• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Safety: Publish graphic photos of injuries?

Recently I received a suggestion that publishing a photo or two of injuries sustained while turning would be an effective method to help AAW members adopt safe practices. So far, it's been my policy not to do that in the journal, but perhaps I should rethink that stance?

I'm wondering: What is it that makes you careful in your shop? Do you need reminders such as photos of injuries? Are photos of injuried body parts effective, annoying/unwelcome, or ineffective? Do reminders, such as a safety quiz that will be in the June issue (and available for downloading on the website), work? Is a simple report of an accident effective? Are discussions about safety in club meetings welcome or unwelcome, effective or ineffective? Why/why not?

What about protection from "unseen" unsafe practices, such as breathing wood dust (lung disease) or standing on concrete for hours (hip and joint problems) or leaning at an odd angle over your lathe (developing back problems)? To what extent can (should) the journal educate turners: Graphic photos, gentle reminders, or something in between?

Betty Scarpino, Editor, American Woodturner

Injury reports with a detailed story of how it happened plus what could have been done (or not done) to prevent it would be most effective IMO. Having gone to driver's ed class in hs where the walls were plastered with photos of mutilated bodies, I would say the value is only for rubber-neckers or necrophiles. On top of which, many readers may well be put off by graphic images and thus skip the entire story thus defeating the purpose.

Betty, this is a great question, or series of questions, but I don't think there are any easy answers. I've seen some of the graphic pictures of injuries from woodturning and while they certainly grab my attention and make me think, what sticks longer with me is the discussion about or information about what went wrong to cause the injury in the first place.

Also, while the serious injuries or even deaths do grab our attention, as they should, I expect there are more overall impacts to our health, as a community of turners, from things like inhaling dust and/or the other items you mentioned, so articles about those topics would be valuable, from my perspective.

Terry
Waterford VA

Every time I am in my shop I am reminded by the scars on my right arm of what can happen even when you do follow safety rules.

I don't think pictures of the injuries themselves would be appropriate, but sometimes a picture of the end result will nudge a person to engage their brain before they turn on a machine which can severely injure or kill them.

Having gone to driver's ed class in hs where the walls were plastered with photos of mutilated bodies, I would say the value is only for rubber-neckers or necrophiles. On top of which, many readers may well be put off by graphic images and thus skip the entire story thus defeating the purpose.

I cut those mutilated bodies out of cars and placed them in my ambulance for many years. Also treated industrial accidents that were pretty nasty at times. I think the kind of person who would willingly look at such things will not do so to learn, and those who want to learn will be put off.

I assume that permission to publish might be a bit difficult to get as well. Especially where legal action may be pending.

What keeps you safe in the shop? You do. You stay away from the throw zone to avoid becoming a proof of Newton's first, keep the rpm low as you turn to avoid consequences of the second, so your face won't become a demonstration of the third. Then you turn off the equipment and go upstairs when you begin to feel tired.

Last edited:
Betty
I think like the rest here I don't want to see people torn up. If you could show the after the accident picture so that we all can see what can happen I fell that might help. The biggest challenge you have or I should say we all have is to TRY to get everyone to at lest THINK FIRST if we can accomplish that we may have a chance to save some of the pain and sadness accidents give us.
Just a thought.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I agree with the "don't publish" comments. I've seen graphic images of car accidents and such but that hasn't stopped me from being stupid from time to time. I'd likely skip such an article due to the gruesomeness.

I don't think they will serve the learning purpose intended.

Please don't print graphic pictures. I have seen nasty industrial accidents such as people losing fingers, cuts, broken bones through the skin and etc. I handle those situations better because your adrenaline kicks in to help. Photos of such things make me cringe and thus I avoid reading about it. Just as the journal puts in shop tips how about a safety tips section. They could be short articles on steps people take for safety. These would need to be checked by someone qualified since I have read some safety tips by folks that seem unnecessary and sometimes could cause another problem. Use ESCAPE injury as your guide.

Equipment - learn the tool your using, off/on, where to stand and etc.
Surroundings - clean, organized, where things are, main shutoffs (breaker box) and etc.
Clothing - appropriate dress, shoes, hair ties and etc.
Ability - understand your level, limitations, think before you act and etc.
Protection - faceshield, safety glasses, gloves and etc. (these may change per job being done but use what is necessary for the job)
Example - be a leader and do the other five in your shop, demonstrating or teaching

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Recently I received a suggestion that publishing a photo or two of injuries sustained while turning would be an effective method to help AAW members adopt safe practices. So far, it's been my policy not to do that in the journal, but perhaps I should rethink that stance?

