• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

elm

1. Burl Vessels

Burl Vessels

Collection of Red Elm Burl vessels. Tallest measuring 14".
  2. Spalted Elm Burl Vase 13" x 4 1/2"

Spalted Elm Burl Vase 13" x 4 1/2"

This is another piece of the wood from the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain, MA
  3. Spalted Elm Burl Winged Bowl 16" x 14"

Spalted Elm Burl Winged Bowl 16" x 14"

This is the bottom of the bowl. I turned a 3-footed base from Maple to elevate the piece and get the most out of the Elm
  4. Spalted Elm Burl Winged Bowl 16" x 14"

Spalted Elm Burl Winged Bowl 16" x 14"

The wood came from the Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain, MA. The piece is finished with Minwax Polycrylic.
  5. Spalted elm moon bowl.

Spalted elm moon bowl.

Outside of Spalted elm bowl with carved craters accented by pyrography. Gloss enamel finish. 8 1/2" diameter , 2 1/2" tall
  6. Spalted elm moon bowl.

Spalted elm moon bowl.

Inside of Spalted elm bowl with carved craters accented by pyrography. Gloss enamel finish. 8 1/2" diameter , 2 1/2" tall
  7. Elm bowl

Elm bowl

Elm bowl, 9”x 3.5”, finished with final cut.
  8. Zelkova elm ornament with 24 karat gold tips

Zelkova elm ornament with 24 karat gold tips

Zelkova elm ornament with 24 karat gold tips. Was sanded to 1000 G and has a friction polish finish.
  9. Three of a Kind

Three of a Kind

These three curly elm pieces were turned from two separate blanks that Robin Costelle gifted me when he demoed for our club in April. Finials are Blackwood. They measure 4-7/8" dia. x 5-7/8" tall, 5-1/2" dia. x 6-1/4" tall and 5-1/4" dia. x 7-1/4" tall. All finished...
  10. Elm burl form without finial.

Elm burl form without finial.

This is the same form, without the finial.
  11. Elm burl form

Elm burl form

This is a 12" wide by 4" tall elm burl hollow form, with an 8" maple finial. Comments and critiques welcome.
  12. Elm Platter

Elm Platter

This is a piece of elm burl I parted off a larger blank. 12 1/2" wide. 1/4" thick
  13. Elm Burl vessel with ebony insert

Elm Burl vessel with ebony insert

5"x9" Elm burl with ebony rim, lacquer finish
  14. Elm Bowl

Elm Bowl

Isn't elm a wonderful and beaytiful wood? It's my second favorate after cherry. The legs are maple . It's 16" x 7". Photo: Arlan Heiser
  15. Sphere with Conical base

Sphere with Conical base

Chinese elm, 14 inches tall x 12 inches diameter. Wood recycled/reclaimed from urban tree blown down in Anaheim during big windstorm last Fall.
  16. Elm Vase

Elm Vase

American Elm. 16" tall x 5" max diameter. Neck is about 1.25" od and 0.5" id. It's hollowed to a 3/8" wall thickness. I had planned on fluting / carving the piece, but the wood was so pretty I abaondoned my plans. Thanks to all who gave me advice on the photo. If...
  17. Elm Natural Edge

Elm Natural Edge

12" wide at the wingtips and 6" tall. Wood came from a neighbor's yard. Tree was damaged and had to be removed.
  18. Elm Burl HF on ped

Elm Burl HF on ped

Elm Burl Hollow Form on a ped. 10" wide, 17" tall. I am weak on my spindle turning and I don't really care for these to much. They are not glued yet so I can turn some new ones after more practice. A few before, during and after pics can be seen here...
  19. Tall Elm Vase

Tall Elm Vase

Standing deadwood elm vase approx. 14" x 5"
  20. Elm Vase

Elm Vase

Spalted Elm Vase approx. 7" x 6"
Back