• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

will strong hold chuck jaws fit any other chucks

i bought a strong hold chuck and all jaws i could find. i think the chuck is awsum , but find i,m always needing to use my second lathe wich means changing the adaptor from one thread adapter to the other because the threads are different on each lathe. and also have to change jaws constantly witch gets anoying. would like to buy another strong hold chuck , but finances has been on the low side lately. thought about that barracuda chuck because it shows it comes with several jaws,but also have seen a nova chuck the other day and was not impressed with how little the jaws opened and closed is the barracuda chuck that way? anyone with suggestions would be helpful or is there another chuck that my jaws will fit? i,ve only been at this a year what a addicting hobby and expensive :D worse than a drunk without beer lol :eek:

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
Last edited:
thanks for idea

i like the adaptor idea never new they made such a thing.will solve other problems also.like when i,ve borrowed my uncle chuck.definetly think i,ll buy one.what a salesman lol. but the strong hold chuck body is still out of my price range for now.maybe have to wait for a few months and save some money for now instead of trying to get cheap.i should now better than this anyhow. just get impatiant sime times. maybe look for used. :rolleyes:

adaptor

just talked to a freind of mine that has a metal lathes.told me to come over says he can make this easily and i was wondering if i should maybe have him try to make a adaptor for the tapper for my spindle chucks. has anyone done this or is it safe to extend out to far or hard on bearings? :cool:

You cannot use your Stronghold jaws on any other chuck that I know of. You can't even use them on the Oneway original and Talon chucks. (It is possible to use the Talon/Oneway jaws on the Supernova family).
In general, you want to minimise the number of parts between the spindle and the wood: everything adds some amount of runout, play and other undesirable inaccuracy. The spindle adapter should be reasonable however, and it sounds like your best bet.
"make a adaptor for the taper(?) for my spindle chucks". I'm not sure what you mean here. An adapter to go from MT1 to MT2 or vice versa? Those are available too.

Graeme

I don't know of any of the chucks that use a MT2 or 1. To the best of my knowledge they all screw onto the spindle. I wouldn't want to use one on a MT because it would come flying back at you without a center on the tailstock. I wouldn't want an extension type of adapter where you have a female of one size at one end, and a male of the other on the other end because the more you have sticking off the end of the spindle the more likely you are to have an off center or wobble situation. Either keep changing the internal adapters, or buy another chuck.

JimQ

How about the Nova Titan?

Does anyone know if the stronghold jaws will fit the Nova Titan? I have the chuck but I don't have any Stronghold jaws to test the fit. The documentation with the Titan may say one way or another.

John

adaptor

the mt1 to the mt 2 will be inside the threaded part of the adaptor end just for other uses.i know better not to trust putting on the chuck without threads all ready had it unscrew once at high speed when sanding and it hit cement floor spinning fast enouhg to blacken the wood.

I have both the super nova and titan chucks. The jaws for those two are interchangeable. I have used oneway jaws on both of these chucks with no problem. I honestly don't know if the stronghold and talon jaws are interchangeable. Mebe someone here knows.

Jim

Website
www.woodturner-russ.com
No

The simple answer to your question is NO. The "Stronghold" jaws will fit the "Stronghold" chuck and nothing else. It follows that there are no other jaws from another manufacturer that will fit the "Stronghold".

The only exception that I know of is that Vicmark used to make a set of dovetail jaws specifically for the "Stronghold" chuck. They have not been advertised since Oneway started making their own "Smooth" jaws, but there could be some of them still around.

To all of the others who are unsure about what fits what, it is a mixed bag. The following is all that I know about it.

The Oneway "Talon" and the Oneway "Scroll" chuck use the same jaws and they are interchangeable.

These same jaws can be used on the Nova "Original" and the "SuperNova" with a slight modification. Some sizes of the Oneway jaws have a little pin in the back side of one of the jaws to limit travel when they are used the Oneway chucks. That pin will have to be pulled out or ground down to use the jaws in the 2 Nova chucks. Other than that, they are idenrical. I understand that the reason they are interchangeable with the Nova is that, in the beginning, Oneway made the Nova scroll chucks, so they are essentially the same chuck.

The Nova "Original" and "SuperNova' jaws are identical, and are interchangeagle with each other and can also be used on either the Oneway "Talon" or the "Scroll" chuck.

