• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Safety Reminder

I posted this on another forum and thought I would post this here also with hopes that someone may benefit from my experience. I hesitated posting this as safety has been discussed to great length in the past two years on this site and others. I hate to admit that this happened to me as I always stress safety in my shop. Just a few days before I was mentoring a new turner and mentioned to him several times to learn to do the particular cut without standing directly in the line of fire.

The burl was 19â€. I was turning at about 700 rpm. There was an invisible bark inclusion that caused the burl to separate in two pieces. When I first started turning a turner in the UP warned me of standing in the line of rotation. I was not standing in the line of fire at the time of separation. I was standing next to the tailstock doing a final light cut on the tenon before reversing the piece to core with the Mc Naughton bowl saver. I was wearing a 3M Airstream full helmet/face shield. Half of the burl hit me on the left side of the helmet knocking it completely off my head. The suspension system band broke in the back. I believe the helmet performed exactly as it should and absorbed almost the entire force of the blow. My right wrist and lower arm was black & blue from the handle of the gouge being forced up against it as the tip was pushed down, my shoulder still hurts a little at times from it being forced upward. The gouge was lying on the floor 6’ behind me.

I cannot imagine the severity of the injury I would have received, or if I would even be typing this, if I had been wearing lesser protection. I include a photo of the burl on the lathe and one of myself to show how fortunate I am. The steel light rack that I had suspended over the lathe was on the floor along with a lot of accessories, one florescent bulb was destroyed that was in a ceiling fixture. I am physically intact due to using good safety protection. I am ok and unharmed other than a cut to the forehead from the helmet that did not require stitches.

It is only due to the warning posts of others in the past that I was using a helmet at the time of this accident. Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Burl_19x.jpg
    Burl_19x.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Lucky.JPG
    Lucky.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 130

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
George.......

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you were doing everything right. Not in direct line of fire, and wearing protection. I suppose you could have wrapped the burl, but if there were no indications of an impending separation, we'd all be wrapping anything and everything. I'm not sure you should be feeling embarrassed about this.......there is a certain amount of gamble in woodturning, and it can't be done without any risk at all.

It looks like that was a massive piece of wood, since it wasn't turned on the inside yet. Lots of weight there.....big, and heavy. The centrifugal forces at 700rpm must be quite a lot. The only thing I can think to suggest, is possibly stopping to inspect often, but not to say you were going too long without checking on progress.

You probably saw the thread I started after a lady turner had a terrible accident. Because of her injury's, I converted a hockey helmet with face guard for woodturning. I've used it a couple of times now, but there really isn't anything that will guarantee absolute safety all the time. I could wear the helmet each and every time I turn on the lathe........but, that just won't happen. There are other times when need for tool control means I jeopardize the safety factor by not adhering to the "outside the line of fire" rule.

So, what is the solution?.......give up woodturning and take up pottery making?.....not on your life! :D

ooc

Last edited:
That just shows the importance of protection thank you for posting i just wish more of my club members would wear a face shield .Its great to see you are ok

Cheers Ian

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I am very glad to hear that you are OK. Thinks like that can happen. I had a big piece separate, but it was not totally by surprise. Although defects may not always be visible, tap on the wood and listen for abnormal sounds. And don't allow your good judgement to be overruled by a desire to make something from a pretty piece of wood.

I have a 3M Airstream and it is a rather substantial piece of equipment and not easily removed, I would imagine that removing it with the visor down would be even more interesting. I have been of the opinion that a standard visor -- even the best of them provides absolutely zero protection for anything other than eye protection against small flying particles such as pieces of bark, but certainly no protection against anything over a few ounces.

Burls are always a risk. Ironically, the airstream, with the whoosh in your ears, may have contributed to the mishap by masking the tell-tale clicks or changes in resonance that warn us to stop, seek and secure gaps or cracks. At least it helped you out by spreading the load a bit. Poor trade that it was.

thanks for sharing, glad you are fortunate

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Thanks for sharing your experience, and I'm glad you're ok.

Your protective gear did what it was supposed to do, minimize the damage to your head.

I have long been frustrated by the "just stay out of the line of fire" pundits. They don't account for ricocheting pieces, broken glass from light bulbs, thrown tool handles, etc.

Many of us who ride motorcycles always wear protective gear... it doesn't matter if were out for a short ride or a long adventure. You can't predict when an accident will occur. We call it ATGATT... All The Gear, All The Time.

In my shop, it's simple... the lathe doesn't get turned on unless I am wearing my protective gear (3M Airstream or BreatheEasy)

ATGATT!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Burls are always a risk. Ironically, the airstream, with the whoosh in your ears, may have contributed to the mishap by masking the tell-tale clicks or changes in resonance that warn us to stop, seek and secure gaps or cracks. At least it helped you out by spreading the load a bit. Poor trade that it was.

Actually the ears are outside the helmet and the air mainly exits through the holes in the Tyvek seal around the neck. You do hear the sound of the motor, but it does not mask much of anything in my experience probably the whirring sound is different and in a different frequency range than typical sounds indicating a failure in the wood integrity.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
George,
Thanks for sharing your story.

Wood can have hidden defects.
Sometimes we detect and anticipate them other times we can't or don't.

Fortunately you were prepared for such an event.
The face shield and good quality helmet did its job.

The best practice is to treat each piece as if it has a defect.

Small pieces can be dangerous too
I witnessed a serious injury from a 3x3x5 block
A face Sheild would have saved the day

Last edited:
Actually the ears are outside the helmet and the air mainly exits through the holes in the Tyvek seal around the neck. You do hear the sound of the motor, but it does not mask much of anything in my experience probably the whirring sound is different and in a different frequency range than typical sounds indicating a failure in the wood integrity.

I have to agree with Bill, I am able to hear changes when splits start developing or a piece starts coming out of round. As this was not hollowed and quite dense and the cut at the tenon producing only wisps of shavings it is possible there was not a change in sound until separation occurred.

Back