...
  8. Stuart Kossover

Stuart Kossover

My name is Stu. I'm finally back to turning after a 10yr hiatus, only to find that the variable frequency drive (VFD) on my VB36 had died. I've spent the last few weeks installing and programming a Mitsubishi D700s VFD and I'm now up and running. I'm most interested in hollow forms and...
  9. Brandon Sloan

Sanding inside hollow forms

I can get a pretty decent finish cut on the inside of my hollow forms but I’m pretty new to this and my idea of decent might be skewed. I’ve never seen any other hollow forms in person and am curious about how far people go to get a perfect interior surface. Also any tips would be welcome. My...
  10. C

Hollowing tools

I want to get into hollow forms so i'm trying to figure out which tool to start out with. I don't like the captive bar systems because they're just too big so I want a handheld tool. I want to do medium/large hollow forms so i'm looking for some advice on which to chose. I have a couple of...
  11. M

New Member Introduction

Hello all, My name is Matthew Little. I recently have signed up for a membership with AAW. I thought the online forums would be a good place to introduce myself. Up until this point I have not been to involved with the wood turning community other than occasionally posting on the...
Back