• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

VB 36 or Serious SL2542

i'm interested in purchasing a heavy duty lathe and am curious if anyone has feedback about the Serious SL2542 Wood Lathe. i know the VB 36 is a well thought out and built machine, the Serious seems the same, and thoughts?

Well, it is kind of a long bed lathe vs a short bed lathe thing more than anything else. Bearings in the VB 36 are in an oil bath, but don't really know beyond that. I needed a sliding headstock. Robust (my preference), Oneway, and now the newer PM 4224 are all comparable.

robo hippy

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I was making a similar decision months ago, and also considered the VB36 as a possibility. My space is somewhat constrained, so longer-bed lathes were given somewhat lower priority (including the Oneway 2436), and I definitely wanted a sliding headstock. I saw the new Jet 4224 at the AAW Symposium in San Jose earlier this year, and added it to the list of possibilities when finally taking the plunge and buying a top-end lathe.

Ultimately, I decided on the 'standard' Robust American Beauty, 3 HP, with all of the bells and whistles (including the excellent Tilt-Away), and I could not be happier. It is really a joy to use (I turned for several years and was also happy with the 2HP Jet 1642, which I am keeping for longer spindles, my Jamieson hollowing system, and other "lengthy" projects).

You should consider the Robust American Beauty in the list of top-end lathes being compared.

Rob Wallace

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
David
I've looked and played with both. For my needs the VB was too restrictive. The Serious is a good lathe, and it as heavy as one can imagine. My buy, between the two, would be the Serious.

That being said, if I was looking, my preference would be the American Beauty from Robust.

FYI, Serious is "local" for Robo, and he went with Robust.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The Serious seems like a fine machine from the pictures and review comments in Woodturning Design, but I have never seem one on the hoof. For me, the fixed headstock is a negative, but that is nothing more than personal preference.

I bought a Robust in 2011 and am thoroughly happy with it. The build quality is exceptional, Brent English provides superior product support, and I like both the sliding headstock and adjustable height.

I have also examined the Stubby lathe and talked to Bill Rubenstein during the latest SWAT symposium. It is an exceptional lathe and because of its unique design, a sliding headstock is not necessary for good access.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The VB36 is a nightmare-I wouldn't take a truckload of them in exchange for my Stubby, or a Robust. It would be hard to go wrong with the Robust suggestion-a very good lathe with a fine man/small American business supporting it.

John

David
I've looked and played with both. For my needs the VB was too restrictive. The Serious is a good lathe, and it as heavy as one can imagine. My buy, between the two, would be the Serious.

That being said, if I was looking, my preference would be the American Beauty from Robust.

FYI, Serious is "local" for Robo, and he went with Robust.

I'd be interested in hearing a little elaboration on why you two wouldn't have a VB36. I'm not interested in buying one, but just curious about the perceived drawbacks.......if you please.

ooc

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Odie, it has to due with the nature of the beast.
It works great for bowls and hollow-forms, but it's really a rough lathe to do anything between centers.

Website
www.tobinhillturning.com
I will sound like a broken record here but I received my Robust American Beauty Long Bed in August. I have used many different lathes and there is nothing better than The AB. A joy to use. But the best part is that the company is owned by the nicest, down to earth couple that really wants your business. I cannot speak highly enough of Brent and Deb English. You really need give Robust a look. Stubby, Oneway, Serious, Vicmarc are all good machines and would not go wrong with any of them.

Alan

Last edited:
When I was looking to upgrade from my PM, I went to the Symposium in Portland. I did look at the VB36, because I mostly turn bowls. Sturdy as the proverbial brick out house, but no matter what configuration, it said 'bowl lathe'. I do turn other things. I didn't even consider the Oneway or Serious because of my preference for a sliding headstock. I like being able to stand straight up to turn bowls. Turning outboard is not an option in my shop because my lathe sits in a corner. None of the larger lathes have pivoting headstocks, which are a nice alternative to the sliding headstock, but they are not big enough, and you still need a floor mounted tool rest/banjo set up. PM did not have the newly updated big lathe, and with the some what minimal price difference, I would go with the Made in the USA tool whenever possible. I do like buying direct from the manufacturer, and if I have questions, I can call and talk to Brent, not some junior tech who has to read from a manual to figure out what you are talking about.

robo hippy

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
I'd be interested in hearing a little elaboration on why you two wouldn't have a VB36. I'm not interested in buying one, but just curious about the perceived drawbacks.......if you please.

ooc

There are many, but one very good one is its made entirely of proprietary parts. All the good lathes these days use standard off the shelf industrial parts-easy to maintain.
Its a very awkward and unnecessarily complicated lathe, and its reported to have a number of problems. Its hard to even turn the spindle by hand, and one has to have an adaptor to use a normal faceplate or chuck, and the tailstock costs extra, and without it, you only have half a lathe.