I'm wondering: What is it that makes you careful in your shop? Do you need reminders such as photos of injuries? Are photos of injuried body parts effective, annoying/unwelcome, or ineffective? Do reminders, such as a safety quiz that will be in the June issue (and available for downloading on the website), work? Is a simple report of an accident effective? Are discussions about safety in club meetings welcome or unwelcome, effective or ineffective? Why/why not?

What about protection from "unseen" unsafe practices, such as breathing wood dust (lung disease) or standing on concrete for hours (hip and joint problems) or leaning at an odd angle over your lathe (developing back problems)? To what extent can (should) the journal educate turners: Graphic photos, gentle reminders, or something in between?

Betty,

1. I don't think the photos of injuries help.

2. For me safety comes down to focus and discipline of the mind.
A long time ago I heard Clay Foster say your most important safety equipment is an alert mind.
That pretty much says it all
Focus on the task at hand is essential. A lack of focus causes us to ruin woodturnings or cause harm to ourselves.h

John Mascoll jokes about how when he starts pricing a piece on the lathe he blows it up.
That is just an illustration of thinking about something other than making the cut.

Most injuries happen when people are not alert and attentive. Day dreaming, listening to music, in a hurry, or tired.

3. Long term hazards are very important.
Good Posture, good shoes, fatigue Mats, ventilation, dust protection, hearing protection, holding tools gently
All are important for long term health.

I saw a slogan yesterday "safety doesn't happen by accident" on a Florida depart of transportation booth.

Among my turning friends having hospital visits
4 have been hurt on the bandsaw
2 by wood coming off the lathe
1 by wood breaking apart. ***. The only one not preventable would have been insignificant with a face shield
1 on the grinder
1 with a hand chisel
1 with a hand drill
0 with a chain saw. People don't day dream when chain sawing.....

Example - be a leader and do the other five in your shop, demonstrating or teaching
I think this is so important. More and more when a top turner visits they ask to borrow a face shield.

My 2 cents,
Al

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I think it might be good occasionally to make a point. However I don't think they really stop someone from doing stupid or accidental things. To use Marks description of the graphic photos we saw in High School of car accidents, did it really help ? I'd like to see the stats if it did.
On the other hand if it makes someone think about safety maybe it will help.
Or you could go all out and put them all over the cover like the rag mags at the supermarket do. You could put my head on the out of shape Arnold Swarzenegger photos with the line, John Lucas goes totally off the fitness wagon, or a photo of David Ellsworth with the line, Ellsworth gives up turning for knitting. :)

No pictures for me, please. They would just distract from the safety message. A verbal description is sufficient. As a personal safety reminder I keep the parts of a turning that exploded on my work bench at all times. I didn't have a face shield and was damn lucky. Put down my tools, went inside and ordered one, and haven't failed to wear it since.

Well, it is like the old Will Rogers saying goes;

There are 3 kinds of men in this world. Those that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and those who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Or in the case of one of my nephews, they have to pee on the electric fence several times.

I like demonstrations of what can go wrong. I use a 1 1/2 inch square piece of foam rubber to show what happens if your finger gets between the tool rest and the wood. Foam goes flying off, and you hear a number of gasps from the audience. Same with cutting some thing on the sharp edge of a bowl. You can't reach every one, and some pics of injuries might help, but personally, I don't want to see blood and gore. Don't even like it in movies.

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have been out of town for a few days. My mom passed away on Friday. When I returned and read the opening post, I was ready to register my strong opinion against such stuff. I am very much in agreement with the way that Mark Mandell and MichaelMouse stated their opposition to such photos. I am pleased that everybody else seems to feel the same way.

So my recommendation for a suitable approach would be along the lines of a verbal description of the situation, reflection on what may have been done wrong, and conclusions on ways to avoid a recurrence. At least, that is the way that I tend to share my few boo-boo's in the shop. I once showed a bandaged hand in our club newsletter (a couple wraps of gauze) which was far from being grizzly since there was no bruising, blood, nor mangled limbs. However, the picture did not really add anything to the message. As already mentioned, if the verbal message doesn't do the job on convincing somebody, pictures are not only a waste of time, but puts the journal in the same category as supermarket tabloids.

Last edited:
Certainly is a consensus: No graphic images. I've obviously agreed with that sentiment for the past five years, refraining from publishing photos of injured body parts. I've recently had the opportunity to use a couple of photos, but declined. Just checking to find out what others think/believe in case somehow, as a woman, I was not clearly assessing the situation, and maybe most men need a more vivid message. Really glad to hear you don't!

