• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Symposium 2012, Reflections....

I keep thinking back to the San Jose Symposium, and what keeps coming up is this: Perhaps the AAW needs to rethink the event. Main thing is that the cost, for both vendors and turners, puts it out of range for a lot of us, and perhaps we should try to get away from the big Conference and Trade show venue. We do not attract 50,000 people to the show, and it seems like that is what this type of convention center is designed for, and that drives the cost up over what most of the turners can afford. It should not be an event that caters to the elite. How can we make it more affordable????????

robo hippy

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Deja vu ----> "How do we make the Symposium more affordable?"

Reed:

Your comments represent a recurring theme about selecting the venue for the AAW Symposia. The fact is that EVERYTHING about the venue and infrastructure at the San Jose Symposium was expensive - you are right in that it is designed primarily for use by corporations with deep pockets. Unfortunately "the expensive one" was also the most recent Symposium "near your back yard", which is a consequence of having it there. If you recall, the Portland symposium was not nearly as expensive, overall. That was a GREAT symposium!

I have been to every AAW symposium since 2005 (eight in a row) and I can tell you this was about the most costly of any one I have been to. There were a few bad experiences at past symposia (e.g. .....who remembers the wonderful "Galt House" in Louisville??), but even though we have been mostly meeting in convention centers, the relative costs of these past symposia have been more affordable than the San Jose symposium was this year. (I did some checking for this in the files I keep on all of my costs for attending AAW national symposia).

You ask "How can we make it more affordable?" - there is no one easy answer, but selecting a venue has been discussed repeatedly over the past years, and how the Board does this is explained HERE.

I have not seen the numbers specifically, but I was told that the Tampa Symposium in 2013 will be significantly less expensive than the San Jose Symposium was (... it should be easy to accomplish this!). If I do eventually get on the Board, this is one of the things I hope to work on. I have previously been one of the main people running national scientific meetings for various biological/botanical societies at least three times over the past 20+ years, and there are some things that are out of your control (e.g. airfares, local taxes on hotel rates, local transportation costs, etc.) and some that are negotiable with the venue along with some of the facilities and services in the region. Every venue is distinct and the businesses associated with it are unique. The AAW has a competent meeting planner that is more than aware of the AAW's desire to keep costs down and make it affordable. I spoke with her after the Member's meeting on Sunday morning of the San Jose symposium, and she said that in this case it was very difficult to deal and negotiate with the contracted venue, particularly one in the middle of Silicon Valley that can pretty much get whatever amounts they ask from mega-corporations (....which AAW is NOT!).

I would not like to see the annual Symposium broken-up into smaller regional meetings of the AAW (there are already a number of very successful regional events in place that serve this role), particularly that such a scenario would be even more costly to the AAW to try to put-on several major meetings around the country, instead of just one annual Symposium. I think it is important that we do have a major annual meeting for the Association as a whole, and agree that it should be as broadly accessible to members as possible.

Other comments or suggestions?

Rob Wallace

There was a recent discussion about this topic under the AAW symposium heading not so long ago. It does seem a little counter productive to reinvent the wheel every year going to different locations around the country. Seems to me that a 2 or 4 location rotation would make more sense if for no other reason consistency and ability to negotiate venue contracts. However, there were some good points brought up in the other thread on why moving it around makes some sense. It is a tougher issue than it seems.

Dale

Research, Research, Research

Is the key to addressing this issue. From what I understand, the San Jose and Atlanta venues were simply not researched before the contracts were inked. Fortunate we are that Atlanta got released (nothing personal to you Bull Dogs ;) )

Site choice for the Symposium needs to be closely looked at, not just from the standpoint of the AAW cost and physical plant, but also for the reasonable expenses for the attendees and vendors. San Jose was a serious a screw up in this regard. When the host hotel charges $16 for a hamburger or $12 for a martini, and when it's a $60 ride from the nearest real major airport, that should be a dead giveaway that site selection needs to move on.

