• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood restrictions for Symposium

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Mark,

The key is to contact your local dept of agriculture person.

They can help you thought the process.

As I read the list, protecting California's nut farmers seems to be one goal.
I'm surprised they don' have anything on the laurel wilt which is killing the red bay trees in the south east.
Florida's concerns that red bay being in the avocado family the Laurel wilt will decimate the avocado groves.

Al

Last edited:
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
In Short - Don't bring unprocessed wood into California

I played a small part in getting a small pamphlet included in the packet of Symposium information that each attendee will receive when they sign-in upon arrival at the symposium - this pamphlet explains various wood-related pests and diseases, and was compiled and written by foresters, plant pathologists, entomologists, and conservation people. It is meant to inform users of wood about potential threats, and the contents of the pamphlet and recommendations have been endorsed by the AAW. The intention is to have this compiled information put up on a web page so that everyone will have access to it, and not just those that attend the Symposium. When the site is up, I will post it to various woodturning forums.

This is a really serious issue, and I hope that all woodturners become educated in the problems we are faced with as a group of folks who really appreciate wood, and more importantly, those that frequently use "raw" wood resources. The reality is that people who unknowingly (or knowingly) transport pests and/or diseases make it much worse for everyone, and risk creating some major ecological and potentially economic disasters.

To those of you who will attend the symposium in San Jose (see you there!), please read the pamphlet we have included in your packet of materials that you receive at registration time, and refrain from transporting wood that may potentially harbor bugs and other 'wee beasties' that could cause permanent and lasting damage. This does not only apply when you are attending the Symposium in California, but also in your daily practices at your home and local region. We can't let our guard down ANYWHERE....!!

Rob Wallace

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
I agreed months ago to bring hackberry for Alain Mailland, as I have gotten it for him before, and that's what he uses in France (a close relative at least).

I didn't know that it was going to be quite such a deal, and we are just now finding out that I'll have to have it documented here in TN.:(:rolleyes:

I totally understand and agree with the reasons, and Rob's post is on the money, but damn-I was just trying to be helpful. :rolleyes: I don't know what is going to happen at this point, and I have to leave in a week.

Leaving green wood at home would not be an answer if I was doing a demo, as that's all I know how to do.

See some of you there.

John

Website
Www.MartinPens.com
interpreting the list

I am wanting to bring an instant gallery item that is a natural edge cherry bowl. I live in California and will be driving up to San Jose. Am I interpreting the "no bark" rule to include natural edge pieces? A little help, please. This is my first Symposium.

Regards

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I am wanting to bring an instant gallery item that is a natural edge cherry bowl. I live in California and will be driving up to San Jose. Am I interpreting the "no bark" rule to include natural edge pieces? A little help, please. This is my first Symposium.

Regards

I don't know the answer......

Martin.....I see you are from California.

Is the wood native to California? This would be an interesting point, as it seems the California laws probably don't apply to woods that are grown in California.

Are the restrictions, due to AAW policy......or, are they an attempt at compliance to local law?

ooc

Website
www.velvitoil.com

Regards

According to the information the restrictions apply to all unprocessed wood brought into California.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Martin:

I am sure you are going to enjoy this symposium!! Hope to meet you there!

The AAW is complying with the State of California's restrictions on wood IMPORTATION into the state, which is consistent with specific federal restrictions on moving wood and wood products due to various pests and diseases. It is not a restriction put in place by the AAW - it is the result of the AAW following the state and federal restrictions which are being observed at the Symposium, simply because we are "wood people". The AAW needs to follow these policies for all wood products being entered into the state of California from other states. It is not unusual to do so, but given the nature of our activities, it does influence a lot of people!! This issue will not go away at future Symposia. I haven't even looked into what will need to take place next year in Florida!)

Your natural-edged bowl should be OK since it currently "lives" in California. Even though the wood is 'processed' (i.e. turned and finished), I would still have some anxiety about bringing one of my natural edged cherry or hickory bowls from Iowa! One piece I am bringing (maple burl) has a few bark inclusions, but the entire piece is lacquered and sealed. (Trying to get a ruling on this one from CA Dept of Agriculture........ ...just to alleviate my angst about bringing it...!)

The "bark-on" burls which are intended to be brought into California are apparently verboten. Unless documentation of source (and perhaps even documentation of fumigation) from appropriate authorities accompanies any shipment (whether commercially shipped or being brought-in by individuals) of restricted wood products, the items risk confiscation and/or being destroyed, and the possibility of fines being imposed on the 'offender(s)'.

What I don't know is where and how the enforcement will take place - at airports, along roads entering California, etc.

You should be OK with your bowl - I'll look for it in the IG..... (Stop by after the banquet and introduce yourself - I'm one of the EOG auctioneers...)

See you next week!

Rob

What I don't know is where and how the enforcement will take place - at airports, along roads entering California, etc.

Rob, not sure about California, but next year at Florida, on I-95 there is a stop when you get in /and going out for all trucks for inspection of wood. it is in addition to a weigh station at the border. i have no idea if you are in a car with wood turnings if you need to stop, maybe Al can find out or one of the Jacksonville clubs could find out. i assume that the other interstate border (I-75 & I-10) crossing have the same thing .

Back