• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hollow Pro Tools By Mike Jackofsky

Website
www.elegance-in-wood.com
Anyone using the Hollow Pro Tools By Mike Jackofsky? I have viewed his demo and find them interesting except for the price. The 5/8" Bent shaft goes for $210 with cutter assembly and the straight shaft for $207, both un-handled. I currently use the John Jordan and Dennis stewart hollowers and just started using them on the Monster Articulated hollowing System. I like the ability of rotating the angle of the cutter assembly of the Hollow Pro. Seems like you could get away with just using the bent hollower. Any thoughts on this?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Regards...........Ralph

This is the link for the tools at Crafts Supplies:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Holl
owing_Tools___Hollow_Pro_Hollowing_Tools___Hollow_Pro_Tool__
_hollow_pro?Args=

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ralph,
Haven't used these tools.
If you are coming to San Jose, I suspect mike will use these in his demos.

Mike Jackofsky
FRIDAY 3:50 PM 5:20 PM Making a living from woodturning
FRIDAY 11:00 AM 12:30 PM Getting started in hollowing
FRIDAY 9:10 AM 10:40 AM Using hand-held hollowing tools
SATURDAY 4:00 PM 5:30 PM Natural-edge hollow vessels
SATURDAY 1:30 PM 3:00 PM Creating hollow vessels
SUNDAY 2:00 PM 3:30 PM Using hand-held hollowing tools
SUNDAY 11:00 AM 12:30 PM Getting started in hollowing

If you can hollow all the shapes you want to do with the Stewart and Jordan tools, I would say spend your money on something else.

The articulating tip can reach some places the conventional bent tools cannot. And you have the advantage and disadvantage of the carbide tips.
I use the Bosch and Stewart tools for most if my hollowing. For shapes the bent tool won't reach I have an extreme bent Bosch tool and a couple of tools made by my friend CA Savoy.

Al

Last edited:
Website
www.elegance-in-wood.com
Hi Al,

Thanks for commenting. I too use the JJ tools but I needed a scraper/carbide type cutter for finishing cuts. I know John says you don't need one if you use his tool correctly but I definitely need one. I will be going to San Jose and probably spend a lot of time at the Vendor Show and will certainly check all the available hollowing tools I can. I really appreciate your input, many Thanks.

Best Regards...............Ralph

Ralph,
Haven't used these tools.
If you are coming to San Jose, I suspect mike will use these in his demos.

If you can hollow all the shapes you want to do with the Stewart and Jordan tools, I would say spend your money on something else.

The articulating tip can reach some places the conventional bent tools cannot. And you have the advantage and disadvantage of the carbide tips.
I use the Bosch and Stewart tools for most if my hollowing. For shapes the bent tool won't reach I have an extreme bent Bosch tool and a couple of tools made by my friend CA Savoy.

Al

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Ralph:

I have recently used the Jacofsky hollower (Straight tool) when I was in a class at Jimmy Clewes' Las Vegas shop in March. I hollowed a tall mesquite vase form with it, and it did a very good job - I liked the carbide cutter and the way it finished the interior surface. this is not unlike the Munro hollower or Jamieson boring bar using the 6 mm Hunter carbide cutter. I normally do most of my hollowing with a John Jordan Hollower, a Rolly Munro Hollower, or a Jamieson captured bar system. While I really liked the Jacofsky tool, I simply couldn't justify the expense for a 5th hollowing system - you are correct that it is somewhat pricey. Even with our last club order from Craft Supplies (13% discount) I decided to not pull the trigger on yet another hollowing system; three or four is fine for the time being!

I may be doing some experimenting with some "personal tool development" after I get back from the Symposium....???

If you can afford it, the Jacofsky system works well - try it if you can, and compare it to other systems.

Rob Wallace

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have a swan neck, and straight Hunter tool. The main difference I see with these tools and the Jackofsky is the angled mounting of the carbide cutter.

I'm having a difficult time envisioning how that angle would be of more advantage than just turning the Hunter on it's axis so the cutter is angled.

Maybe someone who has hands-on experience with both can comment.

The Hunter tools seem to work fine for the purpose, but maybe there's a better mouse trap!......?

I don't do hollow forms, but I often do bowls with an inward curved rim......very similar, because there is a need to get up under that rim, just like many hollow forms........