It might be beneficial for the site committee to sit down and do a cost analysis for say the last 10 symposia. Finding a new venue each year may not be the best choice, but reusing 3 or 4 is doubtfully good either. In the alternative, rotating through 6 or 7 venues with demonstrated cost benefits and member-support populations could save a lot of hassle and increase bargaining power. For example, it's nice to get discounted room rates, but if the host gouges it back on food etc., the savings become illusory.

part of the host hotel fee is kicked back to the AAW, which has been acknowledged and is fine, the symposium is a fundraiser for the AAW, douthful that any more discount at host hotel.......Tampa has as Al has said many motels within driving distance and decent parking near convention

Symposium

The first symposium I went to was 1993 at a SUNY (State University Of New York) campus in Purchase NY. By today's standards it was perhaps primitive, but it inspired me to be a lifelong turner. Why not college campuses? I'm sure the colleges could use the revenue. You would have plenty of room and perhaps the dorms could be utilized for the member's stay.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Paul Having just retired from a University I see this a lot. Might be worth looking into although I'm not sure they can handle the numbers. Our University is up to 11,000 students and I'm not sure they could handle a group the size of the AAW. Major events such as concerts have to bring their own electrical set ups because the Basketball Arena which is the only facility large enough to handle the AAW would not have the electrical set ups that city symposium sites are set up to handle. Our newest Dorms aren't bad but severely lacking the amenities of a hotel room. Our campus is also alcohol and tobacco free which would could be a problem for many of our members.
Cost has always been a major factor for me. If I wasn't able to be accepted as a demonstrator I would not have been to any of them. I did manage to go to Louisville on my own dollar but doubt that will ever happen again. On my budget the symposium is simply out of reach. It's expensive enough to just go to the local ones and I can stay for free at those thanks to relatives or an hour drive home each night.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Paul,
The university campus worked well when the AAW symposium was small.
Now a small one is over 1200.
With the economy on the upside I expect we'll be back in the 1600 range next year.

The FLORIDA Symposium is held at a the Lake Yale Baptist center.
Similar to a college campus. Dorm style rooms every one eats in the cafeteria.
It is an intimate event where everyone gets to interact with each other.
Attendance runs around 300 which is terrific.

As Mark mentioned the San Jose site was locked in without proper research. AAW Changed personnel as a result.
Some of you will remember that. It was too expensive!

There is a lot discussion about the future of of the event. Can it function with 25,000 attendees???
Should it have a virtual component where members go from their living room?
Lots of folks only go to one in their lives.
Others try to go every year.

My first symposium was all about trying to see as many demonstrations as possible. I now find seeing friends the bigger part of going.

Al

Now that the "Silicon Valley" group has been satisfied, will the BoD pick "Wall Street" or the "Pentagon" for upcoming symposia?! Florida's economy is still in the dumps and will be for the near future thanks to our method of government, so Tampa should be quite negotiable. But whether the BoD likes it or not, the move toward professional woodturning art forms and groups, while appreciated, has left the masses in the dust, with very little consideration, IMHO.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
charlie knighton said:
part of the host hotel fee is kicked back to the AAW, which has been acknowledged and is fine, the symposium is a fundraiser for the AAW, douthful that any more discount at host hotel.......Tampa has as Al has said many motels within driving distance and decent parking near convention

Charlie,
I did a quickie calculation. Expenses could be as little as $130 plus food.

If 4 friends carpool from Atlanta in a vehicle that gets 20 MPG stay in the Motel 6 that is 9 miles from the TCC

$185 gas for 900 (round trip)+ 72( 4 round trips motel TCC), 20mpg, $3.75 a gal
$310 Two room with two double beds for 3 nights
$20. Four day parking at TCC @$5 per day
$515 total split 4 ways. Less than $130

Food costs above what you would spend to eat at home are not included.
food is tough to calculate. You eat at home. You can spend anywhere from under $5 for a Scottish dinner on up.

Al

Now that the "Silicon Valley" group has been satisfied, will the BoD pick "Wall Street" or the "Pentagon" for upcoming symposia?! Florida's economy is still in the dumps and will be for the near future thanks to our method of government, so Tampa should be quite negotiable. But whether the BoD likes it or not, the move toward professional woodturning art forms and groups, while appreciated, has left the masses in the dust, with very little consideration, IMHO.