The Nova "Titan" uses three (3) screws to attach the jaws to the chuck, and they are interchangeable with nothing else (that I know of). All other chucks use a two (2) screw attachment.

The Axminster "Apprentice" uses a jaw that fits nothing except another "Apprentice".

All other Axminster jaws are universal to all Axminster chucks, but they are interchangeable with nothing else.

Vicmarc chuck jaws are and have always been made specifically for each chuck size, and there is almost no interchangeability between the different sizes of chucks within the Vicmarc line, and none of the Vicmark jaws will fit any other chuck, that I know of. Some of the new Vicmarc jaws will fit some of the older discontinued chuck models, but I would recommed checking with Vicmarc or having access to the actual chuck jaws to check the fit.

Vicmarc does make an adapter plate so their smaller jaws can be used on the Nova Original and SuperNova, and therefore also on the Oneway Talon.

Somebody is now making a universal chuck that is advertised to accept every jaw from every manufacturer. However, I have seen some messages that its universal appeal is overstated, and that there are a lot of jaws that won't fit. Not having seen the chuck, someone else will have to comment on what will and won't fit.

The moral to this story is that, except for the Oneway/Talon/Nova/SuperNova connection, once we buy a chuck from any manufacturer, we are captured to that brand.

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
thanks russ for your more expanded explanation. just one more note on the talon/oneway chucks compatibility. this is straight from their website.

"Compatibility
The jaws of the TALON Chuck are compatible with the jaws of the original ONEWAY scroll chuck. However, because of the Talon's smaller body diameter, if you use ONEWAY Chuck Jaws, there will be some areas where capacity overlap between jaw sets will not occur."

No

The simple answer to your question is NO. The "Stronghold" jaws will fit the "Stronghold" chuck and nothing else. It follows that there are no other jaws from another manufacturer that will fit the "Stronghold".

The only exception that I know of is that Vicmark used to make a set of dovetail jaws specifically for the "Stronghold" chuck. They have not been advertised since Oneway started making their own "Smooth" jaws, but there could be some of them still around.

To all of the others who are unsure about what fits what, it is a mixed bag. The following is all that I know about it.

The Oneway "Talon" and the Oneway "Scroll" chuck use the same jaws and they are interchangeable.

These same jaws can be used on the Nova "Original" and the "SuperNova" with a slight modification. Some sizes of the Oneway jaws have a little pin in the back side of one of the jaws to limit travel when they are used the Oneway chucks. That pin will have to be pulled out or ground down to use the jaws in the 2 Nova chucks. Other than that, they are idenrical. I understand that the reason they are interchangeable with the Nova is that, in the beginning, Oneway made the Nova scroll chucks, so they are essentially the same chuck.

The Nova "Original" and "SuperNova' jaws are identical, and are interchangeagle with each other and can also be used on either the Oneway "Talon" or the "Scroll" chuck.

The Nova "Titan" uses three (3) screws to attach the jaws to the chuck, and they are interchangeable with nothing else (that I know of). All other chucks use a two (2) screw attachment.

The Axminster "Apprentice" uses a jaw that fits nothing except another "Apprentice".

All other Axminster jaws are universal to all Axminster chucks, but they are interchangeable with nothing else.

Vicmarc chuck jaws are and have always been made specifically for each chuck size, and there is almost no interchangeability between the different sizes of chucks within the Vicmarc line, and none of the Vicmark jaws will fit any other chuck, that I know of. Some of the new Vicmarc jaws will fit some of the older discontinued chuck models, but I would recommed checking with Vicmarc or having access to the actual chuck jaws to check the fit.

Vicmarc does make an adapter plate so their smaller jaws can be used on the Nova Original and SuperNova, and therefore also on the Oneway Talon.

Somebody is now making a universal chuck that is advertised to accept every jaw from every manufacturer. However, I have seen some messages that its universal appeal is overstated, and that there are a lot of jaws that won't fit. Not having seen the chuck, someone else will have to comment on what will and won't fit.

The moral to this story is that, except for the Oneway/Talon/Nova/SuperNova connection, once we buy a chuck from any manufacturer, we are captured to that brand.
Wow, talk about resurrecting and old thread! I'm preparing for a class and have 2 old Nova G3 chucks and a Oneway Talon and was very surprised to find out that their jaws are interchangable. thank you Russ for confirming... or did I just confirm you? either way, thanks

Back