• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

up coming Artist

I have never considered my self an artist I can barely draw a stickman and the only musical instrument I can play is the stereo. I recently learned of a Co-op art Gallery in my home town. I brought in some of my bowls and pepper grinders. I had to fill out an application and leave several pieces a committee meets 4 times a year to vote on whether an artist work will be showcased in the gallery. I was speaking to 1 of the people on the voting committee and she indicated most defiantly my work would most likely be accepted. They happen to be voting for new artist later this month. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I may officially be an artist by the end of the month

Good luck on the voting Sean. It would be nice to have some of your personal pieces in a gallery, too cool.
Tim.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Good luck!

One of our club members won a blue ribbon at the State Fair of Texas several years ago. I think that seeing a turned wood bowl was a new experience in that venue where all of the other entries were either clay or glass.

I think that there is an "undiscovered" artist that lurks within each of us. Just don't become a Starving Artist -- I hear that the starving part isn't fun. :D

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Sean,
Good luck... Sometimes we get a bit of an edge being a 3d medium.

Bill,
The Florida state Fair has a fairly extensive woodturning exhibition. I don't have an exact count but 100+ entries in 15 categories.
Seems like the Texas State Fair could support a woodturning category. Certainly lots of up and coming woodturners in Texas.

The Florida state Fair woodturning has been going on at least 10 years and maybe longer.
George Dinsmore ran it for quite a few years; Bob Varner has been running he past couple of years. Both have done a fine job: beating the bushes for entries, recruiting judges, setting up the displays, and scheduling live demonstrations.

And there are even small prizes. $150 best in woodturning
For each category $50, $30, $20.

Several of the ribbon winners were on display at the Tampa airport in an exhibition organized by Rudolph Lopez to promote the AAW Symposium.

Al

Last edited:
Good luck!

I think that there is an "undiscovered" artist that lurks within each of us. Just don't become a Starving Artist -- I hear that the starving part isn't fun. :D

I do not plan on quitting my day job but if some of my pieces sell for what they said the price range would be it will definitely fund my hobby. To date my pieces have been gifts and the one I keep for myself . My wife said I ether have to put up shelves or start putting them away in boxes.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I knew I made it as an artist when I took a piece to work and they said " what's it used for". Fist pumping as I say yes I've made it

it is good to have your work considered defiantly!

Most defiantly?!

Bad enough the typo's we make for ourselves then the blessed spellchecker has to help us out to make matters worse! I spent several years in the drafting department of the local nuke plant checking every drafting document the rest of the group created. I often wish I could turn off the proof reader that created! To make matters worse, it doesn't help me proof read my own work since we read what we expect to see when looking at our own stuff.

Wishing Sean the best of luck! I'm trying to get enough pieces turned right now to try to get in a similar location a country away from him, south Louisiana. An artist friend thinks I have a great shot because the people judging who gets to display what do like variety and most of the work is paintings.

Hu

wood turner

I was in a juried art/craft show over the 4th (8th or 9th year for me) at a harbor tourist place that kicks off the season with the art show/foot race/dog lookalike contest/parade. The new organizer had asked on the application for your media, and products for sale , I said wood turner with bowls, platters, utilitarian items, and other "trinkets listed.
Friday before the show she sent out the booth assignments with a list of the vendors and their media, and said if there were any changes to let her know as they were making up new ones for the public, She listed me as a "sculptor". When I responded to her email=no response(think she was kinda "ditzzy"). At the show I queried her and she said they had no computer "code" for wood turner, and thought I would like to be a sculptor rather than an "other", :rolleyes: Gretch

what can I say?

I was in a juried art/craft show over the 4th (8th or 9th year for me) at a harbor tourist place that kicks off the season with the art show/foot race/dog lookalike contest/parade. The new organizer had asked on the application for your media, and products for sale , I said wood turner with bowls, platters, utilitarian items, and other "trinkets listed.
Friday before the show she sent out the booth assignments with a list of the vendors and their media, and said if there were any changes to let her know as they were making up new ones for the public, She listed me as a "sculptor". When I responded to her email=no response(think she was kinda "ditzzy"). At the show I queried her and she said they had no computer "code" for wood turner, and thought I would like to be a sculptor rather than an "other", :rolleyes: Gretch

What can I say? The lady had a point! :D You know how those "other"s are. I always favored being "none of the above" myself.