Barry,

There's still lots of room in the AAW for the School of Round and Brown, of which I'm a dedicated member by the way. I'll also agree (with you?) that the Instant Gallery and juried theme shows can be a little (perhaps more than a little) intimidating to turners who approach all of this as a part time hobby. But the emergence of woodturning as a serious art form was inevitable. At every AAW Symposium I've been to there has been a wide range of demonstrations, from basic skills to sophisticated coloring, finishing, texturing, and carving. That range is also inevitable for an international gathering. Having 30 different people showing how to turn a bowl or sharpen a tool would be an incredible waste of space and about as interesting as watching paint dry. Moreover, as I've walked the floors, I've seen these varied topic rooms packed to SRO so the members attending are clearly expressing their interest in most everything that's being presented.

There's lots of room in the AAW for beginners, hobbyists, pros, and most everyone else who shows an interest. Remember too, the AAW was founded by a bunch of professional turners, are you suggesting that they now be excluded?:confused:

PS: Let's also keep in mind that the BoD did not pick San Jose as you imply.

Last edited:
Website
www.corgynwoodworks.com
I view attending the AAW symposiums as a luxury - sometimes I can afford it, sometimes I can't...I have been extremely fortunate to have attended 4 since 2002...2 were in my backyard (Providence and Hartford), I carpooled with friends to Louisville and took the train to Richmond. I am hoping to go to Atlanta and have starting saving my pennies and beer can deposits. I was a volunteer at both Providence and Hartford - and I can tell that the amount of time and effort put in by the volunteers is so massive that you would lose savings of re-using the same venues every year in the money you would have to pay people to replace the volunteers...I couldn't put in that time every year or every other. I know from working closely with the BoD in Hartford, that attendance costs are considered very closely in selection of venues. If I can't afford to go to Tampa, there's always 2014...

Should it have a virtual component where members go from their living room?

Wow, i had not thought of that.....how would something like that work.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Barry Elder said:

Outlook on Florida's depends on whether Governor Scott is claiming credit for turning it around or ......

The AAW : its symposium, Journal, and innovative "fundamentals" have a great deal to offer the beginner and those who consider themselves "purists" as well as those who are studio artists.

Fortunately there is room in the AAW for folks whose work goes in a multitude of directions. Pen turners, segmented turners, furniture makers, architectural turners, piercers, carvers, burners, painters, blasters and many more endeavors are all part of turning. Heck even folks who turn molds for concrete are turners too.

And yet the bowl maintains a place of prominence at every Symposium.
Check out this years 4 emerging artists...

Al

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
charlie knighton said:
Wow, i had not thought of that.....how would something like that work.

Charlie,
These are just ideas for the future.
Some thing like a webinar has been suggested.
Participants watch a demos over the web and have away of asking questions.

My speculation is there will be some experimental things in the next year or so.

Al

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
.... Let's also keep in mind that the BoD did not pick San Jose as you imply.

Are you saying that they did not review the costs nor approve the selection? If not, then what are they good for? If yes, then they were involved in the selection since they had the final say.

The expense of the San Jose trip was the only reason I couldn't justify going. Sure we could have scraped together the money, but it would have been tight. I calculated that for my wife and I to fly to San Jose (or San Francisco) get a budget motel (the AAW hotels were TOOO expensive), a rental car, fuel, food and the registration.... well it came to about $1800. And that was without buying ANYTHING! :( That was just too much.

I agree that the planning commitee needs to research and re-evaluate the locations (both in size and geographic locations). Frankly I don't understand why all Symposiums aren't held in cities located in the middle of the country (from coast to coast horizontally). I would think that given the choice of paying for airfare, most folks wouldn't mind a 3-8 hour drive to a location. Thinking out loud, but the geographic location of the members should be taken into concideration as well.

I would love to go to Tampa in 2013, but I am afraid that it too might be out of our budget.

On the flip side, a serious look should be had at how the SWAT symposium is run and how they are able to give attendees such a better "bang for the buck". We are going to SWAT again this year. Main reasons.... great nationally known demonstrators, it's within driving distance, relatively cheap registration with full blown meals included, fantastic prize/raffle drawings and a vendor show that is about 75% the size of the national symposium.