Other than that its not bad.

John

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I spent a weekend turning on a VB36. I hated the tool rest. There were other things I didn't like but can't remember what they were. It certainly wasn't lacking in power but then all the other lathes mentioned are fine power wise. When I first read your lathe choices I thought just like the others have said. Why not consider the Stubby or Robust. Of course since I'm really happy with my Powermatic 3520 I think I would really like the new 2442 Powermatic.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The VB and Serious appeal to small niche group.
I've turned on a VB and know a couple of turners who own one.
Never seen a Serious lathe outside of a trade show.

Most folks doing the large hollow forms use a ONEWAY or the Robust.

If you go with a ROBUST, ONEWAY, Stubby, Powermatic,
They will all have a strong resale market.
I find all of these lathes pleasant to turn on. What is important is which lathe do you find pleasant.

A ONEWAY 2416 with a 17" outboard makes a terrific bowl lathe
You rough between centers and have the stand in front of it bowl hollowing all set up.
You can even leave the chuck mounted on the outboard full time.
A second tool rest banjo is a must.

Have fun,
Al

Last edited:
VB36 and Serious Comparisons to Others...

All, I happen to be a lucky turner that owns both a VB36 and a Serious lathe. To start with, I bought the Serious many years after owning the VB. These are both terrific tools. That said, they are TOOLS. They are only as good as the turner that uses them, and for the purpose they are best designed for. The VB is a BOWL lathe. Does other things if you want, but primarily is a large BOWL lathe ! The Serious is a HEAVY, full bedded standard design super multipurpose lathe, with huge range and equal temperament regardless of the task it is assigned.
First, as to comparisons of the Serious to other lathes, like the Robust, the are not in the same ball park. The Serious is a REALLY heavy lathe, full bedded, large enough throw for most turners. The comparisons here are ONLY, in my opinion, to the largest Oneway. None of the others mentioned even compares in stability and weight. THOSE parameters translate into smooth and powerful turning ! I have turned on the Oneway, and I think the Serious is a better lathe and, especially, a better VALUE. Solid, Smooth, Powerful, Handles like a Ferrari, but not as temperamental ! I use the Serious ANYTIME my throw allows me inboard. I too, do not favor outboard turning...
As to the VB, obviously I go to it when I have a larger turning. I do have the large tailstock, set up to remove easily, on it's own set of wheels, using it when I can, removing it whenever it is not needed. I turn large (36" +) full Aussie burl caps on the VB. In stock configuration, I have had problems with overloading the "resistance measure" of the inverter and having stalls without jams. That said I am an aggressive turner, and roughing out large burls is an interesting process ! The VB has huge capability, is easy to use, but is antiquated by todays standards regarding it's electronics and controls. Once you accept that, it is a great lathe for what it was intended: LARGE BOWLS !
Some other notes: the VB36 MUST be bolted down to be used as a full out bowl lathe. The Serious can sit forever and never budge, even with out of round or off center work, unbolted, on its supper heavy frame. Cast iron is amazing for weight and vibration absorption and the Serious has it by 1300 or so pounds worth ! The Serious has built in HUGE retractable wheels, and can be rolled as needed in and out of work locations. For me, I can roll it out a shop door and turn outdoors in good weather! Very cool, given my Inland Northwest, and not California, Arizona, or Hawaii, location !
So all in all, let's try to not compare apples and oranges. I's advise a serious look (sorry) at your intended turning goals and then pick a machine that is best at that purpose. In my opinion, the Serious is the best normal bed, full size lathe out there, bar none, and the VB is a good, hard worker, but of value ONLY if you intend to turn huge pieces.
Money and bang for the buck ? Boy, have at it. All this big machines are costly, and my VB is "pre current market prices" and the look see at current is impressive ! Because of the size and weight of what I turn, I am in the process of converting my VB to 4HP, a new, less finicky, inverter and some updated electronic controls. I think I will be happy with it then, and it will be a monster. The Serious has got to be one of the best values out there for a full size lathe. As to owners of the company, I want to say you are buying a lathe, and it should run straight up, without needing service or questions to the owners ! None the less, I certainly appreciate the concept of down to earth, responsible owners of companies, and can easily say Tom and Scott at Serious meet that definition and more ! VB has most Stateside issues running through it's US distributor, who does a great job of helping with questions and spare parts and the like. Like I said, though, a lathe should be Plug and Play !
Again, all my opinion, but I have put my money where my mouth is!