So, thank you for your comments.

I like the idea of a safety tip section. Also like the idea of those tips being vetted for sound advice. It's easy for one person (me) to miss some obvious pitfalls. Every issue of the journal is proofread by two other woodturners, but even so ....

Woodturning is fun. Woodturning is potentially dangerous. I think it's actually gratifying to know that most woodturners never get seriously hurt. I think as a whole, all of us use a good bit of common sense and caution.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I saw this thread here yesterday, and generally agree that adding photos of injuries is not the best thing to do.

It took awhile to consolidate my thoughts........but basically, adding the photos would tend to do more for those who want to drive the point, and would have little effect in actually causing the target audience to be more safety conscious. I agree that adding the photos would tend to make many readers skip the content altogether.

IMHO, it would be far more beneficial to hear from those who have had accidents, large and small.......with a little summary of their conclusions of what happened......sort of like what Bill did in another thread.

ooc

Thank you, Odie, for consolidating your thoughts and sharing, especially the personal stories part. Two of my friends have cut themselves seriously on a bandsaw, one just a couple of weeks ago. One was just plain stupid ... consuming beer, an argument with his wife, then the inattention that followed. He came close to losing four fingers.

The other was also divided attention, but no other factor. Serious but small cut (just nicking a tendon), and she will have full recovery.

Last night I wanted to finish a project and one step required using my bandsaw. After the first cut, I realized my attention was not fully present, it was late, and I was tired. Thinking of my two friends, I put the wood aside and shut off the lights. Yes, it does help to hear personal stories, especially from people I know.

Betty, another vote for no gory photos and at the same time a vote for dedicating some space in each issue for safety. Its not uncommon today for someone to retire from an unrelated occupation and purchase a complete shop full of tools. So now we have someone who may never have run a handsaw but now owns a 3-hp. table saw or band saw.

Maybe a staged "What's wrong in this photo" with the answer upside down on the bottom of the page would get attention.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
.... Maybe a staged "What's wrong in this photo" with the answer upside down on the bottom of the page would get attention.

I believe that it was The Family Handyman magazine the used to do something along those lines with little arrows and captions pointing to impending boo-boos.

Betty, another vote for no gory photos and at the same time a vote for dedicating some space in each issue for safety. Its not uncommon today for someone to retire from an unrelated occupation and purchase a complete shop full of tools. So now we have someone who may never have run a handsaw but now owns a 3-hp. table saw or band saw.

Assuming they haven't the sense to read up on how to use their tools, only money to buy them?

In the recent "oops" thread I really had to refrain from asking why anyone would think they could grab a spinning object with impunity. I've bumped an unrounded rim before and earned myself one of those cauterized splinter cuts. But I consider that an accident, not a "stupid turner trick." I also give a quick roll over edges even when they're not ready to form fully now because I don't care to have it happen again.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... In the recent "oops" thread I really had to refrain from asking why anyone would think they could grab a spinning object with impunity. ...

Aww, go ahead and ask. I'll bet the perpetrator might say something like it looked so "purdy" that I ... uh, I mean he, just had to feel it while it was spinning.

As editor of a journal that is read by 17,000+ woodturners, I cannot assume everyone will have the same mindset I have. I've been working with wood for more than 35 years, and (knock on wood) my most serious injury is cutting the tip of my finger with a carving gouge, to the bone. I think my pride was injured more than my finger (which probably should have had stitches but a bandaid sufficed).

But, not everyone has had that kind of training and background. My industrial arts teacher, Dabney Doty, was a stickler for safety. In his many years teaching college students, he had no major injuries. I learned a lot from him, safety being high on the list.

So, how do we provide meaningful information about safety for a retired 65-year-old guy who may be declining in physical and mental abilities, yet wants to have an interesting hobby? Scare the &#@% out of him? I think we agree that approach is not the answer.

I believe we all want to 1) have fun woodturning and 2) avoid accidents (mishaps, stupid mistakes--label "injuries" whatever your preference). My editorial philosophy is to create a journal that has an ingrained approach to safety--I attempt to make every technique and project article as safe as possible. Recently I've included a higher number of specific articles on safety and woodturning. I try to make them as relevant and interesting as possible. What else can be done? I like some of the ideas shared here and will be considering some as possibilities for future issues, so thank you all!

