• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1442VS Conversion

I have a Jet 1442vs and it serves me well. I have noticed the nose spindle is getting warm and I wonder if the bearings are going bad.

Anyhow I know some people have had trouble with the Reeves drive so I would like to eliminate a problem for the future. I would like to remove it and change the motor to a 3 phase one and use a variable frequency drive to control the speed.

I saw a you tube where a guy had done this successfully. Probably the best thing would be to sell it and get the Jet 1642..

Any ideas on this project? Its a bit over my head !! Thanks !

I had thought about just replacing the bearings with better sealed bearings...I thought about since I bore on this lathe if I could get a really good bearing rated for what I do.. (I make flutes and bore sometimes a 3/4" or 7/8" dia holes approx 30 " long in the flute I am making and wonder if this is putting more strain on the existing lathe bearings than they were designed to.) Any thoughts on this? I have a homemade setup that works really good for the boring.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have a Jet 1442vs and it serves me well. I have noticed the nose spindle is getting warm and I wonder if the bearings are going bad.

Anyhow I know some people have had trouble with the Reeves drive so I would like to eliminate a problem for the future. I would like to remove it and change the motor to a 3 phase one and use a variable frequency drive to control the speed.

I saw a you tube where a guy had done this successfully. Probably the best thing would be to sell it and get the Jet 1642..

Any ideas on this project? Its a bit over my head !! Thanks !

I don't own a Jet 1442, but I did own a Northwood lathe with Reeves drive at one time......so, I can sort of visualize what you're contemplating. Sure, it can be done......but, is the effort worth the final result? Only you can answer that for yourself. I wouldn't have another Reeves drive, if it were free!

In my opinion, you've already answered your own question.......Sell it and get another lathe that has the features you want. This would be the most trouble free solution, and the 16" swing is definitely an upgrade worth having, as well. You are right in that zone of best versatility with the 16" swing upgrade.....

ooc

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you have the electrical know how it's not to bad although it might get complicated removing the Reeves drive and replacing it with a sheeve and the right shaft. I think upgrading to the 1642 is the best choice. Not only do you get a bigger swing and heavier lathe it already has VS done at the factory and should any parts break you can still get them from the factory. Not so if something dies on your modified machine.

you might want to just add up all the cost involved and that might answer your question, the motor and the VFD drive alone would be enough to change my mind on it,
good luck on what ever you do

I have come to that conclusion too. I am saving and gonna try to sell this lathe. It works good. I just want an upgrade and wonder about down the road with it...

I'm far from an expert on lathes but I feel the upgrade would be the best and easiest way. I'm reminded of a young guy who wanted to change his car from automatic tranny to manual. When he got to looking at what was involved, he just traded cars.

Back