• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vacuum setup

I have a Jet 1236 and would like to set up a vacuum system for it.. since the handwheel screws into the spindle and not on the outside like most lathes I have seen.. what options do I have for setting up a vacuum system..
Thanks for any advice...

Tom Mullane
Old Griz Scroll Art

Last edited:
Griz,

Best is the Packard E-Z Vac deal that mounts through the spindle. I set up my old 1236 that way and it was great. I did add a rubber "O" ring to the flange end to make a better seal to the morse taper.

Mark Mandell

I have been using the EZ vac for a few years, sans o-ring, without any problems. I got a new lathe a while back and all I had to do was get a new piece of lamp tube for everything to work again.

My lathe is threaded internally on the handwheel hookup also and I set up my vacuum system with the EZ Vac unit from Woodturners Supply. I did add a O ring as Mark suggested and have had no problems with the system.

Wilford

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
oldgriz said:
I have a Jet 1236 and would like to set up a vacuum system for it.. since the handwheel screws into the spindle and not on the outside like most lathes I have seen.. what options do I have for setting up a vacuum system..

Thanks for any advice...

Tom Mullane

Use something like the E-Z Vacuum system like others have noted or just simply find the correct size and TPI of short length pipe to screw in there and make a new handwheel with a rotary adapter setup. That way you can have your vacuum setup available along with your headstock spindle morse taper and use of the knockout bar without having to remove the vacuum setup.

I also have the 1236. Should the threads inside the spindle be reverse threaded? Does anyone know, having already built a system for the 1236, what the proper sizing specs are for the inside of the spindle. I have turned for a short while, but on my father's equipment. I now have my own lathe, and after using his vacuum setup, I have to build my own. His is all factory made stuff and I want to try myself to build it.
Thanks in advance!

I guess what I need is more information. I see on your set up that the lamp rod and screw with tapered washer go into the morse taper inboard side of the spindle. How did you then seal the other end of the lamp rod to the corian?

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
The corian is an adapter made so that the lamp rod screws into the one end. That end of the adapter has a small tenon in it to fit into the handwheel to just keep it centered.
On the other end of the corian there is a rabbit for the 2 stacked bearings to go into, and I uses JB weld to seal them in place. Then the air hose coupling is JB welded into the bearings.
Around the end of the lamp rod coming out the headstock is a rubber seal, actually the rubber gasket from a toilet supply line. Then that gets the washer and nut to hold the rod tight into the shaft of the headstock.
The vacuum goes from the air chuck, thru the bearing centers, a little corian, then into the lamp rod that comes out past the headstock. The rubber seal is to keep from losing vacuum from the end of the lamp rod back around the end of the lamp rod and back out the headstock hole that the lamp rod shaft is in.
So the vacuum is in the airline coming in and the to the vacuum chuck screwed onto the headstock, where you are creating the vacuum.

I know that what I have is different than the O. P. is asking about but thought that I would add my $.02 to this.
I have a general 26020vs with a through hole in the headstock spindle, it was simple enough and "cheap" to make my own adapter out of scraps of corian glued up with C.A., a $6 high quality bearing a 1/4" brass niple and some JB weld. I should add that after building the adapter I added two O-rings into the groves for a tight seal in the spindle.

Attachments

• Vacuum system.pdf
    308.5 KB · Views: 129
Vicmarc makes a vacuum coupling that fits on to the spindle has a hose connection on it then the face plate or vacuum cup fit on to it.
you can check it out on their web site.
If I understand you, the bolt that holds your hand wheel on does not have a hole in it, if not you can drill a hole, it does not have to be a big hole.then make the bearing adapter to fit your had wheel and seal it to the hand wheel
with a good seal. It has to be a good seal, vacuum will find a hole to leak out.
Good luck

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you mean nuts in the size of the spindle thread, I've gotten them at Tractor Supply (there's one in Mansfield, PA). Some people get them at Fastenal (also in Mansfield).

You drive all the way to Pennsylvania? There is a closer Tractor Supply in Mansfield, Texas. :D

You drive all the way to Pennsylvania? There is a closer Tractor Supply in Mansfield, Texas. :D

No, I go to the ones in Denton (not OH) or Roanoke (not VA), but Lee Bellinger, who asked the question, lives in Pennsylvania. Just trying to be helpful!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I misread your post and thought that you said that you bought the nuts in PA. I had checked and found that Mansfield is fairly small at around 3,600 people and the town was founded by a person named Mann who had cleared his field to build the town. I figured that you might have relatives there. I'm pretty close to the TS in Mansfield, TX but go to the one in Caldwell, TX because that is where my paents live.

Back