• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

pen kits

hello everyone, i am rather new to the forum, i am intersted in turning pens
i have a mini lathe i am trying to find the place to buypen kits and componets
in bulk at a great price, any suggestions?

thanks,henry

I have sent pen state 6 emails and never had a reply so i use Craft Suplies USA in Provo Uta their service and comunication is exelent and their pricing fear.

Cheers Ian

You may join your local woodturning club (or may already be a member) and they often purchase pen kits in bulk for the club, providing a very substantial savings.

Penn state Ind (PSI)

At times I find their quality lacking. For example, I bought a bunch of cheese planes. There were 6-7 after I had already finished the project that the metal was rough (had to sand to ? 600-800.)
Their new hem/stitch rippers had many problems with the spring that the working end fit into, (loosened). They got that fixed now. However, after they changed the design and I ordered 10 more they sent to old kind and had to send back (again!!)
I make alot of magnifying glass/paper weights. (The turner adds the wooden "button"). Craft supply USA has a little larger diameter one, and 2 diopters. PSI has a smaller one, cheaper, and 2.5 diopters. I like them because I have some nice wood but is too small for the larger diameter ones .
I bought 50 recently from PSI and had to send 23 back. The mag glass that swivels out on a hinge , doesn't come out horizontally and would hit the frame, another wouldn't even open. Another had such rough metal on the swivel I cut my finger on it.
This year I didn't have the trouble of anyone answering the phone as was a problem the year before . The tech people have been nice. Moral:inspect what you buy from them even though you may not be using them right away. Gretch

I use Woodturningz.com - great service and advice if you need it - shipments are fast and never had any problems

hello everyone, i am rather new to the forum, i am intersted in turning pens
i have a mini lathe i am trying to find the place to buypen kits and componets
in bulk at a great price, any suggestions?

thanks,henry

Hi, Henry :cool2:

I'm new to this forum, but a great resource for pen turning supplies, information, etc. is the International Association of Penturners website.

http://www.penturners.org/

Free to join, loads of good stuff, & really nice folks.

Scott

Back