• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hovercraft, (partially) turned on the lathe

I imagine I'll take some ribbing for this post, but here it goes anyway.

I remember as a kid buying hovercraft plans that were advertised in Boy's Life, but couldn't make one since my parents wouldn't let me "borrow" their vacuum cleaner for the motor. This fall I bought a cheap cordless leaf blower and it reminded me that you could build a hovercraft with one of these. Surprisingly, the web is full of plans if you google "leaf blower + hovercraft". The link that I found most helpful is http://amasci.com/amateur/hovercft.html, but there are lots of alternative plans out there.

This project only has a few items of woodturning in it -- but in case some of you are interested I've posted a few photos and a link. Basically, you need a leaf blower, a 3-4' disc of plywood or particle board, a shower curtain, lots of duct tape, and a few turned parts. You could get by without turning anything, but where's the satisfaction in that?

I had thought that I could turn the main disk on my lathe (34" swing), but realized that a 42" disc would be better and a jigsaw is really a preferable tool for making such a large disc out of plywood or particle board. Those of you set up for outboard turning may disagree. The leaf blower fitting, however, was turned on the lathe, as well as the skirt disk (on the underside). I've attached a few pictures of the turned items, as well as the whole setup and an 8-second video of it in operation. (The pull string in the video was used only to get it moving; it doesn't have a forward engine yet.) In the end, I gave the hovercraft to my daughters before Christmas because I couldn't wait to try it out. I suppose it was as much for me as for them. :)

Attachments

• hovercraft.wmv
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 146
  • blower fitting.jpg
    blower fitting.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 128
  • skirt fitting.jpg
    skirt fitting.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 145

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I always wanted to do something like that ever since I saw a bandsaw set up to move through a piece of wood with the wood stationary and the tool moving using a similar set up. Don't remember what he used for a blower. It was in a magazine a long time before leaf blowers came out.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Bill I think the article was in FineWoodworking or American Woodworker. As I remember it was a pretty good sized bandsaw. I looked up other articles on how to move machines using air and found some. I would bet we could find some on youtube now days.

John - cool video. Bill - if my calculations are right, using a larger 5' disc and the same 20V leaf blower will let you dance around your shop with your minmax. You may need thicker plastic than a shower curtain, though. :)

Back