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
All, I happen to be a lucky turner that owns both a VB36 and a Serious lathe. To start with, I bought the Serious many years after owning the VB. These are both terrific tools. That said, they are TOOLS. They are only as good as the turner that uses them, and for the purpose they are best designed for. The VB is a BOWL lathe. Does other things if you want, but primarily is a large BOWL lathe ! The Serious is a HEAVY, full bedded standard design super multipurpose lathe, with huge range and equal temperament regardless of the task it is assigned.
First, as to comparisons of the Serious to other lathes, like the Robust, the are not in the same ball park. The Serious is a REALLY heavy lathe, full bedded, large enough throw for most turners. The comparisons here are ONLY, in my opinion, to the largest Oneway. None of the others mentioned even compares in stability and weight. THOSE parameters translate into smooth and powerful turning ! I have turned on the Oneway, and I think the Serious is a better lathe and, especially, a better VALUE. Solid, Smooth, Powerful, Handles like a Ferrari, but not as temperamental ! I use the Serious ANYTIME my throw allows me inboard. I too, do not favor outboard turning...
As to the VB, obviously I go to it when I have a larger turning. I do have the large tailstock, set up to remove easily, on it's own set of wheels, using it when I can, removing it whenever it is not needed. I turn large (36" +) full Aussie burl caps on the VB. In stock configuration, I have had problems with overloading the "resistance measure" of the inverter and having stalls without jams. That said I am an aggressive turner, and roughing out large burls is an interesting process ! The VB has huge capability, is easy to use, but is antiquated by todays standards regarding it's electronics and controls. Once you accept that, it is a great lathe for what it was intended: LARGE BOWLS !
Some other notes: the VB36 MUST be bolted down to be used as a full out bowl lathe. The Serious can sit forever and never budge, even with out of round or off center work, unbolted, on its supper heavy frame. Cast iron is amazing for weight and vibration absorption and the Serious has it by 1300 or so pounds worth ! The Serious has built in HUGE retractable wheels, and can be rolled as needed in and out of work locations. For me, I can roll it out a shop door and turn outdoors in good weather! Very cool, given my Inland Northwest, and not California, Arizona, or Hawaii, location !
So all in all, let's try to not compare apples and oranges. I's advise a serious look (sorry) at your intended turning goals and then pick a machine that is best at that purpose. In my opinion, the Serious is the best normal bed, full size lathe out there, bar none, and the VB is a good, hard worker, but of value ONLY if you intend to turn huge pieces.
Money and bang for the buck ? Boy, have at it. All this big machines are costly, and my VB is "pre current market prices" and the look see at current is impressive ! Because of the size and weight of what I turn, I am in the process of converting my VB to 4HP, a new, less finicky, inverter and some updated electronic controls. I think I will be happy with it then, and it will be a monster. The Serious has got to be one of the best values out there for a full size lathe. As to owners of the company, I want to say you are buying a lathe, and it should run straight up, without needing service or questions to the owners ! None the less, I certainly appreciate the concept of down to earth, responsible owners of companies, and can easily say Tom and Scott at Serious meet that definition and more ! VB has most Stateside issues running through it's US distributor, who does a great job of helping with questions and spare parts and the like. Like I said, though, a lathe should be Plug and Play !
Again, all my opinion, but I have put my money where my mouth is!

Great review, CJ.........I'm sure you are in a very small minority who can comment/compare these two machines as an owner.

If you can, I would be very much interested in seeing your shop, and examples of your works.........thanks

ooc

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Granted , I have never turned on a VB or a Serious, (I have turned and demoed on about every other lathe out there) but I have owned 2 Oneways (a 2036 1.5HP and a 2436 3HP with the massive outboard) and liked the Robust so much, I became a dealer.

They indeed parallel each other, but I am more satisfied with the Robust. I really can't belittle the Oneway to force you into buying a Robust, They are both good products. You have to be comfortable with who you are buying the lathe from and the quality of the product. The dealer network for Robust is 2nd to none, all well known turners, pros and demonstrators (I would out myself at the bottom of that esteemed list) not just a store that can place a big enough order.

