• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

elder

1. Before and After Box Elder, 'recycled firewood'

Before and After Box Elder, 'recycled firewood'

Save a log, turn not burn, pierce not split, brush the paint, not the ashes. All part of my therapy. It warms the inside without the fire.
  2. Maple Box with Padauk and Box Elder Burl

Maple Box with Padauk and Box Elder Burl

Simple Maple box with insets of Padauk and Box Elder Burl. 4" h x 3" w. This was a simple and easy decoration method. I enjoyed making this box.
  3. Red Sky # 3

Red Sky # 3

Side Viwe of Box Elder Bowl
  4. Red Sky #2

Red Sky #2

Inside view of Box Elder Bowl.
  5. Red Sky

Red Sky

"Red Sky" is a 10 3/4" X 4" X 3/32" Box Elder Bowl that originated in Stow, Ohio. On a trip to his childhood home, Chris came accross a tree removal crew taking down a sizeable Box Elder tree. It was less than a mile from where he had once lived. This is the actual...
  6. Box Elder

Box Elder

This is a box elder lidded vessel that stands about 11" tall x 5.5" wide.
  7. Southwestern Box Elder Bowl

Southwestern Box Elder Bowl

This was my first attempt at a Southwestern form. The box elder was green, and was turned wet until finished over a four day period. The size is 8" in diameter, 5.5" tall, with a wall thickness of 0.25". Finished with five coats of gloss lacquer and Beall buffed. The half log had...
  8. Box Elder vase

Box Elder vase

As always, more and better quality images & descriptions are on my site of all my pieces. Box Elder, turned wet to final thickness of 1/8". A fun project, except for the smell of stinky feet. The vase lived in a paper bag full of Box Elder wood chips for 2 weeks before sanding and...
  9. Dyed box elder box cut on the bias...

Dyed box elder box cut on the bias...

Here is a box in box elder that I dyed 3" tall and 3 1/2" in diameter that was cut slightly off vertical. The dye showed up some curl that was barely visible before the coloring process.
  10. Eclipse

Eclipse

Macasar Ebony Box Elder Gold Marker 30" diam. A gift for a 50th Wedding Photo: Arlan Heiser
  11. Box Elder HF

Box Elder HF

Another little hollow form. Box Elder, 3"H x 3-3/4"W. Sanded to 800, finished with Seal-A-Cell, and buffified.
  12. Red Flame Box Elder pic 2

Red Flame Box Elder pic 2

13. Red Flame Box Elder

Red Flame Box Elder

Piece is 6 1/2 x 2 3/4 x 3/16th walls. Finish is General Finishes Poly and triple buffed.
  14. Box Elder, lidded container

Box Elder, lidded container

6" wide by 5" tall. Handle/finial is ebonized walnut. Comments welcome.
  15. Box Elder HF

Box Elder HF

Box Elder. 3-1/8"H x 3-7/8"W. Seal-A-Cell and buffed.
  16. Box Elder and Blackwood

Box Elder and Blackwood

Box Elder and Blackwood. 7-1/2" x 3-3/4". Finished with Seal-A-Cell and buffed. The top piece is a simple ring collar around the rim. Difficult to choose just one photo angle on this piece.
  17. Droplet 5232

Droplet 5232

This is a Manitoba Maple (box elder) "hollowed through the bottom" piece. It measures about 9 3/4 inches tall and has been dyed with aniline dyes.
  18. natural edge box elder

natural edge box elder

to me this is an exciting piece of wood.as andi wolfe has said sometimes nature does such a fine job of decorating.one would not try to embellish it.
  19. Round Bottom Hollow Form

Round Bottom Hollow Form

Another Mothers Day gift for Grandma ... A round bottom Box Elder hollow form with a little burl and some beautiful bright reds. It sure is some pretty wood. Its a little one ... 2 1/2" tall by 4 1/2" wide. I went with a little wider opening on this one, I think it fits the...
  20. Box Elder Hollow Forms

Box Elder Hollow Forms

A couple of small Hollow Forms turned from the scrap pieces of Box Elder burl. The scrap pieces were to nice to burn and I like turning small stuff, its quick and easy. Love that burl grain! Rough turned green and then nuked to dry them out. Around 3 inches tall and a wall thickness of a...
Back