• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mobile Base

With the expected delivery of a Delta 16 inch lathe like AAW is giving away for Xmas I am going to make my HF 34706 into a buffer, small parts lathe. I will need to be able to move this unit around and need a good, CHEAP way to build a mobile base for it. This is basically the same design as the 1236 lathe.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem. Would prefer a build your own idea!!

Thanks

Wilford

Wilford,

I guess I'd start with the Grizzly catalog and look at their selection of locking casters and build around that. I'm about to order the swiveling ones that lock the swivel and caster for a bench I'm making that needs to be mobile.

I set up my old Craftsman table saw with swivel casters on the back legs and extended foot pads on the front. The front foot pads kept it stationary in use. When I needed to re-position the saw. I'd lift the front end enough so the pads were off the floor. The swivel casters let me move it easily in any direction, including backing it into a tight corner when I really wanted it out of the way.

Wilford,

Consider using the Delta Universal Mobil Base 50-345. $50.14 from Amazon with free shipping. Delta Universal Mobil Base 50-345 You can make it any size you need. Go to Amazon and read the reviews on this product.

I built one for a heavy router table and used 1-1/2" square steel tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. See my review for instructions. Look for "thewoodcrafter" February 16, 2004.

Steel is not necessary unless you are spanning a long distance or putting an extremely heavy object on it.

Ed

Wilford Bickel said:
With the expected delivery of a Delta 16 inch lathe like AAW is giving away for Xmas I am going to make my HF 34706 into a buffer, small parts lathe. I will need to be able to move this unit around and need a good, CHEAP way to build a mobile base for it. This is basically the same design as the 1236 lathe.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem. Would prefer a build your own idea!!

Thanks

Wilford

I used a clone of the Delta size-it-yourself on my JET 1236. Worked "ok" :p because I added about 250 lbs of sand in a ballast box and had to use the holes in the legs to bolt them to the base. The lathe would move, however, when spinning something unbalanced. Made it easy to tell when the piece was in balance; the lathe would stop shake, rattle, and rolling :D.

M

PS: Found a pic from when I had 150 lbs of sand and a concrete block as balast

Attachments

• lathe-2.JPG
    lathe-2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I made a mobile base for my workbench out of a Harbor Freight mobile base. It is a copy of the delta base, but cheaper. Instead of wood for the sides I used 1" square steel tubing and used good bolts. Total cost was about $30, 24 for 20 Ft of tubing and $6 for the base kit.
(edit) my error, the bolts were a couple of extra dollars.
Drilling the tubing was kind of a pain, but I didn't have any do-overs.
It is plenty stiff and sits on the floor when you have the wheel down.

mark.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - all these ideas help. I like what Mark did and will be in Birmingham next week and will go to HF and see if they have the unbranded base to use.

Wilford

I attached retracting casters to the stand on my 34706. I only used two of the four, under the headstock, and that was enough to let me lift the tailstock end and roll it around. And adding the casters doesn't change the height of the lathe.

Graeme

Back