• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

finishing

1. P

Questions for Best Wood Species & Gluing Up Blanks

2. J

Cleaning finish off of chuck jaws

I have been in production mode getting Christmas presents ready. I may spray eight coats of rattle can finish in a day. Although I try hard not to spray the chuck or jaws there is some overspray. I tried a piece of cardboard with a hole cut in it to slide over the jaws but it kept bouncing...
  3. Jon Rista

Keeping OB Shine Juice Shiny like Glass?

Hello woodturners! This is my first post here, although I've been reading posts for over a year. I signed up as I've been having a heck of a time with O.B.'s Shine Juice. I "think" I really love the stuff, at least initially, as when I first coat my turned items, especially Walnut, the shiny...
  4. D

Finishing options after cellulose sanding sealer and Yorkshire Grit

Actually two questions. As a new turner, I've turned a number of bowls from cherry, ash and elm. Thus far my finishing process has been using walnut oil, then Yorkshire Grit, then two coats of Tried and True Danish oil then two coats of T&T Original. Seems very nice (cherry live edge and...
  5. Al Chavez

Sanding Sealer

I'm beginning to focus on finishing what I've started. It seems that sanding sealers are often applied to pieces at the beginning of the finishing process. Any suggestions on a particular brand? I will be following up the sanding sealer with sanding (of course) then a shine juice application...
  6. Everett Vander Horst

Seeking a plan for a slow-speed finishing machine/jig

I'm looking to upgrade my lathe but can shave nearly $1000 off the purchase price by buying a lathe (Record Envoy) that has a higher minimum speed that I'd like (250 rpm). I can do this if I can build some kind of finishing machine/jig that will hold a chuck or faceplate and turn slow enough...
  7. J

Oil, WD40, etc. around wood?

I started in flat woodworking and one of the cardinal rules was NO oil, silicon, WD40, etc. anywhere it could contact wood. If it happened you could / would have a problem in the finishing stage. Is Woodturning different? I see videos that say to put a little oil on the bushing in a knurling...
  8. Zach LaPerriere

Gloves for finishing

This may sound silly...but I'll try. Does anyone have favorite gloves for finishing? I simply hate gloves. I have been using black nitrile gloves for the last decade or so, and manage to squeak a few uses out of a pair...but I find the fit to be terrible. I'm hoping for something a little...
  9. Steven Park

Salad Bowl Finish Technique

This is a noobie question so be gentle.... I made a bowl out of Jacaranda and sanded it down to 600, used bees was and danish oil for the finish. Yesterday used it for some potato salad and after giving it a quick rinse i noticed the grain came back up and its rough in some areas. Is there a...
  10. Steven Forrest

Compensating for poor color choice

Hi, all, I am turning a bowl of beautiful spalted maple. There was enough degradation of the wood (I like a challenge) that it was difficult to get it truly smooth, between chipping and cracking, but I got pretty close. I eventually tried a coat of Old Masters paste wood filler. Because much of...
  11. R

Turning Resin Vs. Turning wood

What tips do people have about turning resin versus the techniques used for turning wood? Do you sharpen your tools differently? Do you use different types of tools? What level of sanding do you take the surface to before starting a polishing process for finishing?
Back