• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hollow form

1. Spalted Pecan HF

Spalted Pecan HF

I attempted to spalt this chunk of pecan but after peaking inside the bag at 3 months and 6 months I detected nothing but large cracks so I gave up. 3 years later cleaning up my storage area I hauled out the pecan and was about to split it up for firewood when low and behold it had spalted! I...
  2. Apple?

Apple?

...........Not Apple, of course, lol. Walnut, 8x8 inches Could not bring myself to do any more embellishment than this. I thought "Simple, plain, good wood" and let it be.
  3. Navet Noir

Navet Noir

Navet Noir (Black Turnip), 4.5”d x 3.5”h. I started this piece earlier this year for demos. Each “section” showed a different stage of the embellishment process. Friday morning I decided to finish it up to bring to a show that was opening that evening. I’m glad I did because it sold in the...
  4. "Flower Vase" Series #21

"Flower Vase" Series #21

Cottonwood 13.5 inches tall A slightly different band on this one and a few bees to find.
  5. maple hollow form

maple hollow form

I turned this maple hollow for and tried a simple walnut finial.
  6. "Flower Vase" series #20

"Flower Vase" series #20

Cottonwood 12.75 x 6.75 inches #20!!! I am surprised I even made another, they really kick my butt...oof!
  7. Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

I turned this footed vessel from a piece of nicely spalted beech. It is 8.5" tall and 5.5" in diameter. I used a wood burner to create the texture on the banding. I like how the burned texture in the banding accentuates the spalting.
  8. Sweet Memories

Sweet Memories

Sweet Memories Turned from Pear, hollowed, pyrographed, carved, painted, and a touch of gilders paste on top of the carved section. This side shows Japanese women in traditional garb, the opposite side is a Japanese man also in traditional dress, and the other two sides show a Japanese Maple...
  9. Coral Vessel

Coral Vessel

This hollow form vessel was turned with 1/2" wall thickness. It was then carved with a Fordom and Micromotor tools. After the final shape was achieved the surface was burned with pyrography pen followed by India ink and blue gray colors applied with a dry brush technique. The vessel is 6" tall...
  10. kaléidoscope

kaléidoscope

Collaborative piece produced at « grand atelier » organized by Aftab in the Escoulen school. Stained glass inlay by @vitraux_honfleur (Amandine Steck) zinc inlay by @lorinbruckin, manufacturing and crystal inlay by @gonnet.emailleur (Bernard Gonnet) Turning of the walnut shape by...
  11. Maple burl hollow form

Maple burl hollow form

This was out of a hunk of somewhat punky maple burl, that developed a nice spalting. A bit soft, but it came out. Finished with shellac sealer, then several hand applied coats of Resisthane. About 6" in diameter and 5" high
  12. Walnut vessel

Walnut vessel

Walnut with Watco danish finish. 5x7
  13. Three legged pecan

Three legged pecan

Spalted pecan with carved legs
  14. Sycamore Hollow Form

Sycamore Hollow Form

This is a hollow form made out of sycamore it is 4 inches tall 10 inches wide. Comments and cirques welcome.
  15. Long Narrow Neck Hollow Form

Long Narrow Neck Hollow Form

Walnut hollow form was hollowed from the bottom. 11 inches tall, 2 3/4 inches diameter. Lacquer finish.
  16. Maple Burl Hollow Form

Maple Burl Hollow Form

10" x 3.5".
  17. "Flower Vase" series # 17

"Flower Vase" series # 17

Aspen 11.25 inches tall
  18. Purpura Corallium

Purpura Corallium

Maple hollow vessel, carved and textured. Colored with acrylics.
  19. Salvage Job

Salvage Job

I turned this originally about a month ago. Let it dry and just hated it. So, I put it back on the lathe with a glue block and completely reshaped it. I mistakenly picked up some Walnut Danish oil, so I used it here. Polished with Beall system. Green Curly Maple.
  20. Homage to Liam Flynn

Homage to Liam Flynn

West Coast curly maple. Turned and hand carved with gouges only. Danish Oil with some tint. Polished with Beall System.
Back