• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Threaded Lid Inserts

Awhile back I saw some threaded brass inserts that were used to add threads to small boxes. I'm thinking they were an inch or two in diameter. I could use a set but have not been able to find a source. I've checked with all the usual suspects (seems like I originally saw them at Packard) and done an extensive interweb search but no luck. Does anyone know of a current source for these?
thanks

Pat,

You're looking for the brass inserts? I believe both Packard and Craft Supplies USA used to carry them. I haven't seen them in years, so I cannot point you to a supplier. I do have a suggestion: Make your own. If you're comfortable working with metal, you can find a threaded brass fitting that you could adapt as an insert. If you're not comfortable working with metal, you could adapt a plastic plumbing fitting -- in stylish white, black, or gray!

HTH!

Thanks David-
Pretty much what I recall also. I will search out some threaded brass or aluminum 'thingees' that I can modify to use. Were I a "real" turner I'd learn how to turn threads in wood!:)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I found this but not sure it's exactly what you want.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/search?term=050-0035
It's not hard to learn to cut threads in wood. Finding the wood is tougher it has to be quite hard. However I get around that buy casting epoxy into a groove, then I turn the wood away and cut the threads in the epoxy.
Of course you can also just buy one of the Baxter, or Klein threading jigs which will cut threads in much softer materials. I've cut threads in Box Elder and Walnut with the Baxter threader. Could not have done hand chased threads in those.

Thanks John-
I had not thought about a hinged lid versus threaded but it might be an option. I bought a cutter, some husky threaded rod and a nylon block intending to make a threading jig but the project hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. Maybe it's time has come..........................

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... I will search out some threaded brass or aluminum 'thingees' that I can modify to use....

You can find these "thingies" in the plumbing section of most hardware stores. Just buy some male and female couplings of whatever size you need and use a hacksaw to cut off the threaded ends. The PVC fittings are really low cost and as mentioned by David, you can get them in white, black, or gray designer colors. The cost of brass has gotten completely unreasonable, but a good source is old brass plumbing stuff from a junk store or if you know a packrat. Just keep in mind that pipe threads are tapered so just use two or three turns from the ends. The back parts of the threads will have a serious interference fit.

I am also still looking for that round "tuit" so that I can finish my threading jig.

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
Patrick, depending on your end goals, you really might want to consider hand chasing. I believe it is no more effort than trying to make your own brass threaded rings, LOL if you are not a machinist. John is right about the wood, though. Your domestics can be limiting. I have had success with hand chasing hard maple, dogwood, bradford pear, osage orange and mountain laurel. A 16 TPI pair of chasers would be a good place to start. I found hand thread chasing to be a fun adventure but it does take some effort and patience.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Don't be intimidated with the prospects of turning brass. It turns easily with woodturning scrapers. Just keep the speed down to avoid overheating your scraper. Another alternative material to consider as inserts is Corian. It hand chases rather well, and scraps usually are available from local bathroom remodeling shops.

Dennis

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Brass also turn well with cutting tools although some brass is work hardened and has to be annealed. You anneal it backwards from what your used to with steel. heat to redhot and quench. this softens it.
Personally I would not chase thread in it. Only because I would rather not dull my chasers any more than necessary.
I have purchased matching theaded brass pieces form the hardware store and then cut and turned them down to the size I needed. It they don't turn well then you need to anneal them but most that I have turned are not problem.
You can of course use copper or PVC threaded devices as well.

Try going to Lee Valley and searching for "gold-plated box rings". I think this is what you are looking for. They are 3/4" and 1-3/8" inside diameters.

Back