Perhaps part of the answer resides within local chapters? There's where the direct contact happens with the majority of AAW members. A lot of chatter has surrounded the AAW's national symposium and its safety aspect. But, only about 10% of members attend that symposium. Are local chapters educating their members about safety? It's a fairly accepted statistic that approximately 50% of local chapter members are not members of the AAW. Are they hearing adequate safety messages?

I don't mind if this thread wanders beyond the initial question ... I think that's been answered.

Betty,

Maybe include in the magazine every once in a while, a "My stupid turner tricks" column. Some of us do learn by example and reading. It would refresh the memory of us who have been there and done that, and open at least a few eyes for the newbies.

robo hippy

I am on the same page with most, no gruesome pictures. I don't take in those kind of movies, and don't want to see them in a purchased publication.

I think it's a good idea to add a new safety section to the Journal, and it would be more meaningful to have stories from those that could offer them of their experiences and outcome.

Perhaps part of the answer resides within local chapters? Are local chapters educating their members about safety?

I agree whole heartedly with the local clubs educating their members. We just created the position of "Safety Officer" in our club. We assigned the responsibility to the clubs VP(me), with the expectation that we'd get a club member to volunteer for the position, which is what happened.

Although even with a safety officer looking out for things I make the statement at the start of our meetings that safety is the responsibility of everyone and that whoever sees a safety issue needs to speak up, no matter who you are.

So from a local club viewpoint we talk about safety and post safety oriented articles on our website for review. We also make it clear that it's everyone's job to watch for safety concerns and speak up when you see something you think is not safe.

Tom

gotta be one in every crowd . . .

There has to be one in every crowd I guess. First let me be perfectly clear, when I am talking about graphic photo's I'm not talking about blood, gore, or decapitated feet.(Decapitated feet are a matter of perspective) I have owned wrecker services and salvage yards among other businesses and seen more than my share of fatalities and injuries. Sometimes a little gray matter mixed in with the blood and hair on a starburst pattern broken windshield too, uncomfortable thinking about that even now.

However, while I'm not crazy about the pictures I do think that pictures of clean stitched wounds, old scars, and permanently deformed fingers and such are effective delivering a message, more effective than just words. Just the damage to a shop before it is repaired can be effective too. I have seen images of an object hanging in a cinderblock wall after penetrating both sides of the block, delivered a message. When I had eighteen wheelers with the old lock rims it was far too common for tire professionals to get killed or injured, mainly because they got too relaxed and comfortable with the risks involved with their job. I stopped at a tire shop to get some work done one day and the owner showed me a sixty or eighty ton stand-up hydraulic jack that was sheared in half, steel center ram and all, one of the old heavy beasts. Delivered a message I never forgot working on my own tires. Seeing the injuries others received working around horses, on and on, seeing the results of carelessness or mistakes delivers a message that words never can.

I tore my fingernail and a chunk of flesh in a metal lathe years ago. Reading these words one person might visualize a little more than a broken fingernail, someone else might visualize a fingernail ripped straight up the middle and half of the end of my finger hanging off back to the joint. The reality was somewhere in the middle. Without a picture we can be a lot like the ten blind men examining an elephant.

No reason for names or faces to be involved unless it is a facial injury and even then faces can be blotted out to a degree that the person can't be recognized but images hammer a point home in a way words never can. Typing this I realize I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of pictures of facial injuries at all. That is a little bit the point though, we shouldn't be comfortable with what we are seeing.

To be very blunt, with a background in industry and heavy commercial I have to say that the average woodturner has horrible safety practices judging from all the video I have watched and the one live demo I have seen. The reason often given in the video's, especially video's of demo's is the safety corners are cut to save time. Isn't that how many accidents occur? Someone ignores safety to save a little time. Then there is the "It's OK for me but not for you" routine. That doesn't fly either. If it is unsafe for any moderately experienced person to do it is unsafe for anyone to do.

I think the emphasis on safety needs to be sharply increased and I can't think of a better place for that emphasis to come from than the AAW.

Hu

Last edited:
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
NO to Blood and Gore - Yes to Education

I agree with most of those responding to this thread in that I see absolutely NO benefit to posting images of woodturning injuries in American Woodturner. That said, I would LOVE to see occasional articles devoted to the analysis of woodturning-related accidents and injuries and what the situation was that caused the accident. Drawings of how the incident transpired, the set-up of the lathe, the position of the turner, how the turning tool was being used, quality and condition of the blank, etc. can all be included in an article meant to explain the conditions that were present to have resulted in the accident and/or injury, with additional explanation and recommendations on how to avoid similar situations. It would be GREAT to make people aware of what may have contributed to an accident, but we do not need to take the ineffective "scare tactics" approach to try to make people change their behavior. In some (most?) cases, turners may be just unaware that an unsafe condition exists, and these types of articles would go a long way in educating the growing number of turners, particularly beginning turners, on what might be considered safe or unsafe. There will always be those that will just stare at a train wreck for the destruction and chaos, and others who will learn from it - we need to promote thoughtful reflection about safety, not scaring people to do what should become second nature when learning woodturning in the first place.

