• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

quick change buffing wheels

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to make a quick-change system for swapping out buffing wheels? If so, can you point me in the right direction?

I'm thinking it might work to have a Jacobs Chuck holding a magnetic hex bit holder, and each buffing wheel has a hex shank (from a cheap drill bit set). But, there is a bit of slop between my shanks and the holder - not sure how much of a problem that could create...

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Lee

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just use the Don Pencil extension bar that threads on the lathe spindle and has a thread for the buffing wheels. All of wheels have mandrels so it's just a matter of putting the lathe in reverse, pull of the old wheel, put lathe in forward and the new one is on is seconds.

I just use the Don Pencil extension bar that threads on the lathe spindle and has a thread for the buffing wheels. All of wheels have mandrels so it's just a matter of putting the lathe in reverse, pull of the old wheel, put lathe in forward and the new one is on is seconds.

I use the same set-up, it's quick and easy.

Ditto - Don Pencil Extension Bar

I use the same set-up, it's quick and easy.

Ditto - Don Pencil Extension Bar is a great system, easy and quick.

I store mine in a drawer right behind the lathe so it's right there all the time. Convenience adds to it's ease of use.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

Attachments

• buffing station (2).jpg
    buffing station (2).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 27
Here is my system. You can change out the wheels in a few seconds.
2uqdsid.jpg

34fbmrm.jpg

zvecs6.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Here is my system. You can change out the wheels in a few seconds.

Marvin.......That's terrific, and very ingenious. It's an inspiration to see others use their creative instincts, rather than to just buy stuff.

It's not really apparent from the photos, but how did you attach your buffing arbor to the spindle?

ooc

The wood is threaded to fit the headstock. This is an older version, on version 2, I turned the shaft so that I could force a piece of PVC pipe on o the wood. The PVC pipe provides a lot more strength to the piece of maple.

It is not totally my idea, I saw a similar set up used on a motor shaft, so I made some like it to fit the threads on my lathes. I have also them made for disc sanders and various specialty mandrels. Saves a bundle on tooling costs.

Back