ooc

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have most of the Hunter tools. I like them but have to say that the Jakofsky tools are my least favorite. It could simply be that I haven't used them enough to get past the learning curve. If you've watched any of my Hunter tool video's you know I like to play with them and when used properly they are excellent tools. Go to www.youtube.com and type in John60Lucas and you can find them all.
I do use the smaller swan neck type Hunter tools for hollowing and like them so as I said above It could just be that I need to spend more time with the Jacofsky tools. They just seem sort of grabby to me and that usually goes away with proper technique. However the difference in price between say John Jordan tool and the Jacofsky might make it an easy decision.
Other than not ever having to sharpen the tools I don't see a real advantage to the Jacofsky tools and John Jordan's tools. At the end of one of my sharpening video's I show How I sharpen the Jordan style cutters. It's extremely easy and takes just seconds so I don't see that as a loss of time and since it's so easy to do no reason not to sharpen often.
The Hunter Hercules tool has more tilt to the cutter and is easier to use. I don't believe Mike Hunter has a swan neck version of the Hercules yet but he's always experimenting.
I do think the carbide tools are going to really help new turners. Most that I run into aren't very good at sharpening and that makes for a frustrated turner. With the Hunter tools and other carbide tools you simply start turning. There is still a learning curve to some of the tools but you can simply take the sharpening equation out.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
SEE Hollowing methods and tools in San Jose

One of the great features of the AAW symposium is being able to see and compare methods and tools. both in the demonstrations and in the tradeshow
I edited in Mikes schedule earlier but thought I should post his and othe hollow turners separately.

Mike Jackofsky
FRIDAY 3:50 PM 5:20 PM Making a living from woodturning
FRIDAY 11:00 AM 12:30 PM Getting started in hollowing
FRIDAY 9:10 AM 10:40 AM Using hand-held hollowing tools
SATURDAY 4:00 PM 5:30 PM Natural-edge hollow vessels
SATURDAY 1:30 PM 3:00 PM Creating hollow vessels
SUNDAY 2:00 PM 3:30 PM Using hand-held hollowing tools
SUNDAY 11:00 AM 12:30 PM Getting started in hollowing

More hollow forms
name Day START END title
Brian McEvoy SATURDAY 8:00 AM 9:30 AM Deep hollowing with the large captive boring bar
Brian McEvoy SATURDAY 10:30 AM 12:00 PM Deep hollowing with the large captive boring bar
J. Paul Fennell FRIDAY 9:10 AM 10:40 AM Homemade tools & jigs
J. Paul Fennell FRIDAY 11:00 AM 12:30 PM Hollow form techniques
J. Paul Fennell SATURDAY 1:30 PM 3:00 PM Decorative techniques & design
J. Paul Fennell SATURDAY 4:00 PM 5:30 PM Homemade tools & jigs
J. Paul Fennell SUNDAY 8:00 AM 9:30 AM Hollow form techniques
J. Paul Fennell SUNDAY 2:00 PM 3:30 PM Decorative techniques & design
Lyle Jamieson FRIDAY 9:10 AM 10:40 AM Foundations of hollow-form turning
Lyle Jamieson FRIDAY 11:00 AM 12:30 PM Foundations of bowl turning
Lyle Jamieson SATURDAY 8:00 AM 9:30 AM Advanced hollow form techniques
Ron Gerton FRIDAY 3:50 PM 5:20 PM Using a router on your Lathe
Ron Gerton SATURDAY 8:00 AM 9:30 AM Turning with a strobe
Ron Gerton SATURDAY 10:30 AM 12:00 PM Using a router on your Lathe
Ron Gerton SUNDAY 8:00 AM 9:30 AM Listening to your inner voice
Ron Gerton SUNDAY 11:00 AM 12:30 PM Turning with a strobe
Stuart Mortimer FRIDAY 11:00 AM 12:30 PM Twisting hollow forms
Stuart Mortimer SATURDAY 10:30 AM 12:00 PM Standard hollow form and finials
Stuart Mortimer SUNDAY 2:00 PM 3:30 PM Standard hollow form and finials

Website
www.elegance-in-wood.com
Hi Rob,

Thanks for all your input. You're right on about adding more tools, especially expensive ones, to what I currently have. The main reason I was looking was that I use the John Jordan hollowers that I like very much but there is no scraper cutter capability provided for finish cuts and that is why the Jacofsky hollowers seemed the answer.....until I saw the price. The Munro hollowers also seemed to be excellent but they too were almost $300 un-handled. I currently use my old Dennis Stewart hook tool for finish cuts. I just purchased the Jamieson/Hunter carbide cutter but haven't used it enough to make a decision on it's effectiveness. I did plunk out some money for the Monster Hollowing System and have only used it for 4 bowls. I must say it is one very well constructed unit and works very well, money well spent as now at my age white knuckeling hollow vessels isn't much fun. Using the laser isn't as easy as it appears because you have to keep moving the laser in order to keep it at 90 degrees to the cutter in order to get an accurate measurement. I'm still having some difficulty but I am confident with more practice it will become easier. I am using my same hollowers with the Monster.

Sorry for ranting on.

Again, Thank You for your input.

Best Regards.............Ralph
...................................................................................