But for that much money, talk to users, turn on their lathes, get feedback from their experiences, and then decide. At this level, it isn't about the money, it is about the company, and customer service, in the rare event there might be a problem. I agree, the product should work, on installation, without issue. There shouldn't be a "we will make it right" mentality. It should just work from day 1. It is a decision you have to be %100 comfortable with. This isn't a decision to be made off of the internet. At least for me it hasn't been.

When you decide, let us know why, it would be good feedback.

Laguna Lathe

Does anyone have experience with the new Revo lathes from Laguna; they look a lot like Powermatics. Not sure about using servo motors; does anyone have experience using them?

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
For what it’s worth.

Being a turner who has owned a VB for more than five years, I read through this thread with some interest. I’ll just say that I’m happy with my lathe, but would probably be just as happy with several other large capacity machines. I have no affiliation with any lathe company.

I might be alone in my thinking, but it stuck me as inappropriate for the rep of one company to use this AAW sponsored forum to “bad-mouth†the product of a competitor. (“The VB36 is a nightmare-I wouldn't take a truckload of them in exchange for my Stubby, or a Robust.â€)

You'll love the Serious

Take a close look at the Serious lathe. I think you'll appreciate the attention to details that shows in its design and manufacture. For example, the tail stock quill operates as smoothly as a Swiss watch. The ram has a six inch throw, yet, because of the handle's size and gearing, it only takes a couple of turns to fully extend or retract the ram. Still, because it works so smoothly, it's easy to make very small and precise adjustments to the quill. Virtually everything about the lathe bespeaks similar attention to detail.

The most remarkable thing about the lathe is how smoothly it operates. When I first saw one, I rested my hand on the tailstock end of the lathe as I spoke with someone. My back was to the headstock. It wasn't until I turned around that I realized that the lathe was on -- spinning a large out of balance blank mounted on a face plate. My hand had detected no vibration. The lathe is that smooth. I don't know of any other lathe where I cannot tell whether the lathe is on or off by detecting at least some small vibration on the bed of the lathe.

Having sung its praises, let me say the lathe isn't perfect nor is it for everyone. I would prefer that its controls were mounted in the tailstock (or on a remote) rather than the headstock. The fixed headstock won't please those who's prefer a sliding headstock. For me, the only reason I've not bought one is the lathe's massive size. It won't fit into my shop. Once I expand my shop (something that's been on my list for a few years and may be on it for a few more years), I might buy a Serious lathe.

Last edited:

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
I don't believe he "Reps" for that company any more.

Thanks, Brian. We are no longer the importers, and he asked for an opinion about a specific lathe after all. And I certainly don't sell Robust lathes, which I believe is what I recommended. And I often recommend Jet and Powermatics and Oneways as well-it depends on one's needs. :) I suspect I have used more different lathes than most anyone around, and I'm not all that partial, but I do have some degree of credibility-and I explained a few of my reasons for not liking it-all factual.

I've been a member and participated on this forum since it started, and one would be hard pressed to find an instance of me promoting anything I may sell, or denigrating the products of another. But maybe someone thinks I'm not supposed to have an opinion.

John

Last edited:
Website
www.tahoeturner.com
John, please forgive me for jumping to such an inaccurate conclusion. I simply clicked on your website link under your name and clicked on the “Stubby†link at the top of your home page. It sure appeared as if you had some sort of relationship with the Stubby folks. As such, I felt it was inappropriate to be so harsh in your assessment of another company’s product. At the very least, I didn’t feel like this was an appropriate place for you, an AAW “Life Time Memberâ€, to express such a negative review.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
So I'm confused. Are we only supposed to put positive reviews on items if we get well known in woodturning. I think no matter who you are if you have a valid review either positive or negative you should be able to express it.
Now I will agree if you are a dealer you should be very careful if you degenerate other equipment. I don't think that shows your company to the best light. Good salesman discuss the virtues of their equipment rather than put down the competition.

That also means the Nick Cook can't tell us how much he likes the new Powermatic. He did design it but then he's a lifetime member also and as such I guess can't express an opinion.

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
John L., it was not my intent to make a major issue out of this, but to quote your posting, â€Now I will agree if you are a dealer you should be very careful if you degenerate other equipment.â€

Mr. Jordan’s website has a page that promotes the Stubby lathe. To quote from that page, “If you have any questions or would like to place an order, please contact Vicki or me.â€

I think my assumption that John J. was affiliated with the Stubby folks is pretty understandable.

Regarding your question about who should be able to express product opinions, I don’t have the answer. I know from my time on the board, that this has been discussed and it’s a very grey area. In the past, published AAW board member endorsements have been considered quite inappropriate.

