• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

embellishment

1. Candlestick

Candlestick

21 inches tall, pyrography, carving acrylic and milk paints.
  2. Gnome Village

Gnome Village

After taking a class by Linda Ferber on mushrooms, I was inspired by her work of creating a little scene. I added a couple miniature gnomes to make it my own, thus creating a Gnome Village. Maple, walnut, birch with acrylic paints, bark is unknown.
  3. Hand Carved Vase

Hand Carved Vase

6.5"h x 3"d carved by hand with V Tool, Acrylic paint, Alcohol based dye, Wipe-On Poly. I think it is oak.
  4. Butterfly and Rose Platter

Butterfly and Rose Platter

I took a risk with this one, as I have never attempted this kind of stenciling. The platter is figured maple with two colored designs on the corners. I wanted to keep it simple and elegant. Finished with three coats of semi-gloss lacquer. Size approx. 8"x 2"
  5. J

Dye Penetration

How do you prevent wood dye spoiling the inside surface of a bowl? I have been asked to make a series of salad bowls from cherry or BLM. The customer wants me to color the outside royal blue. This requires a liberal application of dye to get the required color density. I am using Chestnut...
  6. Steve Fairbairn

Using Laser Engravers to Embellish Turnings

For the past couple of years I've been using my laser engraver to do my signatures and engrave Beads Of Courage logos on other turners BOC boxes. Lately I've been experimenting with using the laser to embellish rims of bowls and platters either alone or in conjunction with other colouring...
  7. New work

New work

Remember to visit my demonstration on Thursday, 3-5pm at San Jose in the Instant Gallery room where as one of the four Emerging Artists I will demonstrate embellishments on turnings. I'm the first demonstrator and then turn into one of the videographers for the rest of the symposium. Come...
Back