• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

one power tool

I have been making things, furniture and the like for most of my life. In retirement I am considering sticking with the lathe. (I have no more room for another piece of furniture) Turning is a new endeavor and I have really adapted well to the lathe, both spindle and bowl. I have a shop full of power tools. My question is: If I were to have only one power tool, besides my lathe of course, what should I choose? What would be second?
My instincts tell me that I should keep the bandsaw and the drill press above all others.
What do you turners think?
Ed

Bandsaw for sure. The others depend on what you may venture into. Pens- need drill press. Segmented bowls then a good table saw or good miter saw and good disk sander.
But the bandsaw I would say above all others.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For me working in green wood mostly hollow forms
Lathe
Grinder. ( forgot this)
1 chain saw,
2 bandsaw
3 drill press,
Buffer

If you decide to do segmented work
Jointer, planner, chop saw, table saw, big drum sander( performax?) can all come in handy.

Small tools like angle grinders, drills, routers, saber saws, can come in handy

A stationary Sander with disc and belt can come in handy and is real useful for segmented work.

Al

Last edited:
I think we've overlooked the #1 accessory tool--the sharpening system--maybe because it's so essential we don't consider it an option. Same thing with--eye protection, hearing protection, face protection, respiratory protection.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I agree, BS first.......

I also agree Mike, but PLEASE.....

.......let's keep politics off of the AAW Forum!

There's enough of that going on in the media right now! ;)

Have a great weekend! :D

Rob

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Bandsaw for sure although I also agree with the sharpening system. I love my Chainsaw. My drill press is probably one of the best machines I purchased many many years ago. It would be hard to give it up but it depends on what I'm turning.

i would have to say chainsaw, other would be sharpning grinder, not a power tool but maul and wedges come in handy

I think the grinder is essential, or whatever your sharpening method is. Same as safety gear. I think is was talking about his flatwork shop tools.

I worked hard all those years so I could have more tools around. I like them all. I don't need any more tools really, but I seem to keep looking. Have to have a GOOD chainsaw (or two or three). The maul and wedge sounds like firewood processing to me (I do have a couple of those around also).
Hugh :D:D:D

Bandsaw, hands down. I understand from the term "shop" that we're speaking of indoor downsizing. I'm sure you have a grinder, and gas chainsaws are definitely outdoor items. Have to go with DP as #3 not for pens, but for getting bases parallel to faces on roughs, and faces planar enough for faceplates/screw centers. In my case, pin chuck.

Then there's the DC. smaller the shop, more you need it.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I agree with the bandsaw, bigger is better, a sharpening system, drill press is great for so many other things, but don't discount the need for storage for all the tools, chuck and jigs for woodturning.

WOW! Thanks to all of you with the speedy replies. I have all of the tools that were mentioned. My plan is to downsize so the question might have been better put, what can I get rid of (sell). My plan is to cover the table saw with other tools like the disc sander etc and see how well I can get along without it.
over the winter.
Obviously I will keep the bandsaw and the drill press, maybe upgrade a bit if I get a good price for some of the other tools. Good idea on the chain saw. I have a small one that should work just fine for now. My lathe is a Delta mini which for the time being suits all my needs. As a furniture carver I have a ton of sharpening methods and that is not a problem.

So thanks to all of you and I hope to have the chance to get to a turning event and swap big stories about catches, blowouts and beautiful turnings.
Ed

There is one absolute. The tools you sell-off (for a LOT lees than it will cost to replace) will be needed badly soon after they are gone.

So you don't use the jointer for a year and you sell it. Then you see a wonderful turning in which part of the process involves the use of a jointer. You can likely make the turning without a jointer. You would use a block plane and a shooting board. But that jointer you sold sure would have made things easier.

If you keep the jointer it will be the table saw you need, or the router table, or the belt sander, or the planer, or the dovetail jig.

As you continue your journey in woodturning being able to fall back on your strengths as a furniture maker will permit you to do work that other folks will marvel at. So use all your strengths as you improve your woodturning.

Oh yea. If your house is full of furniture your house will soon be full of bowls.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ed Zappen said:
WOW! Thanks to all of you with the speedy replies.
So thanks to all of you and I hope to have the chance to get to a turning event and swap big stories about catches, blowouts and beautiful turnings.
Ed

Gynia said:
As you continue your journey in woodturning being able to fall back on your strengths as a furniture maker will permit you to do work that other folks will marvel at. So use all your strengths as you improve your woodturning.

Ed,
Gynia offers some solid advice.
Consider taking a class or getting some mentoring from an experienced turner. With your knowledge of wood and how it is cut, there is no reason for you to ever get a catch.
Catches are not part of woodturning or some right of passage. Some hands on work with a good instructor will move you miles ahead with more confidence and satisfaction in your work in such a short time.

Work safe
Al

Bring your workshop into the 21st century. Keep the lathe and sell everything else that isn't lathe related. Use the money to buy (or build) a nice little CNC router for yourself.

Ed

In my humble opinion, and with past experience, as soon as you get rid of a tool you will find yourself in a position where you could really use it, or you will want to take on a project where you will need that tool to complete it. You will then be kicking your own butt, because you had all those tools bought and paid for, but you sold them. So you have to work three times as hard to complete the same task, or you won't take on that project because you don't have the necesarry equipment to do it. My advice would be to not sell anything. Let someone else take care of that many years down the road when you have moved on to that big woodshop in the sky.

Scott...Gynia et al
really good points that you make about keeping some of the tools. I am not going to do anything for awhile and see how it goes and how my hobby changes if at all. I took a couple turning classes with Michael Mocho and as going to Marc Adams school for a week of bowl turning.
So much good advice and thank you all.
Ed

Scott...Gynia et al
really good points that you make about keeping some of the tools. I am not going to do anything for awhile and see how it goes and how my hobby changes if at all. I took a couple turning classes with Michael Mocho and am going to Marc Adams school for a week of bowl turning next week.
So much good advice and thank you all.
Ed

I have been making things, furniture and the like for most of my life. In retirement I am considering sticking with the lathe. (I have no more room for another piece of furniture) Turning is a new endeavor and I have really adapted well to the lathe, both spindle and bowl. I have a shop full of power tools. My question is: If I were to have only one power tool, besides my lathe of course, what should I choose? What would be second?
My instincts tell me that I should keep the bandsaw and the drill press above all others.
What do you turners think?
Ed

I think the consensus is you can"t have just 1 more tool :D .Build a bigger shop.

Back