• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Symposium in 2016 will be in Atlanta, Georgia

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
In case you did not see the AAW Homepage today, it was announced that the venue of the AAW International Symposium in June 2016 will be held in Atlanta - celebrating the the 30th Anniversary of the AAW.

Have a look at: http://www.woodturner.org/?page=AboutNews

Rob Wallace

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'll go to that one. My parents live in Atlanta so I can afford the hotel fee. In fact I'll check it out next week when I'm there to demo.

Being a Canadian in Northern Ontario I have never joined the AAW. What would be the advantage and cost and what does it take to get into the symposium if I decided to attend. I have been turning for 4 years now and with no clubs no mentors or fellow turners in my area there is only so much you can learn off the internet. I have not considered attending the symposium in the past but if I am going to step up my game it might just be the right time.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I just noticed Atlanta Georgia is 2016 when and where s this years symposium

Sean:

The AAW will have it annual International Woodturning Symposium this year in Phoenix, Arizona from the 13th through the 15th of June. Excellent convention center, convenient hotels, and easy travel into and out of the city by car or by air [I would not recommend hiking in, however! ;) ]

The latest issue of American Woodturner has a great overview of the demonstrators, exhibits, and other events associated with the Symposium. You can also have a look at the following web page for additional information and all of the contacts needed to register, find hotel accommodations, and other pertinent items:

http://www.woodturner.org/page/2014PhoenixHome

It's going to be a great sysmposium. I hope you'll consider attending. I have rarely heard of ANYONE saying that they didn't enjoy attending the National Symposium! Learning, demos by skilled woodturners, first rate vendors, lots of tools, excellent wood, exciting exhibits, like-minded friends, beer, and all manner of other things associated with the love of woodturning. What's not to like?

I hope to see you there!

Rob

(BTW - the 2015 AAW International Symposium will be held in June in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania!)

... what does it take to get into the symposium if I decided to attend.

All registered attendees of the symposium must be AAW members. There is a fee to attend the event, then of course travel and lodging. The Instant Gallery, tradeshow, and other exhibits are free and open to the public. To attend the demonstrations, however, you must register: one day, two days, or the entire three days.

You will be glad you joined the organization, especially considering your comment that you want to "step up your game." Everyone remembers their first symposium, it's a thrill! The first one I attended was in 1989 in Seattle. After only one day, I felt like I had gotten my money's worth. I remember sitting on a bench the end of that day, pretty much amazed at everything I'd seen, wondering how I would even be able to take more in. Here it is more than 20 years later and I'm still learning new things at every symposium I attend!

Betty Scarpino, Editor, American Woodturner

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Atlanta, Sweet! :cool: , another city, driven through it, never have been able to visit and spend any time in. Outstanding! :)
All of us in central Florida drive through Atlanta to get to Campbell and Arrowmont. None of us know how to do it quickly!
Going to a symposium in Atlanta means we only have to drive halfway through it.

There will be a large turn out from Florida. Especially with the 30th anniversary.

one on the west, two on the east.....central can drive either way.........

no I have no idea how they decide but I believe Atlanta was under consideration when we went to tampa, maybe they sweeten their deal some........

probably never know

Har har Charlie! I would (as a CENTRAL AREA citizen) sure like to see a CENTRAL stop once in a while. Phoenix is too darn far to drive and so is Atlanta. I'm force to fly in to attend.

How about coming back to Overland Park (KC Kansas) or St Louis??? At least some of us CENTRAL folks could drive to those places within 2-5 hours.

This will be the longest 2 years...I work a block over from where it will be. Free parking and no hotel or travel costs means I can actually afford to attend! :p Can't wait to see ya'll there!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This will be the longest 2 years...I work a block over from where it will be. Free parking and no hotel or travel costs means I can actually afford to attend! :p Can't wait to see ya'll there!

Paul,
It is about a 10 hour drive to Pittsburgh. If you are part of the local Atlanta woodturning communities you will find yourself wrapped up in volunteer commitments and won't see all of the symposium from the audience side.

Visiting Pittsburgh is an opportunity you won't want to miss. Carpool with other turners, share a room at a budget hotel , and the expenses are quite small.
You could have come to Tampa for about $250 in expenses. Not cheap but not over the moon either.

Have fun,
Al

Back