• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Retirement .....

..... proof you really can have a happy childhood.

I saw this written on the back window of an RV last weekend. It made me chuckle, and then I got to wondering if AAW members, the majority of whom are retired, are, indeed, having a happy childhood? What makes that so? Is retirement what you thought it would be? Better, maybe?

Are you happily retired, and I mean not just glad you don't have to go to work every day, but actively participating in something you enjoy?

Betty Scarpino, Editor, American Woodturner

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Betty,

Sherry and I both retired in 2001 and have enjoyed every minute of it.

So many of our friends have commented on how lucky Sherry and I were to have woodturning when we retired.

When we moved back to Florida in 2004. We were immediately accepted into the woodturning communities.

We have other interests but woodturning the most rewarding one since 1987.

I've just been really lucky with the woodturning.
I use to joke with friends whose hobbies cost them money that In my hoody people paid me to get better.
It is something where people keep inviting me to do fun things.

And I get to meet and spend time with people like you!

Al

Last edited:
I'm retired and my wife still works- the problem of being a child bride. We both love the situation- when I retired, SWMBO said that I knew where the broom, mop, washer, dryer, and vacuum cleaner were and how to operate them. She wasn't going to work 40 hours an come home and do housework. I agreed. I can get all that done and have time for woodworking, fishing, hunting, golf. She still does the majority of the cooking.Weekends are hers which usually consist of going to various sports games involving the grandkids.
We saw a sign in a gift shop: Retirement- twice the husband at half the income.

I have a still-working wife, so my retirement includes the cooking, gardening, washing... and most important, watching the grandgirls so that their mommy and daddy can work. Wasn't what I had planned for, but after thirty years I can still give both "the look" that sends them to get teeth brushed, and the field trip to the Co-Op to buy the peanut butter cups that make brushing necessary. Balanced approach that worked pretty well with their mom and uncles.

In a couple more years the three-year-old will be in school, and after I get them up, dressed, brushed, combed and to school, I'll be able to use six more hours of my day for other things. Maybe.

Hard frost last night but they're backing off a bit to predicting 33 tonight. Guess who's glad they checked the weather and split wood rather than putting in the squash and pumpkins on Sunday. ;)

Oh yes, dinner is on the table ten minutes after SWMBO gets home. Aren't crockpots wonderful?

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
Living the dream

I was blessed to be able to retire early and discover woodturning. I feel like I am living the dream. I am growing, learning and constantly developing new skills and meeting new folks with similar interests. My hobby activities are now paying for my hobby expenses. I enjoy teaching and occasionally get the opportunity to demonstrate and assist with hands on turning activities at one of the chapters I belong to. I am still healthy enough to play competitive tennis in an area with probably the best run tennis organization in the country (Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association). And I still have my wife of 43 years, a high school classmate and now retired spec. Ed teacher. Two grand daughters who live within an hour's drive that we get to keep over night regularly. Just bought a new Stihl chainsaw and my shop has AC.

I thank God ever day for the blessings I have.

Gosh Betty, you gave us a shock. My first reaction was that you were leaving us!

Dennis

Dennis, ha! It never occurred to me the heading might be misleading. I'm 63 and not yet ready to retire. I'm enjoying editing and so far it seems to be going well. But thanks for the (seeming) endorsement .... :)

Much of what's been written so far seems to be about family and relationships, in addition to woodturning. I've been thinking a lot lately about my 89-year-old neighbor, Jim, across the street. His wife died about two months ago. He's spent the last three years caring for her as she declined in health and memory. He misses her, and because he was so isolated with her care, he now has no one to spend time with. No hobby. No clubs (he would have loved woodturning!). Limited family. This is a great neighborhood, though, so we watch out for him and take care of a few of his unmet needs, but that only goes so far. (And, I recall, Dennis that you are the primary caretaker for your wife? I hope that's going well.)

With the many woodturning clubs I've demonstrated for over the years, I've come to realize that they are as much a social activity as they are a woodturning opportunity. And, that's really supportive for a lot of people.

Hobbies can provide the connections we need to a supportive network of friends and activities. I am feeling more fortunate every year to be involved in woodturning. I have friends and colleagues all over the U.S. and the world, as well as right here in Indianapolis.

Like my dad said, I am not going to retire until my birth certificate expires. No second childhood for me either, never got out of the first one. I am not doing craft shows any more, which means I can actually make stuff for myself and my daughter.

robo hippy

A Strange Concept

I spend most of my adult life in an effort to pursue a career, help others along the way, and create a specialized body of knowledge, yet upon reaching some arbitrarily (or governmentally) predetermined age, I'm somehow expected to chuck it all and go on a permanent vacation? Why? Because I'm over some metaphorical hill? Because I'm "old" and of no further use in my life's work? Because I've "worked" enough and can now shuffle off to Margaritaville?

Well, you won't catch this Old Fart on any bus to some dinner theater with the Blue Hair Brigade.

Make no mistake, I really enjoy turning wood, along with making furniture and other things, but I like my day "job" far more. Met an attorney in court last week; his 100th birthday is next month; his eyes are clear; mind is sharp as any; voice clear and strong; and he walked into the room with a sure, measured stride.

I can only wish . . . . .

Dennis, ha! It never occurred to me the heading might be misleading. I'm 63 and not yet ready to retire. I'm enjoying editing and so far it seems to be going well. But thanks for the (seeming) endorsement .... :)

With the many woodturning clubs I've demonstrated for over the years, I've come to realize that they are as much a social activity as they are a woodturning opportunity. And, that's really supportive for a lot of people.

