• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spalted pecan and brass

Here is a set of "prickers" I made for a friend. First of all, prickers are similar to a marling spike for knot work, but are smaller and have handles. Naturally they are for working smaller line, sewing tasks, leather work, etc. The spalted pecan came from another friends house and i processed seveal rounds down to billits before finding such exquisit spalting.

2013-01-31234351_zps265e5cba.jpg

2013-01-31233339_zps922c897b.jpg

This shot gives the scale. Tru-Oil/Armorall finish method, 20+ coats.

2013-01-31123846.jpg

I am a rigger and have used tools such as this for years, but my friend is a stage rigger (not boat rigger like me) and had never seen tools like these before. He was ecstatic to see the finished project!

-Xander

Xander,

Gorgeous tools. Makes my Myerchin spike look a bit lame...... I was in awe of some of the riggers I met years ago when I worked at a boat yard.

Thanks for sharing. A lucky friend you have......

Rich

Back