• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

forum

1. Footed bowl, "spikey", AAW Forum contest entry

Footed bowl, "spikey", AAW Forum contest entry

Spikey is masur birch and blackwood, largest diameter is 8" and height is about 5 1/2". And he is Footed Bowl. I tried to capture something earthy and could-be-alive. Inside was intentionally left rough after hollowing (in fact the last cut was intentionally made "wrong")...
  2. contest bowl 2nd photo, AAW Forum contest entry

contest bowl 2nd photo, AAW Forum contest entry

2nd photo of bowlfor contest
  3. Open segmented footed bowl,  AAW Forum contest entry

Open segmented footed bowl, AAW Forum contest entry

Footed bowl made from Walnut, Maple, and an unknown wood (given to me by a friend who got it from a palet).
  4. Crystal Ornament - Side View

Crystal Ornament - Side View

Alternate view
  5. Crystal Ornament

Crystal Ornament

A Box Elder/Ebony ornament with embellishment of Swarovski Crystal for some sparkle on the tree.
  6. Koru Lidded box AAW Forum contest entry

Koru Lidded box AAW Forum contest entry

Koru Lidded box. Top: Black Maire Box: Ebonised London Plane Height: 230mm (9") Diameter: 93mm (3-5/8")
  7. AAW Forum contest entry-Masur Birch

AAW Forum contest entry-Masur Birch

Another view.
  8. AAW Forum contest entry-Masur Birch

AAW Forum contest entry-Masur Birch

Masur Birch box with Blackwood pedestal, rim and inside-out finial. 3 1/2" diameter by 8 1/2" tall. Buffed Seal-a-cell finish.
  9. Redheart Box, AAW forum contest, View 2

Redheart Box, AAW forum contest, View 2

View with lid removed.
  10. Redheart Box..AAW Forum Contest View 1

Redheart Box..AAW Forum Contest View 1

Redheart Box with Lacewood lid, Redheart Finial. 5-1/2" dia. with a 2-3/4" opening. Walls about 1/8". Finish is wipe on gel poly then beall buffed. I turned 5 finials for this before getting one that I was happy with. This box is dedicated to my turning friends at Flying Curls.com...
  11. AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry

View from left side.
  12. AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry

Chief "Unclear Vision". Height is about 8" and 4" diameter. Material is blackwood and some Australian burl
  13. AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry

Bottom of the platter.
  14. AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry

"Clotwian fish fossil" -platter. This was found from the highlands of Clotwia. During my way back to civilized world one of the aboriginals was able to pinch the platter. Luckily I noticed theft quickly and was able to resque the platter after only few bites. Biggest diameter is...
  15. AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry

"Sleigh Runner II" This is the second in a series of natural-edge sassafras bowls. The primary design goal on this piece was to center the foot within the ring patterns, while maintaining a reasonable balance at the rim. Species: Sassafras Base: 1 1/4" dia Height: 4...
  16. AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry

"Sleigh Runner II" This is the second in a series of natural-edge sassafras bowls. The primary design goal on this piece was to center the foot within the ring patterns, while maintaining a reasonable balance at the rim. Species: Sassafras Base: 1 1/4" dia Height: 4...
  17. aaw forum contest entry second view

aaw forum contest entry second view

I turned this 10" bowl from a tree my neighbor cut down. I left the rim wide and thick because the sapwood was full of sawdust packed tunnels from termites. After turning I removed the termite residue for some natural texturing. After applying the first coat of oil I came out to put on a...
  18. aaw forum contest entry 1

aaw forum contest entry 1

I turned this 10" bowl from a tree my neighbor cut down. I left the rim wide and thick because the sapwood was full of sawdust packed tunnels from termites. After turning I removed the termite residue for some natural texturing. After applying the first coat of oil I came out to put on a...
  19. Mixed media bowl number one

Mixed media bowl number one

Maple and leather.
  20. AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry

AAW Forum contest entry Birdseye Maple, Bloodwood, Mulberry, Bloodwood, Walnut. Diameter - 4.25, height 1.25
Back