• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

radiant heaters

My garage is "Ohio Cold" now. I purchased an oil-filled floor heater to put near my lathe, but it is useless. Is a radiant heater better? Even though I have a dust collection system, I'm concerned about dust and/or vapors from finishes causing problems with a radiant heater unit. I would like suggestions to heat my small area to at least make it semi-comfortable and safe.

I use a couple of forced air ceramic heaters in my garage. Since I keep the area vac'd and blow out the units with air as part of my "close-down" routine, they have been fine.

That said, I do not allow a concentration of solvents to build in the space, not because of the heaters, but rather to protect the pair of 'air cleaners' I carry around in my chest. ;)

PS: I thought about putting pleated filters on the intake sides but was cautioned against that because the filters would reduce the airflow and cause the units to overheat, creating a significant fire hazard.

Last edited:
Try Northern Ontario COLD -30 Celcius this morning My shop is 16 X24 and is heated with a pellet stove when I installed it I put in a vent kit that draws its compustion air from outside so the combustion is closed to the shop area. at $6.00 / bag for pellets I can heat it for 3 days at about 8 Hours per day and it takes about 2 hours to get up to a nice working temp. goto go light the stove

You might consider the McDonalds approach. IR bulbs keep the fries warm without heating the stainless too much. They're no more dangerous in dusty environments than other incandescents , but you'll notice a considerable difference in how they warm you. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=heat lamp fixture&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:heat lamp fixture

Rather than just you, the forced-air types will spread the heat around. This is probably better for the equipment, because the warm moist exhalations won't cause them to sweat and corrode. No free lunch, though. They are definitely a bigger combustion risk. While running, they'll stay pretty clean, but a dustoff before starting would certainly be a good idea.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use Kerosene and propane heaters. I move around too much so radiant heaters just didn't work for me, I have to heat the room and the machines to make it comfortable.
I have never had a problem with dust. When I spray I open the door and spray out the door. One time a wind came up and blew the spray back in the shop. That made me nervous. Nothing happened but you can bet I won't do that again. When I really need to spray I simply turn the heaters off for a few minutes while I spray and let the fumes move out.

John I used both kerosene and propane in the past but I fould it put to much moisture in the air the windows sweet and everything that could rust did even the saw bldes hanging on the wall. do you not experiance the same issue. Since I put in the pellet stove rust is not longer a problem

Heater? What's that?

For the benefit of those of us in Arizona, would you mind explaining the concept of a "heater"?

Just kidding. For Christmas we bought my parents (who live in Utah) a radiant heater from Costco. It's highly directional and puts out a ton of heat -- assuming you've got it aimed in the right direction. I used it last week when visiting my folks and it would do a fine job of warming someone standing at the lathe. Kept me warm while I was working on my father's truck in their unheated garage.

Here's a link to the heater: http://www.costco.com/Presto®-HeatDish®-Plus-Parabolic-Heater.product.11619443.html

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don' t notice any more rust problems than I do the rest of the year. Of course here in Tennessee we probably have more humidity in the summer than these heaters will ever put in during the winter. I'm saving my money for one of those combo heat/air units like they have in hotel rooms. I think that would solve a lot of my problems both summer and winter. Of course I can't do that until I run a much larger 220 line to the shop.

I have a 20 by 20 shop that uses an electric furnace to heat. I use washable filters and clean them every week or so. They do collect a lot of dust but if you keep them clean you should have little trouble. I don't do a lot of finishing there but with ventilation, I have little fumes. I do not use lacquers or strong vapor materials.
I have been in my shop for 6 years and yet to have the slightest problem.Gary P S. I also use a window air conditioner but keep it covered with filters also. I have to keep them clean more often for it is closer to my working area.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A latitude gloat.
Enjoyed your stories
Were having our coldest day of the year 51 now at 1:13 brrrr :)

You all just have too much latitude.
Be safe
Al

Yep, it's really cold here too, Al. So cold in fact that I even considered putting on a shirt this afternoon while I had my lathe rolled outdoors in the bright sunshine. These nippy sixty degree days are almost too cold to be working outdoors. :cool2:

