• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ice Storm in N Texas, the Making of Bowl Blanks

We had a major ice storm in N. Texas. I was working flexplace from my house today when i hear a WHOOOOOOSH. Look outside the front window and see this. Bradford Pears are the worse trees to plant, 8 major branches all located within 2 feet of each other. As they get bigger, they get ripe to split. I asked my arborist this summer what could be done and he said cut it down now while its warm, or else cut it down when it falls. Its a matter of when, not if. I guess I can get 4 good sized bowl blanks from it.

Attachments

• IMG_20131206_113739_861_zpsfb921171.jpg
    IMG_20131206_113739_861_zpsfb921171.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
The house directly across where my tree is had a live oak split and it did hit their car, only a glancing blow, which is why they moved their car next to mine in the circle about an hour before my tree came down.

my neighbor had a large bradford pear cut down last weekend. Beautiful colored wood with lots of curl running through it.

I hauled off a truckload full of wood.

Its a matter of when, not if. I guess I can get 4 good sized bowl blanks from it.

Save the lower/larger portions of the limbs as well -- it's great for various sorts of spindle turning (e.g., ornaments [dozens and dozens of bells, and much else], etc). It also is great for utilitarian shop purposes, such as jam chucks (I have 2-3 dozen I've made from Bradford pear) etc etc. An ice storm got the Bradford pear in my front yard a few years ago -- I saved everything that was greater than 2" in diameter. It turns so well that it is a shame to throw almost the entire tree away.

Attachments

• P1010137sm2.JPG
    P1010137sm2.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 76

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
We had a major ice storm in N. Texas. I was working flexplace from my house today when i hear a WHOOOOOOSH. Look outside the front window and see this. Bradford Pears are the worse trees to plant, 8 major branches all located within 2 feet of each other. As they get bigger, they get ripe to split. I asked my arborist this summer what could be done and he said cut it down now while its warm, or else cut it down when it falls. Its a matter of when, not if. I guess I can get 4 good sized bowl blanks from it.

We had a similar experience about ten years ago. I commented to my wife one spring morning as the trees were greening out that our Bradford pear was the largest one that I had ever seen and wondered why I never saw any others that were larger. About two days later, my question was answered. We were in the kitchen when there was a sudden loud WHOOOOSH THUMP sound. We ran out the front door to investigate and saw that one of the three main branches had split and fallen towards the house. The top of the tree had just barely brushed the front of the house.

About a week later, the second main branch split and fell during the night. This one fell in the opposite direction so it was nearly blocking the street. I didn't waste any time clearing that one from the road, but by now the tree was looking pretty sad with just one main branch coming off the trunk. I figured that I would finish cutting the tree down, but it would have to wait since we were getting ready to leave on a trip for a week.

When we returned from our trip, we found the remaining branch had decided that it was time to go and it was across our driveway. The neighbors said that it fell the night before we returned. Sadly, this was just before I got into woodturning so it all went to the dump except for giving away as much as the neighbors would take for firewood.

I later learned that Bradford pears have very week crotches that split as soon as the weight of the branch reaches the critical point. Ice can be the cause of the extra weight, but as in our case the weight of fresh new leaves and water taken up by the roots can be the cause.

I came across some NYC Bradford pear in the spring and it has become my favorite wood to turn. Its a pleasure to cut and sands easily, dries well without checking or much movement. The color is beautiful and keeps getting richer. I still have 2 nice chunky pieces. One is big enough to core. I would save as much as you can.

Attachments

• Pear One.jpg
    Pear One.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Pear Vase 2013.jpg
    Pear Vase 2013.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 34

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I agree. Beautiful work, Robert. Unfortunately, it seems like Bradford pear is getting harder to find since people are moving away from using it as a small yard tree and going to trees that are less problem prone.

Thanks Bill.
I sometimes wish I could tap into the collective consciousness to find out where the burls or pear trees or other desirable trees are lying on the ground. I know they're out there and I probably drive by them all the time. Not that I would have time in my life to turn all the blanks I have already accumulated.
I wonder if I became a full time turner if I would enjoy it so much-I suspect not.

I tap into an arborist that has a yard where he splits what he cuts and also takes in other cutters wood that they either dont have a yard or they dont want to pay dump charges to dump. I have reached a sweet deal, I bring him a turned bowl, I get a PU truck of logs that havent been split. Recently I gave him several bowls and platters for a silent auction that he took to an arborist meeting for donations to plant trees lost in South Texas due to storms. I am set for a while. Of course this cold snap will deplete his stock, but then it will also add to trees he has to cut.

So check out arborists in your area, I paid cash at first, but then barter has kept it going.

Back