• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

10" x 4" Sapele & Ebony Lidded Bowl

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
This is my second lidded bowl. The first one I made was an attempt to actually make something I had designed in my mind and then make it. After I finished the first one I wasn't happy with a few aspects of it's looks but my sweet wife loved it, and the Lord did bless that it sold, so I tried this second one.

Attachments

• sapele & ebony #2.jpg
    sapele & ebony #2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 153
  • sapele & ebony #5.jpg
    sapele & ebony #5.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 129
Website
Very nice. Really like the ebony rim treatment. How did you get that ridge look? Like the color on this one better too.

Gerald I get that look from the burning tip I use to create the textured bands. I make my own burning tips after talking to Molly Winton by E-mail about how she accomplished the same texture you noticed. I use 20 gauge nichrome wire and twist it around a nail five times then fit it into my burning pen. The coiled branding tip burns the texture into the wood. It was her signature burning brand look for her basket weave pieces.

Very nice piece

I am in awe at how wonderful this lidded box is.

Thank for sharing it with us....

I would love to see a demo of you turning one of these.

I have tried to make a few and made a lot of shavings and sawdust..... <sigh>

Website
Very nice and I like the detail work, Breck. What's the interior treatment - is it flocked?

Steve yes it is flocking. I had some left over from when I use to make bandsaw boxes. Standard practice used, first coating the area to be flocked with the colored glue then blowing the powered flocking over the area using the cardboard tube with holes in it to create the pumping action. Remarkably durable layer can be created that will hold up under use.

Back