• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cutting down a cherry tree

I'm about to cut down a cherry tree. The upper part has some large holes (4" diameter and 4" deep +/-), I assume from a woodpecker. I convinced my better half that we will lose the tree anyway so i should cut it down. It is about 18" diameter at the widest and maybe 30-40' tall. I have several other cherry trees nearby that are dead, some standing. This one still seems to be in good condition. I turn bowls and hollow forms. I don't expect to use it all and will give some away.
My questions are-Once I cut it down how do I store it? Indoors? Outdoors? I will be using it over the next year or so. I have a unheated barn but cant move heavy lengths. How long can I leave it outdoors. Does cherry spalt? Should I wait till the spring?
Any other suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Best to cut in the winter. The bark is tight then and also less likely to check. Also it is easier to make a natural edge bowl from wood cut during the winter.
I have a cherry in my yard and only cut half of it at first and made bowls; the tree has sprouted new leaves. I have since taken 4 foot sections off the tree and made more bowls. I had to discard about 3 inches on the previously
cut areas. Thus there is no urgency to turn and little lost wood.

Well, first, I hope you know how to drop trees. If not, go to You Tube and type in tree falling accidents.

Second, the wood keeps best growing on the stump. If you are going to cut it, you want to process it ASAP. This might involve getting some friends together so it can be done quickly.

I would put it in the barn. I would at least cut it into half rounds, and seal the ends. I would stack it off direct dirt, and prefer heavy duty vynal tarps like they make outdoor signs or awnings from, and some times you can find them cheap on Craigs List, or find the business that makes them and find out who puts them up/down and contact that person for getting the 'used' ones. I stack them on end on the tarp. Cut over sized, so for 18 inch diameter, cut 20 to 24 inch long. Seal the ends. Totally cover the pile, sides, top, and bottom. The sooner you turn it, the better it looks.

robo hippy

Having just done this with 4 cherry trees, the answer is that you you want to leave it in as large of a form factor as you can move until you are ready to use it. If you can move a 10' section, make it 10'. If only 6', make it 6'.

I cut mine into logs that fit my pick-up bed. (7') The trees had blown over, which presents a different set of ways you can kill yourself vs. dropping a standing tree. If you have friends that know what they are doing, invite them and don't worry about how much wood it will cost you. You cannot turn it all.

My logs sit on the ground, and when I am ready to use them, I cut the ends away to get to the unchecked parts and then I turn whatever I cut to whatever stage it needs to be turned. I have 150 bowls in lawn leaf bags for the spring time, and 3 logs left to go before I get the other 2 ...trees.

Robert

It looks like your question are being answered except, Does Cherry Spalt? Yes but it is not nice. It looks like a white mold not pretty dark lines as in maple, etc. You got a couple years tops to get the tree processed.

With a tree that size it may be helpful to you to have some it sawn into 8, 10 or 12 quarter thickness. Stack it in that barn you mentioned and then turn big shallow bowls and platters from the sawn wood. Or maybe sell or trade to cover cost of sawing.

Enjoy

A tree grows in Brooklyn! Didn't someone write a book about that? Wish I was closer and could get some of it.

Can you just cut it down and leave it there and just cut off pieces as you need them?

Less cuts = More usable blanks

Back