I do, however, miss seeing the massive amounts of top notch artists' work on display and the larger amount of the same artist for demostrations and face to face conversations. The national symposiums instant gallery is un-matched as well.

The Symposium planning committee does take members locations into account. A membership "cluster" map was put on this forum the last time this subject came up. And the lack or research has been addressed aswell.

Having worked for a college previously, I think the right sized college/university would be a good choice for many reasons. They have housing, parking, usually close to public transit, food. They don't usually have rediculous prices or restrictions concerning the use of the union electricians to change a light bulb etc. because they use their own event and plant staff. Many colleges already handle events with far more people in attendance than the AAW has ever had at a symposium. And they have more schedule flexibility during the summer when we have the symposium.

Here in Chicago we have the "Turn-On-Chicago" Symposium coming up August 3-5 at a local college that is appropriate for our size and it has worked rather well at this same location the in past years.

Al, I'm confused about the concern about whether the AAW could handle 25,000 in attendance? Only 14,000 in total members and its not likely to reach 25,000 anytime soon. Additionally, with the AAW consisting largely of members 50+ it is likely to swell with the Babyboomers and then shrink after that. Could you explain the nature of that concern?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Bill Boehme said:
Are you saying that they did not review the costs nor approve the selection? If not, then what are they good for? If yes, then they were involved in the selection since they had the final say.

Bill,
Yes a contract was signed without AAW board approval and without a site visit. The board made appropriate personnel changes in reaction.

In the case of the Tampa selection site visits were made to Atlanta and Tampa then the board made the final decision and approved the contract prior to obligating AAW.
I visited the Tampa Convention Center with the AAW ED and the AAW Conference Coordinator.
I think the TCC will be the most vendor friendly place we have been in a while. TCC has everything AAW needs. in my opinion it is our best facility since I began working with the symposiums in 2006.

Al

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Thomas Stegall said:
, I'm confused about the concern about whether the AAW could handle 25,000 in attendance? Only 14,000 in total members and its not likely to reach 25,000 anytime soon. Additionally, with the AAW consisting largely of members 50+ it is likely to swell with the Babyboomers and then shrink after that. Could you explain the nature of that concern?

Thomas just a big number. I think the symposium works well for 1600 to 2000 when/if it gets bigger I'm not sure the format works for real large numbers.
Maybe that will never be an issue.

Al

We should keep the national symposium

I understand everyone's concerns about the cost of attending the San Jose symposium. I see that issue as an aberration that the current board and (hopefully) future boards will prevent from happening again.

One of the reasons I think we should keep the national symposium is because I think it drives a lot of the innovation we've seen in woodturning tools over the last few years. Without the symposium, it would be far more difficult and expensive for tool makers to bring a new product to market. The annual symposium gives vendors the critical mass of turners necessary to make it cost effective for them to set up a booth and test their wares.

Think about it: It's expensive to ship lathes and inventory, staff a booth with demonstrators, and prepare promotional materials. Can a company afford to do that if their wares will be seen by only a handful of turners (as would be the case at a regional event that has a few hundred turners, most of whom do not visit every booth)? The national symposium, with over a thousand turners in attendance, gives a tool maker a realistic chance for a new product to be seen by enough eyeballs for a successful launch. Without the national symposium, the pace of innovation would be slower.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Now that the "Silicon Valley" group has been satisfied, will the BoD pick "Wall Street" or the "Pentagon" for upcoming symposia?!Florida's economy is still in the dumps and will be for the near future thanks to our method of government, so Tampa should be quite negotiable. But whether the BoD likes it or not, the move toward professional woodturning art forms and groups, while appreciated, has left the masses in the dust, with very little consideration, IMHO.

What does that mean "now that the Silicon Valley Group is satisfied" ? "Wall Street, Pentagon" ??????? :confused::confused: The N. California clubs that worked their butts off for a year might take exception to that. I assume you have volunteered to assist this next year for the Tampa Symposium.

The move toward "professional art forms" is not much different than it was 26 years ago. The AAW has always been led by the people that want to grow and move along, and much of the work seen is sort of "leading edge" such as it is. So what? No one has been left behind, and anyone that goes, or even looks at the photos can see that. There are plenty of basic topics, and plenty of newer turners, who proudly put their name on the cards, and put their work out on the table for everyone to see. I happen to like that. And FWIW, much of the most sophisticated, and technical work in particular, is done by non-professionals.