Betty the officers of one of our local turning groups all being new decided to survey the membership. A written questionnaire asked for all sorts of turning related information. No names were required on the survey sheet.

One question proved to be an eye opener when results were tabulated.
Paraphrasing--Do you turn if not why did you join the guild?

3 or 4 responded along a similar vein, needed somewhere to go/need a night out of the house/bored at home.

Turning groups are, in my experience, a very friendly and welcoming cross section of the local community. No one cared that a few members were there for the company.

Jake

retirement

I took early retirement in 2002 so my tenured position could be up for grabs and especially for a talented vet surgeon in a research position that was terminating-and I wanted him to stay. ( One of my "sons"). I restarted working part time 8 days after retirement (now work about 30% of the time which pays the bills.) I was now single and my one son in college and daughter a new D.O. (osteopath Dr.).Currently I get to baby sit the 2 grand children, and have my 4 yr old granddaughter over for some sleep overs.
I have always done some woodworking and when the house got full of furniture, I had to go "smaller" . I love wood.

I read 3 books many times before getting a Sears cheap lathe, and dared to hold a gouge to a spinning piece of wood. I probably was turning 4-5 years before I actually saw a live person turn.
I have 3 1/2 gardens, feed the "masses" from the produce, and love being outdoors. But when I am not working, I turn and enjoy cutting/splitting firewood and hunting for turning wood, (just came back from Mass with about 700# of spalted maple in ford Escape to play with once the gross moisture/mold has left).
I have been to 5-6 wood demos in Traverse City (3+hours away)(Raffan,Clewes, Betty S.,Cook,Jamieson) , but haven't joined any local clubs as the nearest is more than an hour away.
My father was a human surgeon (and later after retiring from the operating room just a general Dr.) and worked til the week before he died at 84. I imagine I will do the same if I am still doing a good job with the people that have hired me. I love wood, I love working,I like being productive, I love my "day job" , I love the basement "laboratory" , I love busy.:D Gretch

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
I will be retiring in 11 years, 6 Months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 27 seconds (but who is counting).
I'm looking forward to being able to turn when I want to, play golf and spend time relaxing with my lovely wife.

All time off is good time

I retired from full time Pharmacy in December and I can say that all time off is good time. Wife and I have traveled and gotten on each others nerves some.
Began turning 7 years ago and have learned a lot from other club members and shared some of my woodworking knowledge (doing that for 40 years). I spend 4 to 6 hours in the shop 6 days a week (unless working a day or 2 a month as Pharmacist). I have started collecting hand tools and it is so nice with no motors running (except when turning). I have enough wood to last quite a while.
I though I had enough tools so take this warning::::: Retirement INCREASES the need for more tools.
Oh have also taken on being webmaster for the club and now on the ground floor of beginning a new Marriage Mentoring Ministry at my church. Don't guess I will have that much "free" time.

retirement?

Had I followed the path of my three college roomies I would either have been retired by now (2) or dead (1). As it was I chose the path of wine, women and song in descending order of importance through my mid-thirties and so continue on in a rather un-fulfilling 9 to 5 at age 63. I don't dislike my day job as much as I dislike the fact that I am doing it. Given my past I am still fortunate to have it. I have always been a hobbyist tool guy but in 2010 bought a wood lathe and as a member here states "got sucked into the vortex". I probably spend 20-25 hours a week in the shop and love every minute of it. My wife who IS retired is as enthused as I am. My day job affords us insurance, travel money, tool money, food and the ability to make things that don't need to be sold. Our needs are handled and we simply adjust our wants to our income. I've already told the kid to expect tools and wood art but no money. Is it perfect? Of course not- but it's better than I've ever had it. Happiness= someone to love, something to do, something to look forward to. If I had it to do all over again I would....have done it exactly the same way...but I still look forward to the metaphoric gold watch.

Website
www.mnwoodturners.org
Retirement

Mark Twain said it best with,
"the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated!"

My MN woodturning friends are mostly retired, great to know & hang out with, always helpful & generous with the "tricks" they know, constantly improving their turning skills and thankful for each remaining day!

Lee Tourtelotte
Minnesota Woodturners Assoc.
www.mnwoodturners.org

I was lucky enough to find a mentor, Glenn Plockelmann, just as I retired and I have found a hobby for life. Glenn introduced me to making pens and the rest is history. After 12+ years of art shows we are slowing down but turning will always be my primary hobby/business.

What a wonderful community turners make....

63??? :confused: :confused: The heck you say. Did not figure you for a day over 29. :cool2:

I will now be ducking permanently. And avoiding you in Tampa.

63??? The heck you say. Did not figure you for a day over 29.

Jerry,

You'll want to take either a substantial supply of Aleve or your chiropractor with you, as trying to duck-walk around the symposium is going to create some serious back issues. :D

Dennis, ha! It never occurred to me the heading might be misleading. I'm 63 and not yet ready to retire.

63??? The heck you say. Did not figure you for a day over 29. :cool2:

Jerry, if you would have said "a day over 59" I might have believed you. No ducking necessary, though .... I'm cool with my age. It's only a number and in many ways, I feel like I'm 29! :cool2:

..... proof you really can have a happy childhood.

I saw this written on the back window of an RV last weekend. It made me chuckle, and then I got to wondering if AAW members, the majority of whom are retired, are, indeed, having a happy childhood? What makes that so? Is retirement what you thought it would be? Better, maybe?

Are you happily retired, and I mean not just glad you don't have to go to work every day, but actively participating in something you enjoy?

My usual reply to those that ask how I like retirement is: I can do what I want to, when I want to.

Back