• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

flute

1. Umgede

Umgede

Concave flutes in Camphor laurel, oiled n buffed some
  2. Summer 2008 Contest

Summer 2008 Contest

This is an F# five holed native American flute made from Madrone root burl injected with blue dye. This flute plays and sounds well, besides being a fine piece of highly figured wood.
  3. Grandma's Vase 5319

Grandma's Vase 5319

This is a slightly different version of what I refer to as a "Grandma's Vase". My previous post 5318 was what I remembered the shape to be, while this one more represents what I feel the shape should be. Slightly longer curve to a slightly shorter neck. About 9 3/4 inches tall and...
  4. Vase 5318

Vase 5318

This is another vase of the type I refer to as a "Grandma's Vase". It's Manitoba poplar (aspen), about 9 1/2 inches tall and has been treated with aniline dye and patinating wax.
  5. 'Grandma's Vase" 5317

'Grandma's Vase" 5317

When I was very young and my parents used to drag us kids along when they visited older people, more often than not their living room/dining room area had a vase in it which looked a lot like this one. The color and size might vary, and it may be a little bit more or less squat, but this is a...
  6. Fluted & Dyed 5316

Fluted & Dyed 5316

This is another piece of genus Populus (aka Poplar in the Great White North) which has been fluted and dyed. It's about 10 3/4 inches tall.
  7. Dyed Poplar/Aspen 5315

Dyed Poplar/Aspen 5315

This is a piece of poplar (aspen) which has been fluted and dyed. It's about 10 3/4 inches tall.
  8. Fluted Dyed Poplar (Aspen) 5314

Fluted Dyed Poplar (Aspen) 5314

This vase is poplar aka aspen (genus Populus). It measures about 10 3/8 inches tall. It was fluted and dyed with orange and black aniline dyes.
  9. Fluted Ogee Bowl 5306

Fluted Ogee Bowl 5306

Here is an ogee-shaped ash bowl, sandblasted, bleached and fluted to the max, in a staggered arrangement. The bowl measures 10 inches in diameter by about 2 inches tall. The more horizontal direction of the rim results in a more vertical oscillation of the flutes around the rim than previous...
  10. Black Ash Vessel 5262

Black Ash Vessel 5262

This is an ash vessel, which has been turned, hollowed, fluted, sandblasted, and of course, dyed. It measures about 8 1/2 inches tall. It is a variation of a previous piece, 5216.
  11. Fluteus Maximus Staggerus 5261

Fluteus Maximus Staggerus 5261

This ash bowl has been fluted, bleached and sandblasted inside and out. Unlike the previous posting "Fluteus Maximus", this one has the flutes in a staggered fashion, alternating inside and outside to create an undulating pattern on the rim. The previous post had the flutes lined...
  12. Bleached Ash Bowl 5259

Bleached Ash Bowl 5259

This is another in the series of bleached ash bowls that I've been doing. This one has 24 flutes on the outside, none on the inside. Both sides have been sandblasted and bleached. It measures about 11 inches in diameter.
  13. Fluteus Maximus 5258

Fluteus Maximus 5258

This is another in the series of ash bowls that I've been working on. Named because I don't think it's possible to fit any more flutes on this 10 1/2 inch bowl. Fluted, sandblasted and bleached inside and out. Flutes arranged back to back for a ribbed effect.
  14. Both Sides Now 5257

Both Sides Now 5257

This is an ash bowl which is about 10 1/4 inches in diameter. This one has been fluted, bleached and sandblasted both inside and out. Next one will have twice as many flutes both inside and out, lined up back to back..And I may get out the dyes, pigments and waxes
  15. Bleached Fluted Ash Bowl 5256

Bleached Fluted Ash Bowl 5256

This is an ash bowl which has been bleached inside and out, and the outside fluted and sandblasted. It's about 11 inches in diameter. Next--probably drop all pretense of functionality and flute and/or sandblast the interior too!
  16. Fluted, Bleached Ash Bowl 5255

Fluted, Bleached Ash Bowl 5255

This is an ash bowl which measures about 10 1/2 inches in diameter. The outside has been fluted and lightly bleached and sandblasted while the inside has been left pristine.
  17. Fluted Ash Urn 5247

Fluted Ash Urn 5247

This is an ash urn which has been fluted, dyed and treated with liming wax. It has a lacquer finish. Its capacity is about 240 cubic inches and its total height is about 11 5/8 inches. The top is held securely to an inner shelf by rare earth magnets.
  18. Mesquite Box

Mesquite Box

Stopped-flutes accent the exterior. Mesquite wood was reclaimed from the dump!
  19. Yellow and Black Hollow Form 5231

Yellow and Black Hollow Form 5231

This is another in the series of fluted, sandblasted, dyed and waxed ash forms that I've been doing recently. This one, yellow with black patinating wax, measures 6 7/8 inches in diameter by 9 inches tall.
  20. Fluted & Black Wax 5230

Fluted & Black Wax 5230

This is an ash hollow form which has been fluted, dyed, sandblasted, and treated with black patinating wax to accent the grain. It measures about 8 7/8 inches in height.
Back