• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

blind woodturner

I saw a post on this forum in December by a blind woodturner. He said that AAW was working on a tutorial or program to teach blind people woodturning. I have a grandson that is blind in one eye and very challenged to see out of the other eye. Has anything been put together for such a program?

I saw a post on this forum in December by a blind woodturner. He said that AAW was working on a tutorial or program to teach blind people woodturning. I have a grandson that is blind in one eye and very challenged to see out of the other eye. Has anything been put together for such a program?

Rod, yes, the AAW is working on a tutorial for teaching woodturners how to teach blind people to use the lathe. The program is not finished yet, though. Dennis DeVendra and others are working on the manual. For more information, contact Linda Ferber in the home office: linda@woodturner.org. The April issue of American Woodturner will carry a story about the program, and eventually the manual will be available later this year on AAW's website in the Members' area.

There will be a panel discussion at the Tampa symposium titled "Turning With Challenges," which will discuss AAW's program, as well as other possibilities for turners with disabilities.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

This has been a rewarding program and we are working on the edits at this time. We expect to have the video and manual completed in June. The program will be posted on the website, links will be included in the "Keep Turning with AAW" email.

Linda Ferber
AAW Program Director

blind woodturning

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to working with my grandson so that he can do some woodturning.

Website
jacques-gouillet-tourneur-sur-bois.com
Woodturning for blind.

First,i beg your pardon for my very bad english.
I am woodturner in France since 1999.Unfortunatly i lost an eye in Indonésia vhen i was 12years old.But it does'nt matter.Now a day i am 65 and beginning the end of my life i spend my time by woodturning.
I'm very fond of ornemental turning inspired by François Barreau.
If you wish so,you can have a look to my website and so that appreciate what is possible to turn with one eye only.
http://jacques-gouillet-tourneur-sur-bois.com

Greatings.

Jacques Gouillet.
France.

I am woodturner in France since 1999.Unfortunatly i lost an eye in Indonésia vhen i was 12years old.But it does'nt matter.Now a day i am 65 and beginning the end of my life i spend my time by woodturning.
If you wish so,you can have a look to my website and so that appreciate what is possible to turn with one eye only.

Greatings.

Jacques Gouillet.
France.

Bonjour Jacques,
Your work is amazing! Thank you for providing the link to your website.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

I am just curious here - are we talking *blind*? Can't see at all? If so, that is amazing that someone could figure out a way for a blind person to do this. But the first thing that jumps out at me is safety - wouldn't it be a bit dangerous for a person that cannot see to be in the area of a spinning chunk of wood?

Clearly I am missing something here..

Website
jacques-gouillet-tourneur-sur-bois.com
En réponse à Mickael.

Bonjour à tous.
Pour répondre à Mickael,je ne suis pas complètement aveugle,mais n'ai qu'un oeil,ce qui pose le problème de l'absence de vision binoculaire.
Chaque tournage commencé est un défi contre le mauvais sort de la vie.Mais demeure la volonté d'arriver au bout du projet.
Par contre,il est vrai que le danger subsiste,et régulièrement je fait un stage à l'hopital pour avoir passé les doigts dans le tour par manque d'appréciation des distances.Mais c'est le prix à payer pour effacer les mauvais souvenirs et faire aussi bien que les autres.

Désolé de vous écrire en français,mais mais c'est plus facile pour moi d'exprimer mes sentiments de cette façon.

Cordialement à tous.
Jacques.

Website
groups.yahoo.com
I translated this with Bing translation.

Hi all.
To meet Maxwell, I'm not completely blind, but have only one eye, the problem of the lack of binocular vision.
Each started filming is a challenge against the evil spell of life.But still the desire to arrive at the end of the project.
On the other hand, it is true that the danger remains, and regularly I interned at the hospital for having passed the fingers in the tour due to lack of appreciation of the distances.But it is the price to pay to erase the bad memories and do as well as others.

Sorry you write in French, but it is easier for me to express my feelings in this way.

Best regards to all.
Jacques.

Website
groups.yahoo.com

Greatings.

Jacques Gouillet.
France.

I found out you can translate his website using.
http://translate.google.com/transla...ttp://jacques-gouillet-tourneur-sur-bois.com/

Translation

Jeff, your Bing translator garbles some of Jacques' message. My version:

Hello everyone,

To reply to Michael, I am not completely blind, but have only one eye, which creates a problem due to the lack of binocular vision.
Each time I begin a turning I am challenged by this evil twist of fate. But the desire to finish the project remains.
On the other hand it is true that it is dangerous, and I regularly end up paying visits to the hospital from running my hands into the lathe for lack of distance appreciation. But that's the price I pay in order to erase the bad memories and to do as well as other people.