The AAW is not a hobby organization, it never was. Its not an association of professionals either. It is inclusive, and that means it includes ALL types of turners. If the symposium was scaled down, its unlikely that the children's area could continue as it is-lots of happy kids going home with projects and FREE lathes. The auction would generate less money for......................Educational Opportunity Grants-financial aid for folks to further their woodturning skills, even go to the AAW Symposium. :eek:

I have been to all 26 symposia, and there were many years it was a real financial and logistical struggle, sometimes it still is. :) I thought it was important, so I found a way. No matter how local it is, or cheap it is, or basic you want to make it, there are people who, for one reason or another, will be unable to go. Its a big, grand, special event-it should be.

The regional meetings are very good, I've been to most of them at least once, and go to a couple of the very small ones every year, just to hang out and see the folks I've become friends with over the years. Low key, easy to see, good demos, lots of visiting. Not the National Symposium-not trying to be. If you can't make the national, try a regional.

Its not going to go backwards, no matter what any of us think, and that makes me happy.

John

Last edited:
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Very well said John. I am in complete agreement.

,,,,,,,, the move toward professional woodturning art forms and groups, while appreciated, has left the masses in the dust, with very little consideration, IMHO.

I would like to know how this conclusion can be drawn? Where is the evidence?

For those that actively participate in the AAW, its chapters, and at regional events, essentially EVERY organized activity that I know of is, as John states, INCLUSIVE, and in the selection of topics being presented as demonstrations, and in specialized activities like the "Learn To Turn" events, prospective woodturners are encouraged to "give it a try". At the "Youth Turning" symposium activity each year, this event teaches dozens of youth how to turn and then sends 25 lucky smiling youthful winners home with a mini lathe and a complete set of accessories. A simple perusal of the titles of the demonstrations held at the San Jose Symposium this year shows that at least HALF of the topics presented are done at the beginning or intermediate level, and are chosen specifically to allow attendees the opportunity to see a range of demonstrations to build understanding and woodturning skills in ALL who choose to take advantage of these events. I am a member of the Symposium Committee and I can tell you that the committee goes through great pains to assure a program that is presented to the attendees that spans the full range of skill levels of those participating in the symposium.

The AAW also generates thousands of dollars each year for the Educational Opportunity Grant Program, which are are given to applicants - ANY applicants - that demonstrate their desire to advance their individual skills and understanding of woodturning, or to chapters and other groups to advance woodturning with specific activities. This does not sound like 'catering to the professionals' or "very little consideration" to me...

I am also a member of the newly created Woodturning FUNdamentals Committee, and with other members of the committee, have been producing an on-line series of articles directed SPECIFICALLY at the beginner and intermediate turner. Within the first few months, we already have over 2,000 subscribers who are members of the AAW, and anticipate gaining more users of this resource over time as they become more aware if its content and intent.

It is an unfair and inaccurate characterization that the AAW intentionally is leaving ANY of its members "in the dust". It is certainly not in the interest of the organization to do so, and for those that are active and aware of what actually goes on at AAW events, it is clear that demonstrations are chosen to allow turners of all skill levels (amateur, "professional", or hobbiest) to come away with a learning experience.

If anyone feels like they are being "left in the dust", it is because of their own choice, and NOT because the AAW is "moving toward professional art forms", or not providing learning experience possibilities for all of its members. It is, in fact, working toward BROADER participation from everyone. If you choose not to participate, I hope you enjoy the dust!

It is simply NOT TRUE that the AAW is an organization that caters "to the professionals".......please, let's drop this myth, and move on to keep the art, craft, and science of woodturning moving forward for everyone!

Rob Wallace

A Bit of Moderation

While it may seem easy to do, let's not have this thread turn into an "Argue with Barry" thing.

