• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

birch

1. George Pagliarulo

Turning Birch crotch wood advice needed

Hi, A very dear friend of my wife died recently. This friend loved Birch trees. I want to turn memorial Birch bowls for my wife, two other close friends and the woman’s son. The photo shows three pieces that I want to use. Three of them are pretty straight forward to trim and get ready for...
  2. W

Deleting Posts Q

Anyone know how to permanently delete my old posts?
  3. Birch Burl Plater

Birch Burl Plater

Wild birch burl platter.
  4. Birch Burl bowl

Birch Burl bowl

Natural edge birch burl bowl.
  5. Spalted Birch Bowl inside view

Spalted Birch Bowl inside view

5" diameter and 1 3/4" high. Sides 1/8". Any and all comments welcomed.
  6. Spalted birch bowl

Spalted birch bowl

5" diameter and 1 3/4" high. Sides 1/8". Any and all comments welcomed.
  7. Spalted Birch HF

Spalted Birch HF

Spalted birch HF with ebony finial. I added a small ebony foot on this one. Measures 5" dia. x 12" tall. Finished with antique oil and buffed.
  8. Spalted Birch HF

Spalted Birch HF

It has been awhile since I've had any real shop time but finally I did. My friend Joan Kelly gave me a spalted birch log and this is half of it. It measures 5" dia. x 9" tall to the top of the Ebony Finial. Finished with antique oil and buffed. This started out with a 1/2" opening...
  9. Spalted Birch HF

Spalted Birch HF

Got lucky at our club raffle and got a hunk of dry spalted birch. This is one half of it. Measures 3-1/2" diameter x 4" tall with a 1/2" opening. Finished with antique oil and buffed.
  10. Masur Burch HF

Masur Burch HF

I picked up a couple pieces of Masur Birch at the recent TAW Symposium and this is what I got out of one. I love this wood. This HF is 5" dia. x 5-1/2" tall w/o the finial. With the finial it is 9-1/4" tall. Hollowed thru a 1/2" opening. Finial is Blackwood.
  11. Hollow Birch

Hollow Birch

My first attempt at joining 2 turnings
  12. NE Spalted Birch

NE Spalted Birch

Since it was snowing hard I had time in the shop this morning before logging. I just finished buffing this bowl and wanted to add it to my album. I think this is a nice piece of spalted birch worth saving. It is 6"x11". 3/32" wall thickness with a 2" recessed foot. I soaked...
  13. Mrs. Valery "Thunderbolt" Wishteria

Mrs. Valery "Thunderbolt" Wishteria

In case you haven't heard there was quite a storm in the Garden last night. Luckily nothing serious happened. Only Mrs. Valery Wishteria was hurt by lightning. Quick visit to emergency room and she'll be fine, at least fysically. Mentally nothing seems to be sure. She has been chanting...
  14. Dragonly hot tea

Dragonly hot tea

First and definitely not last collaboration with great polymer clay artist, Prr Sahlberg. As far as we know not that many mixed medium pieces are created using wood and polymer clay. She gave me big box of nice bits and pieces. Fingernails and body jewelry are from that box. Wooden parts are...
  15. Mr. B.A. Stard

Mr. B.A. Stard

It is time to say good bye to folks in the Garden. However before we'll leave them alone I would like to introduce you son of Mrs. Flower Pitcher, Mr. B.A. Stard. There has been strong rumour for a long time that his father is Mr. M.U. Stard himself but no one really knows except Mrs. Pitcher...
  16. Mrs. Flower Pitcher

Mrs. Flower Pitcher

Mrs. Flower Pitcher lives in the same Garden as some other pieces seen earlier. She is masur birch and birch burl, turned carved, dyed, assembled.... I turned it for use too so she is covered with Rustin's Plastic coating to keep her skin in good condition and colors bright. She is about...
  17. Goblet from the garden #2

Goblet from the garden #2

This is another goblet from the Garden. This time masur birch and Finnish soapstone, "vuolukivi" in Finnish. Eccentric turning, some carving, dying and again plastic coating. About 6" high. I wanted to show stones "real" color and that's why I partially soaked it...
  18. Spalted Yellow Birch

Spalted Yellow Birch

I had to show this one. This was one of the nicest pieces of spalted yellow birch I have come across so far. It is a yellow birch bowl I just finished, it is 16.5x5. The rim is undercut to a 3/8 wall thickness. The finish is Russ blend. I chose a foot to elevate to show the grain and figure a...
  19. Spalted Yellow Birch NE

Spalted Yellow Birch NE

This was a good exercise for me in light, sharp tool control, something I needed. The bark was loose and impossible to retain so I used a felt tip to blacken the rim. It has a round bottom, 1/16 walls, and is 9.75x8.75x3. I sealed with Deft and finished with Russ mix. Comments and suggestions...
  20. Yellow Birch bowl

Yellow Birch bowl

Description: I just finished this Yellow Birch bowl. I have always used a foot or a recess in the past but this one seemed to balance well on it's own. It had a lot of chatoyance but I had a hard time capturing it in the photo. It has a round bottom and is 9x4.5. The finish is several coats of...
Back