• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

bowl gouge

1. M

Bowl gouge type and size doubt

I have a doubt about the gouges I’m going to buy: Should I buy a 1/2 bowl gouge to use for bowl and spindle turning and complement with a 1/4 spindle gouge for detailing or it’s better 1/2 bowl gouge and 1/2 spindle gouge?
  2. M

So I bought a new lathe tool

I picked up one of the Little Beaver's designed by Larry Martin (The Wood Whirler) from their current maker on Ebay. I love this thing. It's like having a super roughing gouge that works with bowl blanks. It has a square, radiused carbide cutter and a serious chip deflector. The tang is 1/2 inch.
  3. Larry Steinmetz

New Turner-Question About Grinds

Hello, In these trying times, I hope everyone is staying safe! I am a new turner (as in still getting my tools together to get started). I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of forum threads about different bowl gouge grinds and am very interested in the 40/40 grind. My question: I...
  4. Mike Heinen

Wtt; Benjamins Best 1/2 in. HSS Bowl Gouge #LX220

I just bought a Benjamins Best 1/2 in. HSS Bowl Gouge #LX220 from Penn State.. When it came I realized I already have one.Just took out of packaging... Just looking to trade tool for tool.... Here is the desciption https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX220.html I have great feedback on Ebay so...
  5. Mark Mapes

New 3/4" Bowl Gouge, Crown 243PM (Powder Metal), $135 [Sacramento CA]

I'm looking to sell a Crown 243PM bowl gouge. This item is new--never even touched a grinding wheel or a blank. I'm selling because the tool's shaft is actually greater than 3/4", so it will not fit in the bolster for the SBTools handles that I use (and the return window at Amazon had closed by...
  6. Lance Mirrer

3 double ended bowl gouges. 5/8", 1/2", & 3/8"

3 double ended bowl gouges. 5/8", 1/2", & 3/8" Great value only $90! All reasonable offers cheerfully considered cpa@taxmancpa.com
  7. Lance Mirrer

One-Way Mastercut double ended Bowl Gouges

2 available 3/8 Retail $83, Asking $60 Shipped 5/8 Retail $121, Asking $100 Shipped Both for $150 shipped. Excellent condition. Product specs and retail cost: https://oneway.ca/products-category/...Ended%20Gouges Please ask questions! If you like, make me an offer. Pics coming...
  8. J

Difference between bowl and spindle gouge in turning a bead

A couple of weeks ago our club had a hands on turning day. I was playing with spindle turning and grabbed a friend's bowl gouge. I could not turn a good looking bead! I grabbed my spindle gouge of the same diameter and successfully turned a bead. This leads me to wonder what was the...
  9. John Torchick

Vibration while turning

I'm playing around with a piece of cherry about 2 inches in diameter, 5 inches long in a SuperNova2 chuck. I'm turning end grain with a 3/8" Benjamin's Best bowl gouge. I have the tool rest set at 90 degrees to the bed. When I start the cut, outside to inside, I hear/feel vibration. I...
  10. J

Do HSS turning tools loose their sharpness over time without use?

The subject line describes my question. What is your opinion? The long story: Last October my club had a professional turner in to teach a wet wood bowl turning class. Being a new turner I signed up and purchased a set of three bowl gouges. The instructor sharpened all three gouges. Last...
Back