Hu

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
That reminds me of some experiences with talking to a computer on the phone.

"Press 1 if you would like to leave a voice mail that we will never return".
"Press 2 if you would like to be sent into an endless loop".
"Press 3 if you would like to listen to phone music for the next two hours".
"Press 4 if you are about to blow a gasket and we will redirect you to a list of self-help FAQ's".
"Press 5 if you would like to hear more options".

Five it is, so that is what I select.

"Sorry there are no more options. Have a nice day. Good bye". Click. beeeep-beep-beeeep!

:mad: :mad:

She listed me as a "sculptor". When I responded to her email=no response(think she was kinda "ditzzy"). At the show I queried her and she said they had no computer "code" for wood turner, and thought I would like to be a sculptor rather than an "other", :rolleyes: Gretch

I sell wooden spoons, made more or less to fit a hand and task, rather than someone's idea of what a spoon should be. The painter types who run most shows used to call them "craft" items rather than art, until I started reminding them that each one was a unique wood sculpture. Now they mostly list medium as "wood" and put "hand-carved and turned items" as what's for sale.

Attachments

• Spoon-Shaved.jpg
    Spoon-Shaved.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 74
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I have been entering the Iowa State Fair Juried Fine Art Exhibition each year for the past 7 or 8 years, (the largest single art exhibition in the state, seen by 20,000-30,000+ each year) and have come up against the same situation of classifying what I do as an artist by medium or process, not by product. Thus, I have been a 'sculptor' for several years now, doing what I call my "single axis, machine-assisted, rotary sculpture in wood" to produce the turned items that I submit each year. Regardless of how my work (or that of others) is classified, all people who submit art to the exhibit are referred to simply as an 'artist'.

Each artist can submit two pieces for jurying each year, and I was happy to have both of mine accepted into the exhibition this year - images are attached. Not too much actual "sculpting" involved....... ...the exposure gained at this exhibition is very helpful, and has resulted in several commissioned pieces over the past few years - regardless of what "flavor" I am referred to as an artist.

Rob Wallace

Attachments

• Vivat Ligna Publica-A-sm.jpg
    Vivat Ligna Publica-A-sm.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Lines in Fire - 2013.jpg
    Lines in Fire - 2013.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 68
I enter a few events a year and they put me into (3-dinensional) category.
It's hard to compete with four and five foot pieces but sometimes it works.

Artists

Good luck Sean. Recognition is almost as much fun as money!
Charles Horton Cooley said "An artist cannot fail;It is a success to be one"
It took me awhile to start using the term artist or art in conjunction with me and my work but it has become easier thanks to Mr. Cooley. I laughed at John Lucas' experience because I understood it so well. My current bio includes- "Art lets me make things I don't have to explain"

I think I am an arteest!

Good luck Sean. Recognition is almost as much fun as money!
Charles Horton Cooley said "An artist cannot fail;It is a success to be one"
It took me awhile to start using the term artist or art in conjunction with me and my work but it has become easier thanks to Mr. Cooley. I laughed at John Lucas' experience because I understood it so well. My current bio includes- "Art lets me make things I don't have to explain"

I may be an arteest after all! I make things I can't explain. :D

Hu

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well I can usually explain the work. I just can't always explain where I got the idea for the piece. And some people simply don't want to know where that idea came from. :)

I just received my call I am now officially an Artist. The jury meet on Monday and I called Tuesday morning to see how I made out I was told the head of the committee would contact me in the next couple days. Thursday rolls around still no call so I called this morning and was speaking to one of the girls on the voting committee she told me my work had been voted yes but they were waiting for a Professional wood worker to come in and view my work before a final decision was made. I asked what the professional said and she said my work was beautifully turned and finished and I was accepted and a Member Artist my work goes on display Monday

Congratulations!

I just received my call I am now officially an Artist. The jury meet on Monday and I called Tuesday morning to see how I made out I was told the head of the committee would contact me in the next couple days. Thursday rolls around still no call so I called this morning and was speaking to one of the girls on the voting committee she told me my work had been voted yes but they were waiting for a Professional wood worker to come in and view my work before a final decision was made. I asked what the professional said and she said my work was beautifully turned and finished and I was accepted and a Member Artist my work goes on display Monday

Congratulations! That is very nice news for you to get.

Hu

Back