• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sliding Table Saw

Read about these in another forum and have to say, didn't know they existed. I guess there are a lot of things I have to learn. Anyhow, was wondering what those who own them think about them, pro's and con's. If I understand it correctly, the main benefit is that your hands are nowhere near the blade. From the little looking I did, seems that the motors are typically larger as well. Any input would be appreciated.

Not sure which you are looking at, probably a smaller version.......
used a larger one for several years at one of the shops I worked
is a PITA to load sheets of wood (4'x8' & 5'x10', etc) , but makes feeding the material through effortless
and yes, they generally have a beefier motor
prefer a panel saw myself, takes up less space, easier to load stock, etc.
does everything a sliding saw does, but better, except for cutting miters (can't do with a panel saw)

Not sure which you are looking at, probably a smaller version.......
used a larger one for several years at one of the shops I worked
is a PITA to load sheets of wood (4'x8' & 5'x10', etc) , but makes feeding the material through effortless
and yes, they generally have a beefier motor
prefer a panel saw myself, takes up less space, easier to load stock, etc.
does everything a sliding saw does, but better, except for cutting miters (can't do with a panel saw)

Jerry
What got me thinking about this is that a poster mentioned it was an option (for safety reasons) to a sawstop table saw. Again, I don't know anything about this type of saw, but wondered how many others had one. I have been looking at upgrading my crappy rigid table saw and looked at every post and video. I seem to see overwhelming support for the sawstop (most say even if you take away the safety aspect, it's the best built table saw). I like many started in my 20's with the big box tools and now in my late 40's looking to upgrade and spend money on a great tools that I can pass on to my grand kids.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't believe it's an option for a sawstop. how do you feed small pieces through it. Sure it might be an option for cutting the ends off panels or maybe large irregular shapes but how would you rip 1/4" off the width of a 3 foot board. You have to lock the table and use it just like a regular table saw. Even in the first two suggestions you could still brush a finger past the blade accidentally and lose it. The saw stop will prevent that. I'm still using a regular table saw, mostly because I don't have the money for a saw stop and also because I've been using a table saw for 30 years and feel pretty comfortable around it. I do try to keep a lot of respect for it just like I do for the jointer, bandsaw, and all of my very very sharp carving tools.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Scott, also have a Ridgid 2500 and used it forever. I also have a Grizzly slider. A G0700 I've had for about three years now. I know the opinions on Grizzly are definitely mixed but I have several of their tools and have never had an issue.

But as to the saw, it is great for smaller panels and mitered cross cuts. However, it is a right tilt blade and so you simply can't easily do some bevel cuts that are easy on a left tilt saw. I'm strictly a hobbyist and not a pro. So sometimes find myself stymied about how to approach a certain task. One of the reasons I've kept the Ridgid.

If I had to do it over again I think I'd have a panel saw and a good cabinet saw with lots of out feed capacity. Hope my two cents helps.

Curious what this has to do with woodturning? Are you looking at one for laminated turnings? Probably the most expensive way to cut segments there is!

Back