I have recently used the Jacofsky hollower (Straight tool) when I was in a class at Jimmy Clewes' Las Vegas shop in March. I hollowed a tall mesquite vase form with it, and it did a very good job - I liked the carbide cutter and the way it finished the interior surface. this is not unlike the Munro hollower or Jamieson boring bar using the 6 mm Hunter carbide cutter. I normally do most of my hollowing with a John Jordan Hollower, a Rolly Munro Hollower, or a Jamieson captured bar system. While I really liked the Jacofsky tool, I simply couldn't justify the expense for a 5th hollowing system - you are correct that it is somewhat pricey. Even with our last club order from Craft Supplies (13% discount) I decided to not pull the trigger on yet another hollowing system; three or four is fine for the time being!

I may be doing some experimenting with some "personal tool development" after I get back from the Symposium....???

If you can afford it, the Jacofsky system works well - try it if you can, and compare it to other systems.

Rob Wallace[/QUOTE]

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
That's what I was going to suggest. You can purchase the #1 Hunter cutter in bars that will fit the Jordan hollowing tools. It can be tilted to function as more of a finishing cutter. Might give you the advantage of both tools.

Website
www.elegance-in-wood.com
Thanks Odie, John & Hockenberry

Thanks for your comments. John, I have seen several of your videos, excellent information, thanks for the links. I am leaning towards keeping what I have but will definitely have a look-see at San Jose next month.

Hockenberry: Are those demonstrations you have listed all being held at the Vendor Show? I won't be attending the Symposium just going to the Vendor Show and to the exhibits/gallery. I live so close but have other commitments interfering with attending the full 3 days.

Thanks again and Best Regards..............Ralph

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Ralph
The demonstration schedule i shared is for the registered AAW Members.

The Trade show is open to the public. Lots of booths have chips flying to attract people.
There are always lots of people showing tools and what they do.
Generally these are focused on promoting a tool, lathe, or the company.

I learned to chased threads watching AlanBatty in an AAW trade show a long time ago.

The trade show demos are usually casual and a little unfocused as there is lot of interaction with customers and not an orderly presentation on how to do something.
It is a great place to see tools in use up close.

Al

Last edited:
Website
www.elegance-in-wood.com
Thanks Al, I kind of thought that was what you were referring to. :mad:It is a pity I can't attend the Symposium living just 65 miles away but it is impossible to change plans.

Thanks again for all the information, enjoy the Symposium.

Best Regards............Ralph

Ralph
The demonstration schedule i shared is for the registered AAW Members.

The Trade show is open to the public. Lots of booths have chips flying to attract people.
There are always lots of people showing tools and what they do.
Generally these are focused on promoting a tool, lathe, or the company.

I learned to chased threads watching AlanBatty in an AAW trade show a long time ago.

The trade show demos are usually casual and a little unfocused as there is lot of interaction with customers and not an orderly presentation on how to do something.
It is a great place to see tools in use up close.

Al

Ralph,
You are missing out with the Symposium this close - but it is good that you are going to the trade show and hopefully the instant gallery.

Hollowing tools - I believe you said that you had the Stewart tool. Why can't you put a tear drop cutter on the end of your Stewart "Hooker tool" and tilt it on it's side a bit - making a shear cut on the inside. If the opening on your hollow vessel is not too small - it is not too difficult to do. You can actually do this with your John Jordan tools also. I do not see how a carbide tool will cut that much smoother than a tool bit (10% cobalt) like what John Jordan uses in his tools.

Come over sometime and we can make up some tear drop scrappers for your tools. Cheap and easy to make. :D:D:D

Hugh

Website
www.elegance-in-wood.com
Hi Hugh, you sure are right, hate missing the sessions but will at least get to enjoy the Trade Show and Instant Gallery, not a total loss.

I do use the tear drop cutter on my Stewart hooker tool in shear scraper mode. I guess I get all enthused when I see someone in a video demonstrating their tools, especially the carbide cutter hollowing tools. I'm sure the JJ and Stewart tools will work just as well. I appreciate your offer for me to stop and to make up some cutters but I guess I am behind the 8 ball this year as I just received my order yesterday from Crafts Supplies, 2 Sorby tear drop cutters, wouldn't you know it. I am not good at making tools so never thought of making my own. I haven't been to your shop so will drop by after the Symposium and visit and perhaps see how you make them. Thanks again Hugh.

Take Care Hugh and enjoy the Symposium and hopefully I'll run into you between sessions.

Best Regards...............Ralph

Ralph,
You are missing out with the Symposium this close - but it is good that you are going to the trade show and hopefully the instant gallery.

Hollowing tools - I believe you said that you had the Stewart tool. Why can't you put a tear drop cutter on the end of your Stewart "Hooker tool" and tilt it on it's side a bit - making a shear cut on the inside. If the opening on your hollow vessel is not too small - it is not too difficult to do. You can actually do this with your John Jordan tools also. I do not see how a carbide tool will cut that much smoother than a tool bit (10% cobalt) like what John Jordan uses in his tools.

Come over sometime and we can make up some tear drop scrappers for your tools. Cheap and easy to make. :D:D:D

Hugh

Back