• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

three phase tools

At an auction, I saw a new.very little used powermatic lathe that was three phase. I am not an electrician so I know nothing of this type of machine workings. Will that work in a regular shop with 220 capabilities? Why would I bid on it? I told you I know nothing of three phase so don't laugh.

my mistake

I see that powermatic makes the 3 phase also in that lathe for 3 phase systems. It must have been more industrial. I see that it won't work for me. Sorry for my stupidity. Gary

Gary,

If the price-is-right on the lathe, you can get a phase converter to run it on your home system. A phase converter for that lathe (1-3hp) should not cost you more than $300, and may be much less if you shop around.

Don't give up so easy.;)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Most homes don't have access to 3 phase power so you would need some sort of converter. there are plans on the web for using an additional motor to create the 3 leg for 3 phase power. My neighbor does that with his metal working machines.
As Mark said you can buy Variable Frequency Drives that will convert single phase into 3 phase and give you variable speed as well. These are nice but you would need someone who really knows these things to know which one to buy to match your motor and set up all the parameters.
I've passed up some really good deals on 3 phase equipment. Not because of the 3 phase but the machines were so massive they would not fit in my shop. I cried when I had to pass up the 20" metal cutting bandsaw but it had a huge footprint and would have had to be tilted just to get it under my garage doors.

As Mark said you can buy Variable Frequency Drives that will convert single phase into 3 phase and give you variable speed as well. These are nice but you would need someone who really knows these things to know which one to buy to match your motor and set up all the parameters.

John,

While Gary didn't mention the PM model, if it's a 3520 , it's already got variable speed. All Gary needs is a phase converter rather than a new VFD. Converters are simple plug and play deals where he puts his 2-phase 220 into the box and it supplies 3-phase to the lathe as it sits. I've seen converters on ebay for a smige over $100 and Grainger seels them new for $300 or so.

Sorry to hear about you DoAll miss. Serious ARGH!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Are you folks overlooking some obvious (to me) possibilities? Gary, the motors on all of the large variable speed lathes are three phase. The inverter converts the output power to PWM pseudo three phase to drive the motor. Depending on the inverter, itay be compatible with single phase, three phase, or both. If Mark means using a mechanical phase converter, I would concur only if it is really needed AND if the cost is less than changing inverters. I he means solid state phase converter, I would disagree.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mark If it's a 3520 it has a converter and runs on single phase, unless the power supply is missing. Probably it's one of the old High school shop lathes. Many of those were 3 phase only. We have one of those in the shop where we hold our club meetings.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Just to clarify my earlier post:

itay = it may
I = if (sometimes depending upon which makes more sense).

I am using an iPhone as my web browser and typing with fat fingers while out of town visiting my parents. My mom is seriously ill in the hospital.

Last edited:
Back