Whether rightly or wrongly, there are a significant number of members of the AAW who "feel" that the organization is too concerned with fostering or promoting members who are also professional artists deriving some portion of their income from turned pieces. That "feeling" is not a myth. It is, however, probably inevitable in any craft organization that includes beginners, dilettantes, dedicated hobbyists, and professionals among its members. It's also likely that some of those same members, seeing highly sophisticated work being published and praised, may feel pressured to do more than they wish or improve beyond what they may perceive to be their own (self-imposed?) limits.

It's very easy to walk through the Annual Instant Gallery and, instead of being inspired to run home and try new things, become quite intimidated by the level of work displayed there each year, and leave with the feeling of "I'll never be good enough to put something in that show. This outfit isn't ever going to be doing anything for me."

Perhaps this is a function of the difference between a local club, where people bring their pieces for show-n-tell among friends with whom they have a beer, and the very different context of a national/international organization and it's annual convention. If that observation is correct, the core issue here may not be possible of resolution, but it needn't be the topic of argument. Feelings, emotional responses, cannot be argued with on logical or even factual grounds, and demanding "proof" of their validity gets us nowhere.

A bit of "slack" is called for here, folks.

Last edited:
It's very easy to walk through the Annual Instant Gallery and, instead of being inspired to run home and try new things, become quite intimidated by the level of work displayed there each year and leave with the feeling of "I'll never be good enough to put something in that show. This outfit isn't ever going to be doing anything for me"......

First hand experience with this, but with different results....

St Paul was my first symposium and after turning for 1 1/2 years I had finally managed to create a few things that the accolades from the online crowd would have indicated that I had it "going on"! So into the Instant Gallery I walked to place my "best of the best" and was just waiting to "cash the checks"!!! BUT.... After I walked through the Instant Gallery, I realized that I had a whole lot of practice to do and that my things were NOT on the same level as the veterans pieces on display. It was a humbling experience to see the pieces from the "masters" and even some of the up and coming turners.

While I know that some folks might be "put off" by a wake up call like this, it did the exact opposite to me. I did a re-think of my methods, designs and finishing. I know, for a fact, that that experience has helped me. I also know that someone less driven might be less interested in participating.

I spent a conciderable amount of time taking photos (with a quarter in the photo for a size reference) and studying the pieces that drew my interest. Very helpfull.

I have yet to go to a symposium. I am planning on Tampa next year. My question is this. Has anyone looked into state fairgrounds? I know that the Kentucky and Indiana State fairgrounds are very nice, as I am sure that most state fairgrounds fit this same description. Enormous amounts of room for trade shows/demos, lots of meeting rooms, they have easily accessible 220v power supply, lots of parking, usually in a heavily populated area with a fine choice of hotels, and restaurants, and you can rent them in sections. You don't have to rent the entire 200 acres. Just rent as many exhibit halls as you need. I'm not sure how pricey they are, but it would be worth looking into.

Mark,

I think you hit it on the head! In the three years I have been turning I have had the privilage to attend the regional Turn-On-Chicago Symposium, the 25th Annual AAW Symposium, donated a piece that was sold in the live auction that was a colaborative with a turning professional, volunteered at both events, and placed a turning in the 25th Instant Gallery. It has been a rich experience and along the way I have not felt "left in the dust" despite being a rookie, but rather inspired to explore the possibilities. But I have heard a few voice their concern about their perceptions that the AAW or at least the AW journal is placing too much emphasis on professionals. Some have done so feeling intimidated by the contrast between the turning they can do, and turnings that are getting attention and that feeling is understandable. But at the same time I am familiar with enough of those individuals featured to know that many of them are not professionals, just highly skilled hobbist pushing themselves to improve and putting out cutting edge work.

And if there is any complaint about being "too professional" the "blame" must rest on Betty Scarpino and her staff, because she continues to produce a journal of the highest quality and it just keeps getting better year after year!

The extremely high quality (and for some intimidating quality) of the AAW Instant Galleries and AW Journal photos are made up primarily of non-professionals that have, like myself been inspired by those who are professionals who have graciously shared their techniques with the rest of us. The AAW culture of professionals sharing their secrets not only makes the AAW a very unique group, but has elevated the quality of work by most of us.

