• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

reducing bushing

I have powermatic 90 faceplates that are 1 1/2" and I need to go to 1 1/4"
I am still thinking bushing.

Ed

Ahhhh, so you want something like a "threadsert" to thread into the 1.5x8 on your faceplate, so that it can be threaded on to a 1.25x8 spindle, right?

Happy turning
Tom

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Ahhhh, so you want something like a "threadsert" to thread into the 1.5x8 on your faceplate, so that it can be threaded on to a 1.25x8 spindle, right?

Happy turning
Tom

I know what he wants, but I am not sure that he is not going to find it because there may not be enough "meat" to put those heavy duty threads on both the inside and outside. And that could be called a threaded bushing or various other names depending on what purpose it was designed to be used.

Even though it is the register faces of the spindle and chuck/faceplate that primarily define the alignment, the threads also need to have sufficient precision to enable registration of those faces. That has the potential to be a problem because a typicalthreaded insert doesn't have provisions for maintaining alignment with reference to the flat surface at the end of the threaded hole through the faceplate. Because of that, tolerance errors are allowed to stack up.

I just saw the post for the Penn State Adapter. It does have a flange so it looks like it will fit the bill. An insert without a flange would not have been satisfactory.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had a threaded bushing made to convert my 1" 8 spindle to 1 1/4 x8. Bestwoodtools made it for me. I had to modify it by putting flats on it so I could lock it on the spindle. I also milled slots so if it sticks in a chuck I could get it back out. It works great. I would be glad to shoe Vic what I did if he agrees to make you one

Back