Apologies for writing to you in French, but it's easier for me to express myself in this manner.

------------

Jacques, c'est un travail vraiment exceptionnel. Merci.
MZ

Last edited:
Puget Sound Woodurners

This has always fascinated me. And when someone comes into my shop and whines, "I can't, I can't, I can't" I point to these sight-challenged people who find a way.

In teaching woodturning, I have long advocated that the senses of hearing (that is, listening to the tool, machine, and wood together) and feel are just as important as sight. When I do hollow forms I don't look up into the vessel at all, and I often touch the art piece when I'm turning with the machine on to detect what is going on.

In fact, if there is a blind person in the Western Puget Sound region who'd like to become a woodturner, I will gladly give them lessons.

Website
www.mnwoodturners.org
George Wurtzel -- Minnesota Woodturners Association

This has always fascinated me. And when someone comes into my shop and whines, "I can't, I can't, I can't" I point to these sight-challenged people who find a way.

In teaching woodturning, I have long advocated that the senses of hearing (that is, listening to the tool, machine, and wood together) and feel are just as important as sight. When I do hollow forms I don't look up into the vessel at all, and I often touch the art piece when I'm turning with the machine on to detect what is going on.

In fact, if there is a blind person in the Western Puget Sound region who'd like to become a woodturner, I will gladly give them lessons.

George Wurtzel, my good friend here in Minneapolis, is a master woodworker/woodturner, and BTW, he is totally blind. George joined our Minnesota woodturning chapter club about two years ago, after moving here from Michigan, where he was legendary. (He has quickly acquired the same legendary status here, as well!) George never allows himself to say: "I can't do that."
In his 62 years he has taught himself to do many things, including entrepreneurial businessman, designer, engineer, artist, woodworker, teacher, animal trainer, U.S. expedition ski team member, and many more seemingly impossible tasks for a blind person, as would be traditionally viewed by the (non-blind) society.

George has just taken on a large renovation project in downtown San Francisco where he is supervising the design & construction of three floors of a large office building on Market street. When he checked on the freight costs to ship all his major power tools to California from Minneapolis to do the project, the cost was exceedingly high. So, George bought his first ever truck, a good, low milage used truck with a hydraulic Tommy Gate. He loaded up all his required tools and with a friend to do the driving -- George hasn't quite mastered freeway driving yet -- headed west for CA. Just prior to leaving, George flew to Kansas City for a week to instruct another blind person, who wanted to how learn how to be useful and do woodworking. George has taught many sighted and blind persons, both young and old, in Minneapolis and I have come to believe and observe that George, as a blind instructor, has increased effectiveness with a blind student, compared to a sighted instructor. Proof of this, I think, is found on George's website where he has posted examples of his blind student's woodworking projects and their exhilaration on having accomplished making these items. Click on George's website: http://www.gmwurtzel.com and you will be amazed at all of his lifetime accomplishments and it can be an antidote for whenever you or someone you know says, "I can't do that".

Lee Tourtelotte
Minnesota Woodturners

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
George is amazing. I taught a class in Minneapolis a year or so ago and George was there. He walked in the classroom and said I need the lathe with the best lighting. He's funny, really intelligent, and highly skilled. We turned hand mirrors and at the end of the day they asked to see how I turn my offcenter pendants. I showed them and of course George touched and took it all in. Then next night we had dinner and George brought some pendants in he had made that morning. Spectacular. what really impressed me most was there wasn't a single sanding line on the pendants. Most beginning turners always have sanding marks.
I was also doing a demo in Illiinois and a couple came in after the demo started and sat in the back. I noticed he had a cane. During lunch I sat with them and found out that he was totally blind and was a very good turner. so it can be learned. I've known several turners with only one eye. My wife's sisters husband just lost an eye to do a detached retina. He was a construction foreman most of his life and still does wood working. He said there was a learning curve to get past the stereo vision thing but didn't take too long.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef

Greatings.

Jacques Gouillet.
France.

Jacques,

Your work is stunningly beautiful and unique.

Website
www.mnwoodturners.org
Website Virus Threat Present

A Warning:-- I just clicked on Jacques website above and as soon as I clicked on his "Gallery" tab, a malware virus attempted to take control of my iMac computer.
Not Fun, But I WAS ABLE OVER THE PAST FEW MINUTES TO PURGE THE ATTEMPTED TAKEOVER, …. THOUGHT OTHERS SHOULD BE WARNED OF THIS POTENTIAL THREAT.

Lee Tourtelotte

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Thanks Lee.

I went there but no problems other than the browser trying to translate. I'm running Chrome on Win 7.

Back