• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tampa...

Have been to HART to see how to get from the airport to downtown.
Tampa's web-site does not give a lot of detail(that I can find) on getting downtown.
Does anyone have an idea of what would be the best means, bus or taxi. Will there be an AAW bus?
Do I plan to early?:D

contact your hotel, most large convention center hotels will offer shuttle service

It's that or try to catch someone else flying in at the same time to share a cab with, not that I worry about cab fares, it is what it is. I'll check and see what the hotel offers.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
New info on Tampa Airport to Downtown Tranportation Posted

Glen:

Following your post here, I asked that some information on available transportation between Tampa Airport and downtown be added to the Symposium web site, and it already has appeared (That was quick! Thanks Phil!) on the 2013 AAW Symposium page:

http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2013/index.htm#registration

Scroll down a bit to "Parking and Transportation" and information on the Super Shuttle and local Transit is posted there. These are likely less expensive than cab rides.

I can tell you that I took the Super Shuttle from the hotel (Marriott) to the airport in early January following the on-site Board Meeting in Tampa, and it was not only very convenient, but was a fairly quick trip as well. Note that if you buy a round-trip Super Shuttle Ticket when making your first trip, you get a discount on the second trip (i.e. from your hotel back to the Airport). BTW - You need to inform them 24 hours in advance of your desired pick-up time, and have your flight information available when making your reservation.

I hope this helps!

Rob

If you are so inclined, I believe there is a bus Route 30 on HART (the city's regional bus authority). Route 30 can be picked up at the airport curbside by the east end of the Red Baggage Claim. It makes a stop at the corner of Marion and Washington streets in downtown Tampa, about two blocks from the Hilton Tampa hotel. I think the price is $2 and it runs about every 30 minutes. The link to the website is http://www.gohart.org/routes/hart/tampa-international.html
Dave

Website
Dave:

The HART Bus Transit Authority is the second option listed on the AAW Symposium web site, including appropriate links.

Rob

Rob, THANK YOU THANK YOU, I was hoping someone from AAW would see the post and jump on it, turns out it was you. Good job, hope to see you there.

Website
I'm looking forward to meeting you too! I will be "all around" durring the rotations on all 3 days (mostly checking on demo rooms to make sure all are ready), I am doing one of the Special Interest Night presentations on Friday evening (Gizmos and Gadgets), and will be one of the auctioneers after the banquet. Please stop me and introduce yourself if I don't see you first!

Rob

Last edited:
I'll be doing my best chicken without a head,:cool: but if I spot you I will hollar at you. I'm getting excited already.

Glen, you can not see it all, make time to see instant gallery, 1/2 hour is no where near enough time, see vendor area, kinda amazing also, plan your rotations
know you cannot do or see it all, enjoy what you do do

I know all that Charlie, this will be the fourth AAW I've been to so that was the meaning of the chicken without his head. I am going to see Glenn Lucas, Michael & Cynthia Gibson, and Terry Scott. I know that Terry is not doing a demo but will be good to meet and talk with him for a little bit. Anything after that is just pure enjoyment. I have always said the symposium is a good place to get broke/deeper in debt.:D

Back