• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Safety: Publish graphic photos of injuries?

Dale,
One point not mentioned enough is how dangerous being tired is. Right up there with being under the influence of intoxicants. You stop thinking.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
People get tired, get in a hurry and bad things happen. We either decide that our health is important and take actions/precautions or we do not.
Attitudes toward Safety are somewhat a reflection of society.
As a society we don't place as much value on human life and health as most other developed natIons do.
Statistics on life expectancy and infant mortality rates indicate we don't.
Highway safety we let people text in drive, we let people ride motorcycles without helmets, we have the higher blood alcohol,limits than European countries.
So we are conditioned to be anti safety.....

In the 80s I worked on a problem with computer monitors emitting radiation that interfered with other sensitive equipment.
One solution we evaluated was to build an expensive copper shielded enclosure
Then our research led us to buy a monitor built for the Euro market. Turns out Europe decided radiation was a health hazard and put limits on the radiation that monitors could emit to protect the user and those were stringent enough for us.

Most developed countries use science and statistics in molding their safety policies.
We tend not do that.

So if you Don't worry about safety in the rest of your life, will you be concerned with safety In woodturning.
One advantage we have in woodturning is that in our classes and demonstrations we can teach and show the safety practices as part of the fundamentals.

Al

Last edited:
wandering a bit, a culture of safety

As editor of a journal that is read by 17,000+ woodturners, I cannot assume everyone will have the same mindset I have. I've been working with wood for more than 35 years, and (knock on wood) my most serious injury is cutting the tip of my finger with a carving gouge, to the bone. I think my pride was injured more than my finger (which probably should have had stitches but a bandaid sufficed).

But, not everyone has had that kind of training and background. My industrial arts teacher, Dabney Doty, was a stickler for safety. In his many years teaching college students, he had no major injuries. I learned a lot from him, safety being high on the list.

. . . . . .

I don't mind if this thread wanders beyond the initial question ... I think that's been answered.

Betty Scarpino, Editor, American Woodturner

OK, a little wandering. There is a message here, it is on the tail end of the tale. I'm living in an old farm house after losing my home in Isaac. There is an old pressure cooker in the cabinets and I have been thinking about how good a big pot of pressure cooked beans used to be. I don't remember using a pressure cooker myself but I have seen them used dozens of times and watched them at work.

I got the beans, sausage, and seasoning in the pot and started working on other things. This stove top doesn't seem to get as hot as many and the bottom of the pot is bowed outward mightily meaning I don't get good contact with the glass top range. I never did get a real stream of steam or water vapor going but work to do so I set the pea in place, a weight to control steam pressure, and went on about my business after reducing heat. About two hours later I decide time to check on my beans. No dancing pea, no steam. I tilted the pea sideways a bit and steam hissed awhile and faded away. Seemed like I remembered some peas having grooves in the bottom to vent pressure so I should be golden. Take the pea off to constantly vent pressure before unfastening the lid, check my beans, and back to work.

I haven't messed with pressure pots but I took the cap off many a hot radiator dating back to the sixties when I worked at a full service service station. I grabbed some big lens reading glasses that were handy and a thick pot holder. On second thought, if I need eye protection these glasses don't cut it. Grabbed a pair of dark bubble type safety glasses, looked cool indoors I guess, and with the pot holder I was set.

I twisted my hand so the pot holder sealed against the top of the pot facing me and vented the pea again. Then I removed the pea. Not steam but water sprayed out the top! I had my own miniature geyser going with steam and boiling water coming out the top and going up to the hood of the range. It kept going and going, it isn't stopping! Moved the pot to the sink. After a minute or so it is still spraying. Where is all of this water coming from and why don't I get steam and water vapor instead of this stream of solid water? No help for it, I opened the back door and hurried across the carpet with the pot, sitting it outside on the grass where it continued to spray happily. How much water can there be in a pot of beans? Best guess, three to five minutes worth of solid spray from that small tube.

A lot of potential for trouble here. Living alone the most obvious danger is avoided, death by significant other when they see the mess I made! However I also avoided the danger to my eyes and my skin being scalded with probably third degree burns. Steam and superheated water do terrible things.

