• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

If you could

Website
woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com
Not sure if this thread belongs here or on the Newbie Page, please feel free to move it.

If you could make ONLY one suggestion to a newer turner what would it be.

I'll start out.

Make sure you pay as much attention to finishing the bottom of a piece as you do to the rest of it. It is easy to get excited and decided that it's good enough just to get finished, the bottom of a piece, especially if it is signed is a very critical element.

Find the nearest club. Best learning source, and cheap as well. Second would be hands on mentoring/lessons. Also available through most clubs.

robo hippy

learn to sharpen your tools

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
take a 3-5 day class from a good instructor learn the basics

then make at least 5 of any object you turn

i see lots of beginners who make one ornament, one box, one natural edge bowl, one goblet, one top..... all are soso

when you make 5 of something by the time you get to number 3 you know how to hold it on the lathe and what tools you will use and you concentrate on form and surface. also number 5 often takes 1/4 the time of number 1 and looks 5 times better.

have fun,
Al

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Believe in yourself. Make your own discoveries. Sometimes it's better to be a maverick, than a herd turner........It will take the will to overcome obstacles by learning what doesn't work many times, and in many different ways........but when you find out what does work, it will be a reflection of individualism, rather than the herd.

ooc

Last edited:
If you could make ONLY one suggestion to a newer turner what would it be.

Turn slow and stay out of the way.

If you're not there, it hits only air, and E equals mv square.

Safe over meaningless "style."

Okay, so you've started turning and taken that "Turning 101" evening beginners class so you can figure out which end of the tools to hold, joined a club and are making some shavings.

About a year or so after turning on your own take a week long class at a remote location in advanced turning. That total submersion into woodturning for a whole week will sharpen all of your turning skills.

I started turning again (turned in high school in the 60's) in 2009. I took a week long course in 2012, and it was the best thing I ever did for my overall turning capabilities. I don't hesitate to jump into just about any turning project now, that one week was a great foundation to build from.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Find the nearest club. Best learning source, and cheap as well. Second would be hands on mentoring/lessons. Also available through most clubs.

robo hippy

Clubs are concentrated areas of friendly helpful people! Most of them have good information. They know where the best wood supply is, where the FREE wood is, how to ask for wood. They know who knows what about the various aspects of the club. Ask around to find out who knows most or best about what you want to learn more about.
If you're just beginning, ask who gives the best demo for beginners, see if you can make that person your "new best friend."

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
To any Turner:

Don't just learn HOW to do specific turning techniques, but also learn WHY you do specific turning techniques. Only then will you be able to adapt to new turning challenges as they present themselves, and you will be able to learn new methods much more easily when you completely understand the basics.

Rob

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Wood is like people......every piece is an individual creation of Mother Nature (or God, if you are inclined to think along that line!)

If you are successful making a particular cut a certain way on any given piece of wood, this doesn't mean the next time you attempt the same cut, it will also be successful. Get into the habit of trying it this way, and if it doesn't give a clean cut, don't lose faith, try it that way.....and then another way! If you give yourself enough options in your bag of tricks, you will find what works......this time! :D

That's probably essentially what Rob just said, just in different words..........:cool2:

ooc

Last edited:
What?

What is the newbie doing posting in this thread?

To answer my own question, pointing out the obvious. Today is a maintenance day for me. I need to clean my lathe including the bottom of the banjo and the tailstock where they have been sliding in sap. I also need to do some minor tuning. One banjo lock nut that adjusts tension when I turn the lock handle needs an eighth or quarter turn. the tailstock and banjo lock plates need tuning, I will replace them soon but for now sharpening corners that need to be sharp and deburring what needs to be smooth will have to do.

Don't fight with your machine. Far harder to work, more risk of damage to you, your work piece, your tools, your equipment. If something starts sticking, binding, or is too loose, stop and take care of it. At least once a week go over your machine top to bottom too, belts, feet, anything at all that needs attention. Same with the bench and everything you use. Devote maybe two hours in twenty to maintenance besides your quick daily routine. The result will be a safer, easier to work in environment and you will get that two hours back in ease of use.

Hu

<snip>

Don't fight with your machine. Far harder to work, more risk of damage to you, your work piece, your tools, your equipment. If something starts sticking, binding, or is too loose, stop and take care of it. At least once a week go over your machine top to bottom too, belts, feet, anything at all that needs attention. Same with the bench and everything you use. Devote maybe two hours in twenty to maintenance besides your quick daily routine. The result will be a safer, easier to work in environment and you will get that two hours back in ease of use.

Hu

That kinda reminds me of what Abraham Lincoln is credited with saying. "Give me 4 hours to cut down a tree and I will spend the first 2 sharpening my axe."

Don't fight with your machine. Far harder to work, more risk of damage to you, your work piece, your tools, your equipment. If something starts sticking, binding, or is too loose, stop and take care of it.

Or with the wood. Never ceases to amaze me how people talk of fighting the machine or the wood. If it ain't easy, its because you're doing it wrong.

Listen to your machine or wood when it "talks", too.

Don't "settle" for less than perfect. Make it so.

Back