Last edited:
Apology

My profound apologies to anyone offended by my #9 post. My attempt at sarcasm was obviously too severe to be considered dry humor. If anyone was offended by my other comment my apologies are from the heart. Our leaders in woodturning are the core of the AAW and have been since its' inception. I spent many hours reading about all the people who spent many years nurturing and maintaining the early AAW. My intent was to provoke thought and discussion concerning the next generation and the next generation of AAW supporters. When all of us graybearded old cantankerous grumps are ashes, will we have made provisions to maintain a steady future for AAW? Are we generating enough interest and learning in younger minds and bodies for the future?

Again, my apologies to all!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well I have to say that the AAW has literally turned my life around. It has given me direction and I've had one hell of a good time meeting all the people. I've been to 5 symposiums and had a ball at each one. I'm frustrated because I can't afford to go to all the symposiums but that's not their problem I just didn't make a lot of money at my job and the state seems to think I should buy car insurance instead of attend a symposium. A difference in priorities I guess. :)
I think they do a wonderful job of trying to get the symposium around so that as many people as possible have the opportunity to attend at least one. No matter where you held it someone would complain. That's the nature of the beast. We all want it close to home. Think of the people like Terry Scott, Graham Priddle, and Richard Raffen who come just about as far away as you can possibly get from the US. If you dug a hole straight through the Earth from my house you would only be a few hundred miles from where Graham lives.
The one thing we all have in common is our love of turning wood (yea and maybe carving and burning on it too). Our backgrounds are in every direction possible as well as our monetary status and where or even what country we live in. Can you imagine how hard it is to please everyone in a diverse crowd like this. My hat is off to them for the work they do.
If you can't make the AAW symposium then by all means hit the smaller ones. The certainly are fun. John J and I will both be at the Tennessee Symposium (in January I think). I'm going to do my best to hit Tampa next year but I'm going to be adjusting to my new retirement income so that presents a challenge. Hope to see you all there.

I'm going to do my best to hit Tampa next year but I'm going to be adjusting to my new retirement income so that presents a challenge. Hope to see you all there.

Tune up that road racer of yours, load up on the donuts (or 'doughnuts' ;) ), and you'll be fine for Tampa on the cheap. Hey, Florida is down-hill from you, right?:D

see you there!!

Last edited:

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
My profound apologies to anyone offended by my #9 post. My attempt at sarcasm was obviously too severe to be considered dry humor. If anyone was offended by my other comment my apologies are from the heart. Our leaders in woodturning are the core of the AAW and have been since its' inception. I spent many hours reading about all the people who spent many years nurturing and maintaining the early AAW. My intent was to provoke thought and discussion concerning the next generation and the next generation of AAW supporters. When all of us graybearded old cantankerous grumps are ashes, will we have made provisions to maintain a steady future for AAW? Are we generating enough interest and learning in younger minds and bodies for the future?

Again, my apologies to all!

This is woodturning, there's no place for humor or sarcasm here.:D:D

No worries, Barry.

John

And if there is any complaint about being "too professional" the "blame" must rest on Betty Scarpino and her staff, because she continues to produce a journal of the highest quality and it just keeps getting better year after year!

Thomas, you can "blame" me anytime you want :D .....

Actually, the "blame" should go to the many authors who share their knowledge and wisdom by writing articles for the journal. Sure, they get paid, but it never truly covers the time it takes to put together a comprehensive article.

Over the last four years, I've particularly enjoyed seeing more and more nonprofessionals submit articles. The journal truly is written by a range of AAW members.

I remember the first symposium I attended in 1989. I wasn't intimidated by the Instant Gallery ... that was a thrill! I was, however, intimidated and blown away by the demonstrators' skills and techniques. I don't remember who it was who mounted a large out-of-round chunk of wood onto a lathe, then proceeded to "balance" it by chainsawing off chunks here and there. Wow! And seeing Wally Dickerman turn a bowl ... his forms are probably still the best in my opinion. He just turned 90 and is still turning. Now that's something I aspire to!

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mark. I checked the mileage. I could probably make it in 8 to 10 days. Carrying wood back would be a problem. I'd probably have to limit myself to buying just a few tools or a chuck. Maybe Tagua nuts. On the plus side I wouldn't have to pay for parking.

John, the convention center is on this side of the skyline bridge, you would not have to bike over it unless you just wanted to....

Back