• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

epoxy

1. Mesquite salad bowl

Mesquite salad bowl

Inside of previous bowl.
  2. Mesquite salad bowl

Mesquite salad bowl

Almost 11" diameter. Some small cracks and one worm hole filled with epoxy. Tried and Tried Danish Oil finish. Comments and critiques welcome.
  3. Mesquite bullseye platter

Mesquite bullseye platter

The pith section from between two bowls. Cracks filled with blue epoxy before any turning was done. I think it finished at around 11" diameter. I learned that this type of platter should be tall enough that you can reach your fingers under the rim to pick it up off the table. Fortunately, the...
  4. Three vases with translucent epoxy inlays.

Three vases with translucent epoxy inlays.

Two in cherry and one in spalted maple, all about 3 inches in diameter. For this photo I put a small led battery-powered lamp in the bottom. Can you figure out how I make them?
  5. Kevin Weir

Epoxy Question

I have been using epoxy to fill in minor cracks in bowls and platters. But I have some blanks that have larger holes and voids. If you have a rough turned bowl with a 1 inch hole in it, what do you use to seal one side so the epoxy does not leak out while curing? I have tried tape, silicone...
  6. J

Casting resin and composite decking?

I got talked into rebuilding a neighbor's deck using UltraDeck® Rustic™ Low-Maintenance Composite Decking. I tried using epoxy to glue two scraps together and the bond would not hold. I was considering asking a friend to take some scraps and cast them into a bottle stopper blank. I would turn...
  7. Gerald Lawrence

Flexible epoxy

Filling some holes in offering plates I am working on . I find System Three T-88 and West Systems G/Flex. Are there any dynamics that would make one better than the other? So far the largest hole in pecan is about 3/4 inch.
  8. V

Homemade Acrylic Pen Blanks

Hello all, I've been reading about acrylic pen blanks and wondered if anyone has used "easy cast" to make them. I'm also a jewelry maker and embed antique postcards in this 2 part epoxy. It dries rock hard and crystal clear. It's considered the best for that application. I have a gallon of this...
  9. Blue 2

Blue 2

The second of the blue series - this one uses various diameter dowels, is a semi-closed form and has a light textured finish that I achieved using spray lacquer over the final epoxy coat. About 6 3/4" tall x 3" dia. Comments & feed back always appreciated.
  10. Blue 1

Blue 1

More in the exploration using dowels and epoxy. This piece uses the poplar dowels and a natural gloss epoxy final coat as a finish. Approx. 7" tall x 3" dia - Any and all comments always appreciated.
  11. Walnut and Green Epoxy vase (b)

Walnut and Green Epoxy vase (b)

Another view of the latest in a series of epoxy and bowl shavings experiments. This piece is "green" in that it uses another bowl as the majority of it's substance...plus the epoxy is dyed green. Any and all comments welcome.
  12. Green Epoxy and Birch

Green Epoxy and Birch

More in the epoxy experiment phase. I completed the most recent of this group last night and will post shots of that shortly. This piece is approx. 6" tall and 2 3/4" at the widest. Trying to test the structural limits of turning epoxy. Comments?
  13. Pierced Walnut Vase - 2nd view

Pierced Walnut Vase - 2nd view

Pierced thin walled vase w/ epoxy "stained glass" effect. An idea that seems worth pursuing. All comments always welcome.
  14. Pierced Walnut Vase

Pierced Walnut Vase

This is one of those pieces that took WAY too long - Pierced thin wall walnut vase, the piercings are filled with multiple layers of epoxy. Got about 90% finished and it flew off the lathe, requiring a major overhaul. Any and all comments welcome.
  15. Spalted Maple w/ Blue Accents

Spalted Maple w/ Blue Accents

This was a really weird chunk (20 x 20 x 10) of spalted maple that we very punky and rotten in some spots. Where there were holes right through the blank, I filled them with a mixture of dyed epoxy and turquoise, building the layers of time. This piece is about 10" tall and is turned to...
  16. Oak Burl with Colored Resin

Oak Burl with Colored Resin

5.5"x 5.5" Oak burl with epoxy putty that has been colored
  17. Walnut Chip and Dip

Walnut Chip and Dip

16x7 Walnut chip and dip bowl. The top part is 3" deep and the stand is an additional 3" piece of walnut providing a deep well for the dip. A void in the upper walnut was filled with red colored epoxy.
  18. Mahogany Platter

Mahogany Platter

17" mahogany platter with redheart and yellowheart strips. The rim has intersecting rings of gold colored epoxy that co completly through the rim.
  19. Cherry burl edge bowl

Cherry burl edge bowl

16x3 This cherry burl I got from Steve in 2001. The blue is colored epoxy.
Back