• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

carved

1. Roots n Shoots

Roots n Shoots

9.5 inches tall Aspen
  2. Power carved figured walnut bowl

Power carved figured walnut bowl

Carved with burrs and a die grinder
  3. Bottom of Basket Weave ash bowl

Bottom of Basket Weave ash bowl

Power carved basket weave design. Finished with gloss clear enamel. 14 1/4" diameter, 4 1/2" tall.
  4. Basket Weave Ash bowl.

Basket Weave Ash bowl.

Basket Weave Bowl from ash. Bottom carved, top laser engraved. Dyed with alcohol and water-based dyes. Finished with clear gloss enamel. 14 1/4" diameter, 4 1/2" tall.
  5. Imbalance

Imbalance

A basswood cannonball and feather held in a cherry scale above a claro walnut base. All elements were turned. Ball is covered in black acrylic paint, silver rub-n-buff, and a few coats of watered down black and brown paint for weathering. Feather was turned as thin as I dared and then carved...
  6. Spiral Wall Hanging

Spiral Wall Hanging

Big Leaf Maple Burl spiral wall hanging 20" x 18".
  7. Teal mushroom cap

Teal mushroom cap

The mushroom cap ribs are shades of teal. The golden color compliment and highlights the carving.
  8. Spellbinder

Spellbinder

Spellbinder. Maple, pyrography, acrylic paints. Approximately 16” in diameter by 12” deep. The body is turned and carved, and the legs are segmented. Continuing to draw and blend inspiration from the wild colors, textures, and beings that inhabit our world. I think this form ended up loosely...
  9. Cracked Leather Ovaloid

Cracked Leather Ovaloid

An early Ovaloid c. 2019 with what I call a "Cracked Leather" texture on an "Emergent Growth" theme. Carved with rotary burrs. Texture is woodburned with a ball equivalent tip. Color is dry brushed acrylics. It's small, about 3.5 by 3 by 2.5 inches, and lenticular/oval/flattened via the...
  10. Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

Spalted Beech Footed Vessel

I turned this footed vessel from a piece of nicely spalted beech. It is 8.5" tall and 5.5" in diameter. I used a wood burner to create the texture on the banding. I like how the burned texture in the banding accentuates the spalting.
  11. Sweet Memories

Sweet Memories

Sweet Memories Turned from Pear, hollowed, pyrographed, carved, painted, and a touch of gilders paste on top of the carved section. This side shows Japanese women in traditional garb, the opposite side is a Japanese man also in traditional dress, and the other two sides show a Japanese Maple...
  12. The Drone

The Drone

This footed vessel is turned and carved from black cherry. It is roughly 8" in diameter and 6 1/2" tall. The finish is oil based urethane. I named it The Drone because it looks like it is trying to lift off the surface and fly.
  13. Ouroboros (front)

Ouroboros (front)

Ouroboros. A symbol of the endless cycle of life, death, and rebirth Ash, turned, cut and reassembled, burn textured, with acrylic paint. 7” x 9” x 9”.
  14. Ouroboros (back)

Ouroboros (back)

Ouroboros. A symbol of the endless cycle of life, death, and rebirth. Ash, turned, cut and reassembled, burn textured, with acrylic paint. 7” x 9” x 9”.
  15. Spalted elm moon bowl.

Spalted elm moon bowl.

Outside of Spalted elm bowl with carved craters accented by pyrography. Gloss enamel finish. 8 1/2" diameter , 2 1/2" tall
  16. Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter

Cherry wood, pyrography, acrylic paint, 8 3/4” x 13” x 12 1/2”.
  17. Drifter

Drifter

Ash, burned and wire brushed, with acrylic paints, 5 1/2” x 5” x 6 1/2”. My original concept was a small winged bowl with the rim sloping down and transitioning into feet. Sitting flat on the table, the piece looked like it needed a bit more, so I decided to stand it at an angle on a single...
  18. Drifter

Drifter

Additional view. Ash, burned and wire brushed, with acrylic paints, 5 1/2” x 5” x 6 1/2”.
  19. Victory Vase

Victory Vase

I wanted to create a tribute to the Ukrainian people and the battle against the Russians I chose the blue and yellow for their flag colors and the V motif for their ultimate victory over the Russians. While turning the piece I encountered an unseen bark inclusion which I was able to deal with...
  20. Southern Magnolia Bowl

Southern Magnolia Bowl

I spent many hours on this and it is so far my finest piece of work. It is southern magnolia and the leaves were templated from ones picked off a magnolia in my yard. The finish is oil based urethane and artist acrylic paint.
Back