• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ebony

1. Maple vessel with a walnut lid

Maple vessel with a walnut lid

This is the first time I tried something with a lid of sorts. The finial is ebony and also my first time at turning one. About 9 inches across
  2. Small wonder

Small wonder

So it’s all done. I will be doing a little extra work on the finish i kinda rushed it a bit. I did use CA for the finish in this one. That’s not my go to finish but it works if I had done my standard finish it would have taken an extra week or 2 to finish it up. This is a precursor for another...
  3. Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout

Ash hollow form embellished with twisting spiral carving and topped with ebony cap and finial (5.5” x 11”)
  4. Apple and ebony sculpture.

Apple and ebony sculpture.

5 inches tall
  5. Cocobolo with Ebony and Aluminum

Cocobolo with Ebony and Aluminum

Cocobolo vase (5.5"D x 6" ) adourned with a removable ebony collar and aluminum/cocobolo finial. Overall about 11" tall. All components hand-turned by usual method as previous items. Commments and Critiques are appreciated. www.perfectwoodworks.com
  6. Bird of Passage

Bird of Passage

This is a turned off center platter with inlays. The platter is cocbolo. The inlaid black sticks are ebony. The domed circles are 24K gold leaf and are also inlaid.
  7. Curly Maple w/ Lid - Pre Assembly

Curly Maple w/ Lid - Pre Assembly

A shot of the pieces prior to final assembly last evening. This shows the thickness of the vase portion and my ultra high-tech rig. Don't be too jealous. Trying to finish off another piece prior to a show in Blowing Rock, NC on Saturday. Never enough time. I'll post more photos tomorrow...
  8. Curly Maple Vase w/ Lid

Curly Maple Vase w/ Lid

This piece has a rosewood pinstripe and ebony finial. It's about 10" tall and 4" at the widest. I just finished it this evening and so will take better photos in the next day or so. Comments always welcome.
  9. CUSTOM EBONY FOUNTAIN PEN

CUSTOM EBONY FOUNTAIN PEN

MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT CLOSED END PENS, BEAUTIFUL SOLID BLACK PIECE OF EBONY, NOT A HINT OF BROWN, ALSO VERY OLD PIECE, I HAVE HAD IT FOR OVER 5 YEARS AND MY FRIEND THAT GAVE IT TO ME HAD IT LEFT FROM A JOB HE DID OVER 20 YEARS AGO, YES IT WAS VERY DRY BUT SWEET TURNING, AND FINISHED WITH CLEAR...
  10. Eclipse

Eclipse

Macasar Ebony Box Elder Gold Marker 30" diam. A gift for a 50th Wedding Photo: Arlan Heiser
  11. Celestes Valentine

Celestes Valentine

ring box
  12. and_open

and_open

Ring box/holder with a little tray
  13. Valentines coming

Valentines coming

Actually this one is for our anniversary that was yesterday. Maple 6 diameter 1 and 1/4 bowl height and ebony finial 4 inches heigh. With 8 pierced hearts. painted with irridecent acrylics. As always comments welcome . Jeff Greenwood
  14. A Dark Sunset

A Dark Sunset

I haven't posted anything here in a bit, so here ya go. This is my best piece so far IMHO. It's only my 2nd (succesful) HF. Finish is Deft Gloss Laquer, no wax yet. Measures 11" x 8" x 3/16, and the opening is 2.5" (all approx. I forgot to measure, will edit). Not really my...
  15. Osage Orange Box

Osage Orange Box

The finial is a 3 piece w/Ebony and Paduak. 3.5x6.5 I had a "design opportunity." While shortening and flattening the bottom I "designed" a nice little crack on the rim. It now is carved out for a place to put your finger to pry it open. Decent save. The piece was...
  16. Mesquite vase "waterfall"

Mesquite vase "waterfall"

Description: I named the vase
  17. Texas Ebony

Texas Ebony

Texas Ebony semi-open form. 4-1/2" x 1-3/4". Sanded to 800. No finish, only buffed.
  18. Ebony rim series, olive wood bowl

Ebony rim series, olive wood bowl

Olive wood bowl with ebony rim (w/veneer separator)
  19. Ash Bowl

Ash Bowl

7" x 3" Ash bowl with ebony dyed and limed exterior. All comments or questions would be appreciated.
  20. Ash Goblet

Ash Goblet

Ash goblet with ebony dyed and Limed bowl. Captured ring on stem.
Back