• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sanding disk storage

Hi guys. I'm carrying tools and supplies back and forth to a school a couple of day a week. After a couple of semesters carrying a bag or two, tool rolls, and what ever other junk was needed, I bought a tool backpack. Adapted my most used kit to work with interchangeable handles (Thompson, Hosaluk, etc) and it looks like it's going to work great.

My question is what to do about compact storage and transport for 2" and 3" sanding disks. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Phil

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
My question is what to do about compact storage and transport for 2" and 3" sanding disks. Any suggestions or ideas?

Try this on for size:

The storage "systems" I use for sanding disks are old computer disk storage boxes - one is sized for large 5.25" floppy disks and the other is for small 3.5" "hard" floppy disks. The lock on the box is good insurance to contain the disks should it be tipped over. To lessen that occurrence, I epoxied two magnets to the bottom to "grip" the lathe bed. The dividers can be labeled with the grit numbers. The large box holds 5" random orbit disks, the small one holds 3" and 2" disks.

Bonus Tip: arrange the disks alternating facing grit to grit and fuzz to fuzz. That keeps the disks from sticking to each other when you pull one out.

Attachments

• P1010062.jpg
    P1010062.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 92

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I'm a mixed nut lover, so I have lots of nut cans!

These cans would work for transporting discs, but you know there are a zillion kinds of plastic food storage containers available. Those ought to work just as well......or better!

ooc

Attachments

• Image027.JPG
    Image027.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 82
Thanks guys. I had a couple of those plastic small parts boxes that weren't quite right. But, I had developed tunnel vision and was searching the internet for just the right plastic doodad, you guys have widened my gaze. I need to be able to take them to school and back, so the cans are out, but I could do that in my own shop. I'll have to haunt the Goodwills and see if any floppy disc holders turn up.

Phil

To add a little more to the pot. I keep my disk in zip lock bags labeled with a marks-a-lot as to what disk size is inside the bag. From 80 to 600 grit and I keep them in a small cardboard box and there is usually 10 to 20 disk in each bag.

Gary:D

Website
www.docwks.com
I use the Ziploc Twist 'N Loc Containers most grocery stores and others carry them. I can put 10 of each grit in them with no problem and the twist top makes it easy access and they are very light. There are several companies that make them I got these on sale.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I bought a mandrel and interface pads for each grit and store them all in a plastic lidded box I got from Hobby Lobby. It's pretty good size but it often travels with me on demos. About 3" thick and maybe 14x14 but I'm guessing.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Phil:

Have a look at these portable storage boxes from Craft Supplies - available in 2" and 3" sizes:

Sanding Disk Storage Boxes

You can often find these kinds of boxes at sporting goods stores near the fishing tackle. Our local Walmart has a pretty good selection; so does Hobby Lobby (near the painting, beading, jewelry kit supplies), as well as our local sporting goods store (near the fishing lures and other small tackle - you may even find a fishing tackle box that will do the job). Alternatively, they occasionally sell similar compartmentalized boxes at hardware stores for screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. I use several of these kinds of boxes for various collections of related turning tools (i.e. 3M bristle sanders, Morse collet set, Joyner pendant jig, penturning kit, etc.) and they are very handy when you need to travel to do demos and have all related tools, parts, adapters, etc. all in one place. Many have adjustable slots to allow you to customize the box for your purposes.

I admonish you to check the quality of the hinges before you buy these boxes - some are just thin, bent parts of the molding that attaches the lid to the bottom - these "hinges" often wear out and break fairly easily during repeated use, and are a waste of money. Others (such as those by Plano) have true 'pinned' hinges that last a long time. The extra cost initially is offset by the generally long life, and no need to replace a cheap box. Take discs and holders of the size you intend to use with you to the store so you can check the fit of the compartments before you make the purchase - don't ask me how I know that....

Been there, and have bought these many times...

Rob

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
To add a little more to the pot. I keep my disk in zip lock bags labeled with a marks-a-lot as to what disk size is inside the bag. From 80 to 600 grit and I keep them in a small cardboard box and there is usually 10 to 20 disk in each bag.

Gary:D

That is what I also do. The nice thing is that they do not take up any more space than the sanding disks themselves and they are organized. They are also cheap.

Similar to Rob Wallace, I've purchased 2 Stanley boxes with internal configurable bins at Home Depot. One for 3" disks and one for 2". They work great.

I have the ones Rob linked to. Have 3" disc in one and 2" in the other enough sanding disk to last a good amount of time and they stay organized. I keep a sharpie inside also so I can write the grit # on the back of a disk if it's only getting lite use and will be saved.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I keep a sharpie inside also so I can write the grit # on the back of a disk if it's only getting lite use and will be saved.

Glad you mentioned this, Brian. :D

Using a sharpie can be considered very good advice, if the user has ever wondered what grit it is, at a later time.

Only takes a second to mark the girt.........:cool2:

ooc

Back