Website
www.tri-colorturners.com
I have two electric/oil radiant heaters that I got on clearance one year from HD. I use one in a 10' x 12' insulated space and one in a 9' x 11' space that is not insulated. It doesn't take long in the insulated space before I have to turn it down or off. However, the other just takes the bite out of the air. I use this type because there aren't heating elements exposed to the dust. No problems after six years.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/145/a9/a9f0a945-1ee7-4954-9085-26334950bce9_145.jpg

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When I first move into this new shop I bought a couple of the oil filled radiant heaters All I can say is your must be different than mine. Mine put out so little heat they didn't eve work well in the heated house, much less the shop. I gave them away.

Shop Heater

I have 24 by 32 2 story well insulated Shop. I heat the bottom floor with a 75,000 BTU forced air Propane heater, installed 4 vents in the 2nd story floor keeps most of the heat on the first floor but also keeps the top floor above 55 degrees on a really cold day. Works great and have never had any issues, I only run the Heater when I'm in the shop. Fill the 100 gallon Propane tank 2 times a year. I also keep the shop clean with air cleaners vacuums and a 3hp Laguna Dust collection system with ports for all the major tools, if a tool is running the dust collector port for that tool is open, no exceptions except for the 3 lathes dust collection for the lathes is only used when sanding.
Here's a link to the type heater I use, although it is smaller than the one I have installed. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577748_200577748

Doug

Good luck as there are a lot of options. What utilities do you have or have access to? I found that I had a natural gas line in my front yard. I checked on converting and it was going to cost about $4K! I did buy a small heater at our local Aldi's store; looks like an old wood stove. It's electric with a blower, thermostat and "fireplace" background. It heats the upstairs so the heat pump doesn't come on all day.

Website
www.tri-colorturners.com
When I first move into this new shop I bought a couple of the oil filled radiant heaters All I can say is your must be different than mine. Mine put out so little heat they didn't eve work well in the heated house, much less the shop. I gave them away.

John,

I had one for the house and it started leaking oil not too long after we bought it. We had to dump it soon after. Perhaps the clearance year was a good one for oil/electric:)

thanks so much to all of you taking the time to respond about the heating. you each gave me great information and I will follow up right away checking out the links/information.
thanks again
jerry

To all of us with "too much latitude"--Al and Bill just invited us down to spend a couple weeks with them. What's for dinner, guys?

(North Dakota State Motto: 30 below keeps out the riff raff :D )

To all of us with "too much latitude"--Al and Bill just invited us down to spend a couple weeks with them. What's for dinner, guys?

(North Dakota State Motto: 30 below keeps out the riff raff :D )

I thought the AF had just taken over the state motto. "Only The Best Come North." 5th BW hosted me for a couple years.

Attachments

• 23 BMS002.jpg
    23 BMS002.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 005bw-3.gif
    005bw-3.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 23

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
To all of us with "too much latitude"--Al and Bill just invited us down to spend a couple weeks with them. What's for dinner, guys?.....

We'll be meeting at Al's place. He will be cooking the gator and I'll bring the rattlesnake and maybe a couple possums if they will take them in the checked baggage. Bring your own side dishes. Suggestion -- poke salad goes well with any of the above mentioned entrees. Bring plenty of paper towels -- possum fat is pretty sticky.

Neat Heat

For the past 25 years or so I have used a 4 foot electric radiant heater in my garage shop, typical 2 car size, has a variable controller, 220 volt. Purchased from TPI Corp. Johnson City, Tn. 1-800-682-3398. Made by Fostoria Industries, 1-800-495-4525. It is mounted in the corner of the ceiling and wall, about 8 ft. hi, facing the overhead door.
The advantages are, radiant heats the objects, not the air, tools are nice and warm, floor, etc. wonderful on the back also. No dust from air movement, no noise, very little warm up time, also very inexpensive to operate. Replacement heat tubes are changed like a flourescent light bulb. NO maintenance other than occassional dusting off. I highly reccomend and suggest you look into this method of heating your shop. :D Clint Merrill

Back