• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Small Drive Center

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Robert:

Check-out the Marlin Drive Centers sold by Bruce Hoover at "The Sanding Glove":

http://thesandingglove.com/Multistar-Marlin-Drive-System.asp

These centers are excellent for miniature turning and are very well made. You can buy what components you need for your particular requirements.

I also have the Multistar Revolving center set too; works great!

No affiliation other than being a satisfied customer for may years...

Rob Wallace

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have a stepped pin drive center. 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 " pins stepped every ? 1/4"? It will drive a piece with an 1/8 hole 1/4" deep A 1/4" hole 1/2" deep Packard has the stepped pin drive.

The sanding glove center looks like a good solution.

I often glue small pieces on a larger piece of wood held in a chuck or on a wooden morse taper.

Al

Last edited:
if you wanted cheap for just a few jobs you can make one from an old pozi drive screwdriver in your chuck just sharpen the driver lugs.

Ian

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Buy a phillips screwdriver at the flea mkt. Sharpen the tip and then cut it off to the length you need. I have a great 3/8" drive center and it's about as small as I ever need. I purchased it from Craft Supplies.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Buy a phillips screwdriver at the flea mkt. Sharpen the tip and then cut it off to the length you need. I have a great 3/8" drive center and it's about as small as I ever need. I purchased it from Craft Supplies.

Or, even less work -- you probably have some worn out Phillips tips that can be put in a drill chuck. Sharpen them like John says.

I bought one from Packard a few years ago with a MT and the drive has 4 spurs with a center point. The center point is a bit longer than I would want, but I have never tried to modify it. I also have a home-made drive that works fine. I used a 1/4" straight router bit and ground out the center flat so that there is a shallow V between the two cutting edges and it makes 2 sharp flutes. No center point with this, so you wind up eyballing it, but it works just fine chucked up in a Jacobs chuck.

you can also use a 1 inch square drive screw in your wood piece & put a square drive bit in a jacobs or a chuck & drive your small piece. hasworked for me for years

Back