• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

box

1. Pecan and Cherry Acorn Box

Pecan and Cherry Acorn Box

Acorn box 3.5" max diameter at the cap. 4.25" H. Body made from pecan and the cap and base of cherry.
  2. Sapele rose engine box

Sapele rose engine box

4"x3"
  3. Threaded Maple box

Threaded Maple box

Cross-grain Maple box with a hand-chased 8tpi thread. Approx 75mm (3”) diameter. Finished with Hardwax oil and lightly buffed.
  4. Tangential box iteration

Tangential box iteration

Tangential Box~Cherry, Walnut, and Maple. 4 3/8" diameter, 4" H to the top of the finial. I really enjoy making these boxes and have continued to refine the form with each iteration.
  5. Baby Nea

Baby Nea

Small tangential box much in the style of previously posted "Neapolitan Swirl". Walnut, cherry and maple with "darker" cherry for top and bottom. Top is snap fit. Finished with Ack's paste and beeswax. 4.5" diameter, 3" to top of knob.
  6. Cherry Burl Pot Box

Cherry Burl Pot Box

Top is walnut. Finished with Minwax Antique Oil.
  7. Maple box hand-carved and dyed with black spirit stain

Maple box hand-carved and dyed with black spirit stain

Carved with a v-shaped chisel head, then dyed thoroughly with black spirit stain. I didn't know when I finished the inside that I would be coliring the outside, so I waxed the inside, which left a bit of an inconsistent finish.
  8. Maple box hand-carved and dyed with black spirit stain

Maple box hand-carved and dyed with black spirit stain

Carved with a v-shaped chisel head, then dyed thoroughly with black spirit stain. I didn't know when I finished the inside that I would be coliring the outside, so I waxed the inside, which left a bit of an inconsistent finish.
  9. Antler Box

Antler Box

Antler Box. Cherry wood. Turned, carved, acrylics. 2”diameter, 4” tall. Inspired by an antler shed lying about my workspace. My focus was to convey the unique texture and color of the antler while having a bit of fun with the form.
  10. Antler Box

Antler Box

Antler Box. Cherry wood. Turned, carved, acrylics. 2”diameter, 4” tall. Inspired by an antler shed lying about my workspace. My focus was to convey the unique texture and color of the antler while having a bit of fun with the form.
  11. Live Edge Ash Off-Center landscape Christmas tree box

Live Edge Ash Off-Center landscape Christmas tree box

Ash was dyed Transtint Bright Red, scorched, wire wheeled and re-dyed, two shared of gold gilding wax. Pear Off-Axis Tree cut on three axis with different skews, dyed green then some black dye. Silver and Green gilding wax dabbled on tree and ground to simulate snow. All topped with an acrylic...
  12. Striated Walnut box

Striated Walnut box

Walnut with striated grain pattern and oak lid with knob. Two boxes made from same walnut log not 8 inches apart with different grain patterns.
  13. Walnut smooth top

Walnut smooth top

Walnut box with a spaulted pecan lid. About 6 inch diameter
  14. Madrone Burl Capsule Box

Madrone Burl Capsule Box

This little capsule box is made from the chunk of Madrone burl I had left from the burl bowl I posted earlier. The photo has a little light square where I can't seem to figure out how to make the gloss not reflect the light so dramatically. Anyway, the size is 2.25 inches tall and 2 inches in...
  15. Crested Box

Crested Box

Cherry. Turned, carved, burn textured, with acrylics. 3 3/4” high x 4 1/2” diameter. Inspiration came from a mix of flora and fauna motifs without trying to make the piece be anything specific.
  16. Crested Box

Crested Box

Cherry. Turned, carved, burn textured, with acrylics. 3 3/4” high x 4 1/2” diameter. Inspiration came from a mix of flora and fauna motifs without trying to make the piece be anything specific.
  17. Figured Oregon Myrtlewood Tower Box

Figured Oregon Myrtlewood Tower Box

This tower box is made using a really pretty piece of Oregon Myrtlewood. About 2.25 inches in diameter and 3.5 inches tall. Finished with gloss lacquer. My box collection continues to grow....
  18. Story Box: Snowflake

Story Box: Snowflake

Story Box. Top side of the lid, day time beautiful winter snow flakes. The underside, summer flowers glowing at night.
  19. Story Box: Snowflake

Story Box: Snowflake

Story Box. Top side of the lid, day time beautiful winter snow flakes. The underside, summer flowers glowing at night.
  20. Dragon Fly Dance

Dragon Fly Dance

Turned from Maple, Pyrography enhancement, TransTint dye airbrushed and sealer.
Back