I stand by my opinion expressed in my earlier post: “it stuck me as inappropriate for the rep of one company to use this AAW sponsored forum to “bad-mouth†the product of a competitor.â€

Perhaps one of the forum moderators has something to share with us.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
John, please forgive me for jumping to such an inaccurate conclusion. I simply clicked on your website link under your name and clicked on the “Stubby†link at the top of your home page. It sure appeared as if you had some sort of relationship with the Stubby folks. As such, I felt it was inappropriate to be so harsh in your assessment of another company’s product. At the very least, I didn’t feel like this was an appropriate place for you, an AAW “Life Time Memberâ€, to express such a negative review.

Give it a break, Malcolm.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Malcolm and John J, I get Malcolm's point, but at the same time I don't really think that John J was particularly bashing. There is sufficient room for misunderstanding because of John J's web site being well overdue for updating.

Give the other guy the benefit of the doubt and stop this nit picking at words. Comments hastily typed on Internet forums lack much of the essential ingredients found in face to face communications. If we try to presume what the other guy is thinking, we are almost always wrong.

We now resume our regularly scheduled programming.

I turned on a VB as I thought that was what I wanted. After using it for about 5 minutes I knew it was exactly what I didn't want. Due to the height of the spindle I would've had to build a platform around the lathe to stand on to be at a comfortable height and I'm 5'10. I ended up going with the lathe I really wasn't considering until I tried it out, the Stubby. Most comfortable lathe for me. Passed on a used VB that at the time was under $5k with all the goodies(about 6 years ago). It really looked nice and was a great deal but I wouldn't have been happy. Never had the opportunity to turn on a Serious and my small shop wouldn't hold it anyway.

odie

TOTW Team
I'm hoping everyone who posts here has the complete freedom to post their thoughts and opinions, without any restrictions of any kind. The "rules", as MT speaks of and feels should apply, only serve to inhibit that freedom, and prohibit free flow of information......

Thanks to John J for responding to my request for specific details regarding his opinion of the VB36.......glad he didn't feel his opinion should be restricted.

ooc

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I turned on a VB as I thought that was what I wanted. After using it for about 5 minutes I knew it was exactly what I didn't want. Due to the height of the spindle I would've had to build a platform around the lathe to stand on to be at a comfortable height and I'm 5'10. I ended up going with the lathe I really wasn't considering until I tried it out, the Stubby. Most comfortable lathe for me. Passed on a used VB that at the time was under $5k with all the goodies(about 6 years ago). It really looked nice and was a great deal but I wouldn't have been happy. Never had the opportunity to turn on a Serious and my small shop wouldn't hold it anyway.

Test driving a lathe is about the best advice given.
We all have different needs, expectations, and place different values on features.

The AAW symposium is a great place to compare.
Most lathe companies can put you in touch with an owner who would let you turn on their machine.
Maybe a club member owns a lathe you are instead in.

What xxx likes may not be what you like

Have a happy and safe new year!
Al

Last edited:
Lathes are like cars, most people like the good ones. I wouldn't trade any of them for my long bed Austrailian Vicmarc VL 300. Sweet machine.

Lathes are like cars, most people like the good ones. I wouldn't trade any of them for my long bed Austrailian Vicmarc VL 300. Sweet machine.

Ok
Now that the VL 300 long bed has been mentioned, I'll be updating my lathe (a general 26020vs) probably within the next six months.
I've been granted permission from my other half to spend enough money to buy a new A.B. but lets all be real here, thats a lot of money that could be used elsewhere in life.
So that being said I have a lead an a lightly used VL300 long bed with the 3hp motor along with a VL100 4 chucks (Vicmark) the Oval chuck all his turning tools accessories etc. etc. for less than the cost of an American Beauty.
If any of you had this choice which way would you go, and if there are any drawbacks with the VL300 I would dearly like to know before I do make a decision.
My plans are to eventually buy a second smaller lathe as well so this deal does apeal to me.
P.S. he wishes to sell all as one deal.

John

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Alan Lacer did a program at our club using an oval chuck. While the idea is very interesting, using them and getting good results is not as simple and straightforward as one might expect. Besides all that, I think that I would personally get tired of oval bowls after about a dozen or so.