As with any topic to be published, there has to be someone available, knowledgeable, and willing to write about the topic and be able to relate details of the situation and provide accurate commentary and advice. Further, with articles of this nature, you have to have a "victim" who is willing to disclose what might be considered a "bonehead" mistake willing to report it and have news of it released to the world. This should favor articles being written about the incident only, without reference to who had the accident, etc. There would have to be people willing to document the situations and write such articles, or at least get in touch with someone who can follow up. This is where chapters can help by making sure these "learning opportunities" are not missed!

Under no circumstances should this effort be associated with a title such as "Stupid Turning Tricks" (or anything similar) if it is to be taken seriously, as it should be. The articles should be serious, informative, and suggest strategies to avoid similar accidents. They can be a great addition to the Journal, or to an AAW Safety Web Site resource that we hope to develop when we move forward with the planned IT improvements on the AAW's web site.

I am particularly interested in furthering the involvement of AAW members in promoting safe woodturning practices and the significant investment in education efforts that are required. As chair of the AAW's Safety committee, I welcome your input as the committee's activities will be expanding to include evaluation of AAW produced videos for safety content, revision of the AAW's safety guidelines and safety best practices for chapters and woodturning demonstrations, and developing a series of reference articles about specific safety issues. We have already published the first 'journals to books' publication on "Safety for Woodturners", and we will continue to examine how the AAW can advance the opportunities for chapters to improve their educational mission to teach and enforce safe woodturning practices. We also try to include some aspect of safety or best practices in each of our bimonthly e-newsletters, "Woodturning FUNdamentals", which targets beginning woodturners and those members who teach them. Please communicate what safety efforts have worked for your chapter, programs on safe turning practices and teaching safety to beginners, etc. All of these kinds of reports can be helpful to the whole AAW organization by serving as examples of what can be done!

It has been suggested that the AAW serve as a record-keeping entity for woodturning accidents, but this would be a difficult, if not impossible task, with a potentially huge time and effort investment. There is also a potential legal liability issue present as well. We don't want to go there, but I think we DO have an OPPORTUNITY, if not a RESPONSIBILITY to teach safety from all perspectives, including that of accident analysis and review. We do not want to become "safety police" (although we do intend to review ALL turning activities for safe practices at the upcoming AAW symposium in Tampa in both the demonstration areas and in the trade show!!!), but we do hope to promote safety education in a number of different ways.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts or recommendations, or specific projects you feel the AAW should be pursuing in terms of safety education. Please send your e-mail messages to rob@woodturner.org

Thanks for starting this thread Betty!

Rob Wallace, Chair
AAW Safety Committee

First let me be perfectly clear, when I am talking about graphic photo's I'm not talking about blood, gore, or decapitated feet.

However, while I'm not crazy about the pictures I do think that pictures of clean stitched wounds, old scars, and permanently deformed fingers and such are effective delivering a message, more effective than just words. Just the damage to a shop before it is repaired can be effective too. I have seen images of an object hanging in a cinderblock wall after penetrating both sides of the block, delivered a message.

I tore my fingernail and a chunk of flesh in a metal lathe years ago. Reading these words one person might visualize a little more than a broken fingernail, someone else might visualize a fingernail ripped straight up the middle and half of the end of my finger hanging off back to the joint. The reality was somewhere in the middle. Without a picture we can be a lot like the ten blind men examining an elephant.

No reason for names or faces to be involved unless it is a facial injury and even then faces can be blotted out to a degree that the person can't be recognized but images hammer a point home in a way words never can. Typing this I realize I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of pictures of facial injuries at all. That is a little bit the point though, we shouldn't be comfortable with what we are seeing.

.... I have to say that the average woodturner has horrible safety practices judging from all the video I have watched and the one live demo I have seen. The reason often given in the video's, especially video's of demo's is the safety corners are cut to save time. Isn't that how many accidents occur? Someone ignores safety to save a little time. Then there is the "It's OK for me but not for you" routine. That doesn't fly either. If it is unsafe for any moderately experienced person to do it is unsafe for anyone to do.

