• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Some Definitions

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
In order to improve the level of communications among woodturners around the English speaking world, it seems worthwhile to define some of the terminology unique to our activity. I'll start with a few:

Valid Opinion -- one's own enlightened viewpoint
Opinion -- what others think
Fact -- see Valid Opinion
Herd Creature -- those who benefit from shared learning
Solitary Creature -- stands away from the herd; AKA lion food
Heard -- Internet rumor; see Fact
Internet Rumor -- Valid Opinion; see Fact
Grind -- waste steel
Sharpen -- waste less steel
Hone -- waste even less steel
Honie -- see OCD definition
OCD -- one who hones
Abrasive -- rubbing the wrong way
Sand -- delivering (I'll sand you a bowl blank)
Weight -- putting sand on a lathe
Wait -- allowing turning wood to dry
Scrape -- barely getting by
Skew -- a different perspective
Gouge -- paying for tools
Detail -- back side of a coin
Parting -- what a turner and his money do
Set Screw -- a screw that sits
Grub Screw -- set screw + ocean
Board -- what grubs do to to turning blanks
Bored -- uninspired
Live Center -- one that still works
Dead Center -- past tense of live center
High Center -- 4WD too far off road
Catch -- design opportunity
Design Opportunity -- catch
Vessel -- something that holds water
Art -- something that doesn't hold water

UPDATES IN RED

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
what's wrong with that doctor. Doesn't he know woodturning heals. I'm sucking down wood dust to compete with the brake linings dust I ingest while bicycling. :) I'm still getting over my sprained wrist. It doesn't hurt while turning, only steering my car and doing push ups. Had to back off the weight doing bench presses but I've been too busy the last few weeks to go to the gym. Hope to get a bike ride in today.

I'm trying to amuse myself while my left hand is healing from haviing a squamous cell removed. For some reason the doc thinks wood dust isn't clean.

Bill- 25+ years ago I had a neuroma on my foot removed, and a bulky bandage on. We just had a garage built and I wanted to move some sand around with a wheel barrel the afternoon and next day from surgery.( taking advantage of a day off work and weekend . Did what I'd do if I had a dog with foot surg. Heavy plastic bag to keep clean and keep the orthopod unaware!!!!
I get cataract surgery May 2, and May 16. Wonder if the plastic bag around head will work;),:D Gretch

Cataract

Been there on the cataract and best not to push. The Eye does not take extra irritation well.
But, like you I think a bag would work well for other body parts as long as weight is not a problem. Oh, Bill enjoyed the list ......maybe you could put words with the same meaning on the same line then I would not have to get eye strain reading all the duplicates......LOL

I get cataract surgery May 2, and May 16. Wonder if the plastic bag around head will work, Gretch

up to a week after cataract surgery they worry about infection, after that should be good to go

go in about 8 am, out by lunch, suggest barbecue , something with some taste after no breakfast

hope all goes well, Gretch

up to a week after cataract surgery they worry about infection, after that should be good to go

go in about 8 am, out by lunch, suggest barbecue , something with some taste after no breakfast

hope all goes well, Gretch

They said I should stick around 10 days PO. But I may sneak out to Mass. on day 7, otherwise my trip is too short and have to work the next week. I'll have a better handle on it after the first surgery. Gretch

Back