• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Back-Up Lathe

Website
thedoghouseworkshop.com
Recently I had some trouble with the inverter/drive on my lathe. I thought it would be a good idea to get a second lathe in the event one was out of commission I would be able to continue working(at least this is what I told my wife). The new back-up lathe arrived Friday and it's all set up in the shop.

Attachments

• Robust Lathe.jpg
    Robust Lathe.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 290

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
back-up lathe

Yeah, right. I am sure that one will 'tide you over' in case something goes wrong with your 'workhorse' lathe.Max.

Website
thedoghouseworkshop.com
I did have it made with a #3MT in the tailstock and 33mm threaded headstock spindle so I could use all the same accessories on both lathes. I explained to the wife the money I would be saving us by having this done and I think that was what finally sold her on the idea or pushed her over the edge depending on your perspective.

And now your grinder is set up on your Oneway......... You will love it. For me, I have to have a sliding headstock.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My wife said, "why don't you get the Robust AB if that is what you would like?" I nearly broke my neck getting to the phone to call Brent. :)

I caught him on the road driving home from work so he stopped and took my order right then and there. He said that it was his last day working for the man -- now, he is "the man". I don't think that you could say that he really retired since he is busier than ever now.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Can we do a wife swap, Bill?:D

I forgot to mention the "fine print" part of the story. After the lathe was parked in the garage ... uh, I mean studio and she saw that all was well in the man cave, I was informed that an Extreme Makeover was of the utmost urgency in the castle that adjoins the already mentioned MCSABSNRABL (man cave sporting a brand spanking new Robust American Beauty lathe).

Furthermore, said makeover would (as I was about to discover) easily put any pretentious puny project on the DIY channel to shame. After meeting with the decorator and her entourage, I learned the true cost of the lathe. There is probably more than one sovereign nation that would have been expelled from the EU for such wanton spending.

Back in the MCSABSNRABL, all is right with the world. :D If you would like, I can ask the missus to give your wife a call and let her know that you would like to upgrade your lathe.

Bill - I know the drill...

Back in the MCSABSNRABL, all is right with the world. :D If you would like, I can ask the missus to give your wife a call and let her know that you would like to upgrade your lathe.

I picked mine up at the AAW in San Jose last year. On arriving home with it, I discovered the price was actually a long arm quilter, new additional sewing machine, and a makeover for the master bath. Total cost put my investment into the same perspective as looking through the wrong end of your binoculars.

But the gar...er man cave sure is a pleasant place to retreat to...Robert, enjoy your new equipment. looking at your website, it seems like you're going to keep it very busy.

Long arm quilter? You got the short end of that stick. My wife has been coveting a smaller quilting machine called a Sweet Sixteen. I proposed machines named Sweet Sixteen all around. This idea met with disapproval.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Long arm quilter? You got the short end of that stick. My wife has been coveting a smaller quilting machine called a Sweet Sixteen. I proposed machines named Sweet Sixteen all around. This idea met with disapproval.

Isn't the solution obvious?

In your haste to get her the Sweet Sixteen that she so dearly would love to have, a minor and perfectly understandable clerical error is made given the name similarities. Given the shipping charges to return the merchandise, it would make more sense to keep it and assume responsibility by removing it from her quilting room and into your man cave where you will feel compelled to put it to good use. Meanwhile, the minor slip-up will be soon forgiven by ordering the correct Sweet Sixteen for the quilting room.

p.s., looking at the pictures, I can see where the two machines could be easily confused, but the distinguishing feature of the quilting machine is the pink hearts on it. I do not think that the RSS has pink hearts on it.

Last edited:
I had the misfortune of finding out last week that I am soon to be the new owner of a major foundation repair. Its cost is somewhere between the fully loaded Robust Sweet 16 and the Robust 2Hp American Beauty. Add associated cosmetic repairs, sheetrock, paint, brick repointing, and the AB is now a 3HP model. All I can say is "Bad word bad word bad word."

However I am enjoying that 8 month old PM3520B, its a real nice lathe.

Recently I had some trouble with the inverter/drive on my lathe. I thought it would be a good idea to get a second lathe in the event one was out of commission I would be able to continue working(at least this is what I told my wife). The new back-up lathe arrived Friday and it's all set up in the shop.

Awesome Lathe. I just watched their youtube promotional video. Everything is really thought out well. It has a lot of features.

Back