Hu

Hu, thank you for your thoughtful specific comments about the type of photos that could be shown. In Hilda Carpenter's article on safety (a couple of issues ago), one image showed a wood shard from a split platter embedded in a wall, thrown there by the piece breaking apart while on the lathe. Good example of a non-gory image that could possibly help someone realize the potential danger in unsound wood. Your similar suggestion is excellent.

With the quiz that will be in the June issue, the author sent an image of a cut finger with the stitches still there. Not all that gory, but a step up from the shard in the wall. I decided, however, not to use the image because it just didn't add to the message.

You mention videos showing unsafe practices. Egads, yes! I don't even know where to start with that problem as it exists now. I guess I can really only speak for the journal: We will eventually have video links that illustrate techniques. At the top of our list is that the videos show safe practices.

I think it's a good idea to add a new safety section to the Journal, and it would be more meaningful to have stories from those that could offer them of their experiences and outcome.

I agree whole heartedly with the local clubs educating their members. We just created the position of "Safety Officer" in our club. .....

I make the statement at the start of our meetings that safety is the responsibility of everyone and that whoever sees a safety issue needs to speak up.

Tom

Tom, your club is fortunate to have you as a safety officer. It's a big responsibility, so good luck.

I like your idea of publishing testimonials from woodturners who have had an injury (and Robo mentioned this, too). It is an effective way to learn about safety. So, send your testimonials and let's see what evolves.

Are there any turners who don't have a hole in the wall/ceiling????

Not yet, and the window behind the lathe is intact as well. It's been >30 years and >5,000 pieces so far. Guess it's like earthquakes, inevitable, but the exact timing unknown.

The old Masterchuck used to let go with distressing regularity, but the habit of cutting high outside only pushed the piece down and away into the headstock. MAN, I hated that stinker.

With all the hazards connected with turning, I might just want to sit in front of the TV with my two puppies in my lap. :p But, I'll probably get in a wreck going to get dog food. :eek:
IMHO, the graphic pix aren't necessary; a description of the injury and what caused it are enough.

Website
www.tri-colorturners.com
Betty,

I see no need for photos of injured persons. Sensationalizing the event will not necessarily lead to learning. You have to have an interest in safety for it to be effective. That interest should drive you to read scenarios, analyze, and internalize the lessons. That said, nobody is perfect and mistakes/accidents will happen no matter how hard we try to avoid them. I think the most we can hope for is that personal interest and subsequent analysis will help to reduce the potential for and perhaps mitigate the consequences. I say short vignettes (real or possible), sans the people pics, with lessons would be a great addition to the journal.

Best regards,

"I'm wondering: What is it that makes you careful in your shop? "

I think it's basically knowledge your tools and how to use them. If you have an understanding of what your tools are capable of, as well as their limitations, you don't exceed those limits, Knowing why a certain tool is used instead of another, knowing what actually happens when you tighten a chuck. These type of things can provide insight into safety. When these type of things are explained, especially with pictures, there is usually a "now I get it" moment.
The shock value of graphic photos only lasts a short while, the educational value of explaining how stuff works lasts much longer.

"So, how do we provide meaningful information about safety for a retired 65-year-old guy who may be declining in physical and mental abilities, yet wants to have an interesting hobby?"

I think, as some have suggested, a forensic type investigation of what were the causes or causes of the accident and then how to prevent them if possible.

"I like the idea of a safety tip section. Also like the idea of those tips being vetted for sound advice."

I agree that every issue should address at least one area of safety, whether it's face shields or rubber mats. Some of these subjects might not be the first thing you think about when you're reading a turning magazine but they are every bit as important as what you turn.

The shock value of graphic photos only lasts a short while, the educational value of explaining how stuff works lasts much longer.

I agree that every issue should address at least one area of safety, whether it's face shields or rubber mats. Some of these subjects might not be the first thing you think about when you're reading a turning magazine but they are every bit as important as what you turn.

Edward, I could not have said it better myself, thank you.

So everyone .... send me articles on safety, if only a tip.

Matt, hello ... I received Grace's recital announcement. Enjoy the event this weekend and tell her congratulations and hello!

Website
dchandcrafted.artistgalleryonline.com
Not needed

Betty, Safety is a state of mind. Yes accidents do happen even with the best of intentions. People get tired, get in a hurry and bad things happen. We either decide that our health is important and take actions/precautions or we do not. Gruesome pictures do not influence those who are careless and frankly I do not need to look nor do I choose to be drawn to this sort of thing.

Back