• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What type of tree is this?

Does anybody know what type of tree this is? I thought it was walnut because of the color but not sure. It fell in NYC during the storm.
Thanks, Rob

Attachments

• Walnut.jpg
    Walnut.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Walnut..jpg
    Walnut..jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 181
  • walnut...jpg
    walnut...jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 155
  • walnut....jpg
    walnut....jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 174
Leaves would suggest elm. At least that is my first guess. Usually kind of stinky like the cats have been tagging it.

robo hippy

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I agree with Reed that this looks like a species of elm (likely not American or Red which are susceptible to Dutch Elm Disease), particularly given the leaf characteristics of strongly dentate leaf margins and asymmetrical leaf bases at the petiole end. There is particularly marked contrast between sapwood and heartwood, where I can see how it could be mistaken for walnut (but the leaf characters are all wrong for Juglans). The deep furrowing of the bark with acute angular intersections also look good as far as it being an elm. If we could get a much closer view of the end grain characters, specifically with a fairly clean cross section slice, it would help a lot - if wavy parenchyma bands are present in the latewood, then it is an elm (Ulmus sp.) of some kind. There are several different species and cultivars used as shade/landscape trees. Were there any remaining fruit remaining on any of the branches? (This would also be a very telling character!)

Attempting tree ID from 1200 miles away; a great addition to my day!

Rob Wallace

Last edited:
Thanks for the in depth reply.
There are some small buds at the base of each leaf. See my 2nd photo. Are they fruit buds? There doesn't seem to be any fruit. What would it look like?
I never turned elm. I've seen the attractive contrast on natural edge bowls. How does it turn? Is it common?
Thanks,
Rob

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Thanks for the in depth reply.
There are some small buds at the base of each leaf. See my 2nd photo. Are they fruit buds? There doesn't seem to be any fruit. What would it look like?
I never turned elm. I've seen the attractive contrast on natural edge bowls. How does it turn? Is it common?
Thanks,
Rob

I agree with the others ^^^ that it's an elm.

In my experience, it will be full of water and can be a tad odiferous - like a barn or litterbox... I don't care for using the wood for wet foods because of the off-taste it can cause but it's fine for dry items. Elm's on the harder side of the density scale with interlocking grain. The interlock can make for fuzziness - especially on the roughing out. When sanded/polished to a high grit and finished with oils, it has a warm and beautiful quality. The grain is said to have a "pheasant feather" look to it.

In my book, it's not that high on my favorites list but it's worthwhile turning at least once for gaining some experience dealing with the interlocking structure.

A tree grows in Brooklyn. Good title.

Street planting in the city would be a natural place for a rapidly-growing tree like elm. Tolerance for less-than the best in air quality recommends the genus as well. Small of leaf, which makes the Siberian a good prospect. The nodes below the leaves are likely next year's buds forming before dropping this year's.

Bad news is the smell, good news is it's almost bulletproof to dry with interlocking grain. Handsome stuff when it's done, not that the spouse will forgive you entirely for the odor you bring in when she sees it finished. I want to get rid of the last stem of a willow, another stinker, out by the new shed, but she still remembers last branch's turning, which was almost three years ago. At least I think that's what she remembers. Main trunk on this one went down twelve - fifteen years ago. Can't hold a grudge that long, can she?

NB Do not microwave elm or willow, unless the oven's yours and outdoors.

So elms in generally have a musty cat pee odor, a fuzzy grain, and an iridiscent look like looking at a birds wing on edge? I turned some like that taken in the Dallas TX area and knew it wasnt walnut but didnt know what else it could be.

But hey, its free, plentiful and wet. What more do you want. labor is free unless you turn gallery pieces on a daily basis.

tree id

Here is some useless information. The tree in the novel A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith was an ailanthus (Tree of Heaven). How it ever got to Brooklyn is unknown and the subject of many undeserved jokes about that great city.

Back