A habit of safe practices kept me safe when one thing went wrong. There will always be things that go wrong in our homes, shops, and on our lathes. The nature of life, dangers are present. With a culture of safety we can minimize those dangers and often, just like I did less than an hour ago, break the chain that leads to an accident and perhaps major injury.

I haven't been in very many individual woodturner's shops but judging by all the video I see what is lacking is a culture of safety. The woodturners I watch routinely take risks they don't have to. Only creating safe habits as individuals and a culture of safe practices as a group can change that.

On the plus side, the beans are ready and they are as good as I remembered. Got plenty, if you are in or near area code 70456 come on by!

Hu

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
..... if you are in or near area code 70456 come on by!

That's a Zip code.

I was thinking about a story of a disaster that my former boss was relating to his mom when he was about fifteen years old. Somewhere in mid-story he had used the word "often". When he finally concluded the story and asked his mom, "what do you think of that?", she replied, "the 't' in 'often' is silent."

Having the wind taken from his sails in such a quick stroke apparently made a forever lasting impression because he was a taskmaster about using perfect grammar. His mom would have been proud of the ripple effect.

..."the 't' in 'often' is silent."

...he was a taskmaster about using perfect grammar. His mom would have been proud of the ripple effect.

Just because I can't help myself, I have to say it: that's pronunciation. And my daughter, with the M.A. in linguistics, would say that's just dialectal variation, and both are correct. Oddly, she pronounces the "t" and I do not.

you are right of course

That's a Zip code.

I was thinking about a story of a disaster that my former boss was relating to his mom when he was about fifteen years old. Somewhere in mid-story he had used the word "often". When he finally concluded the story and asked his mom, "what do you think of that?", she replied, "the 't' in 'often' is silent."

Having the wind taken from his sails in such a quick stroke apparently made a forever lasting impression because he was a taskmaster about using perfect grammar. His mom would have been proud of the ripple effect.

Bill,

You are right of course, left more beans for me though! A very busy day today and I wrote that in haste. Did get a couple day's work done so I can play on the lathe tomorrow.

Hu

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Just because I can't help myself, I have to say it: that's pronunciation. And my daughter, with the M.A. in linguistics, would say that's just dialectal variation, and both are correct. Oddly, she pronounces the "t" and I do not.

His mom went to Vassar, I believe even though they moved to Alpine, Texas of all places. I imagine that west Texas twang was a major dialectical challenge. My boss reviewed technical papers so he didn't"often" have to endure hearing my Texas dialect.

I have noticed that both versions are now acceptable as is the case with many other words as well as newly invented words like "decider" which previously was reserved for a jug of apple juice (as in, "pass de-cider ta me, bubba").

Delightful story, Hu, and well told! Years ago, I "often" used a pressure cooker and have heard other stories of similar incidents. I now soak beans overnight and cook them in a regular pot.

You were wise to use all that safety gear. Glad you didn't get hurt AND that the beans were good.

Betty Scarpino, Editor, American Woodturner

why not go modern with a crock pot?:cool2:
Hu,
was down your way last Christmas season and y'all make some dang good food! Oh and you know how to make grits.

Last edited:
Some of those in the cabinets too

why not go modern with a crock pot?:cool2:
Hu,
was down your way last Christmas season and y'all make some dang good food! Oh and you know how to make grits.

Bill,

Crock pots in the cabinets too, just an impulse to play with the old pressure cooker. I was looking on Amazon a month or so ago and found large old style pressure cookers and canners quite reasonable from one company. Seemed like might be the ticket for a vacuum chamber and I might try boiling green wood in one although it might get too "tender"!

Somehow it doesn't seem like a good time to order two or three large pressure cookers right now. . .

Grits are still my favorite way to start a day when it is cold outside. Not much on stews or soups but some etouffee or a good gumbo when I come in at night after that cold day makes things wonderful. I would like to move to a cooler climate but I'm going to have to marry a Cajun gal to take with me, can't leave the food behind!

Hu

Back