I am afraid that I can't help with the Vicmarc lathe as I know very little about them. I have a Robust AB and you can have it when you pry it out of my cold dead hands. :D

Ok
... I have a lead an a lightly used VL300 long bed with the 3hp motor along with a VL100 4 chucks (Vicmark) the Oval chuck all his turning tools accessories etc. etc. for less than the cost of an American Beauty.
If any of you had this choice which way would you go[?]...

I'd jump on the deal. A VL300 is a top quality lathe. Very well made and very durable. Your creative vision won't be limited by the capabilities of your lathe. It's not a lathe you're apt to outgrow.

Might another lathe suit you better? It's possible. The VL300 has a fixed headstock. Some people strong prefer sliding headstocks so they can shorten the bed for bowl turning. Others are into turning massive, out of balance blanks. The VL300 is a strong stable lathe and can handle this type of work, but it's not as large and stable as the Serious lathe, nor does it handle this type of work as well. Still others want to turn very large bowls -- much larger than can be accommodated with the VL300's 24" swing. These turners may prefer the VB 36 (or they might be satisfied with the VL300's more than 40" swing when turning outboard). Point being, there's no lathe that's perfect for everyone.

So, if the lathe suits your style of turning, it's a great buy that includes another, smaller, high quality lathe, several chucks, and a boat load of other stuff.

As to a lot of the extras that are included such as the oval chuck and even the extra chucks and turning tools themselves I really don't need them as I already have 6 Nova chucks with the full range of Nova jaws, and most all the turning tools I need so I'll be looking at selling most of these items off if I do go for this deal.
Does / would that change opinions?

John

I had a steel bed lathe and just did not want another one so I was looking for a cast iron lathe. I did not want a lathe that had a moving headstock so the PM was out. The vicmarc seemed to be what I was looking for. After looking at the bearings that each lathe has I decided that the Vicmarc had better bearings than any other lathe for my purpose. Babbitt like the VB has can support more weight but that type of bearing needs the oil to be within a small tempature range for the oil wedge to form properly and I swing the tempature in my shop too much so that was out.
Be advised the Vicmarc lathes are not cheep and I could have bought an oneway or Ab for about the same price. I did state I have an Australian version and it weights right at 1000 pounds. Tapered roller bearings, nothing better out there in my opinion. I make a living operating large turbines and auxiliary equiptmemt.
All that said it was the lathe for me, I made the right choice for me. There are a lot of good lathes out there so think about what you really want in one then decide for yourself. Don't just buy one because its in fashion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Freddie If you don't mind my asking, what did you not like about steel bed lathes? I've never owned one and would like to know.

To me they just have a different feel, I'm not saying they aren't as good but to me they don't have the feel of a quality cast iron woodworking tool and I just don't believe all the stuff about a weldment dampening vibration like cast iron. Just think about how many machine lathes are made from a weldment..... None that I know of. I was going to buy a AB but just couldn't commit myself to one even though they are all the rage now. I like the conical tapered bearings on the Vicmarc, it's everything I wanted it to be and more. But I'll be the first to say they may not be for everyone, people like different things for different reasons.

Last edited:
As to a lot of the extras that are included such as the oval chuck and even the extra chucks and turning tools themselves I really don't need them as I already have 6 Nova chucks with the full range of Nova jaws, and most all the turning tools I need so I'll be looking at selling most of these items off if I do go for this deal.
Does / would that change opinions?

John

John - If you don't want the oval chuck and other extras that come with the VL300, sell them. That reduces the price you paid for the lathe. Vicmark chucks are well made and hold their value. The oval chuck is rare and lots of turners want a chance to use one -- if only to sell it on later. You shouldn't have any difficulty in selling the extras for good money. If, as you said, the price you're paying is "fair" for the lathe itself (ignoring the extras), selling off the extras should make the net price for the lathe a very good deal.

Hope your seller isn't reading this thread.

The difference between steel bed lathes and cast iron bed lathes..... Takes me back to my hang gliding days. I bought a new glider, and on the first flight it freaked me out for a few minutes. The reason was that it made different noises when it flew, and I was not used to it. After a few flights, I forgot all about the differences. It was only noise after all.

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
To my understanding, cast iron will have less movement than steel, due to ambient temperature variations.

The difference may be so small for a wood lathe, that the comparison will be without realistic consequences. Most of those lathes that use steel for bedway support, have many welded support braces, and in the case of the Oneway, that huge steel tube, have the bases covered pretty well.

You won't find many big industrial metal lathes, vertical mills, etc., that will use steel as a support base. In this case, only a few thousandths of variation will be problematic for precision machining......but, this isn't as much concern for the wood turner.

ooc

Back